Daily exercise log for everyone :)

53 minutes ago, AceWhite said:

Hi Katgirl we are in the May grey/ June gloom cycle right now here in Orange County. Overcast mornings with the fog burning off around 1 pm makes perfect weather for getting outside!! 

It was almost 100 here again. Temp should get back to normal soon. Hard to power walk when it’s this hot,  especially at my age….😳😬

3 hours ago, AceWhite said:

Most days my other ride is your momma, but this sexy girl will do for today-

trek5200.thumb.JPG.8f8a6eadd10ff025e3f1c5c8d26bbc69.JPG

I have a Trek hybrid. I need to take it in and get it road worthy, since it’s been so long since I’ve ridden it.

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AceWhite said:

Lance rode a Trek too!

I didn’t know that. I assume you are referring to Armstrong. What a disappointment THAT guy turned out to be. I was a big fan. I have an FX 3, great mid-tier bike for exercise on or off road. It seems I have taken my pent up nervous energ from quitting and focused it on physical activity.

Edited by Katgirl

2 hours ago, Katgirl said:

I didn’t know that. I assume you are referring to Armstrong. What a disappointment THAT guy turned out to be. I was a big fan. I have an FX 3, great mid-tier bike for exercise on or off road. It seems I have taken my pent up nervous energ from quitting and focused it on physical activity.

Yes- Lance's issues are a hot topic

Regardless the guy had and still has crazy endurance.

The US Postal team was sponsored by Trek and they were his main sponsor for a number of years

• Like 1

May I just say, Holy EFF?!   IJUST DID MY SECOND BRISK WALK AND IT IS STILL 97  effing degrees outside. I brought water and drank 8 Oz on the trail and another 8, after I finished. As a trained medical professional,  I was a bit worried about doing this in such heat. I am fine, though. Heart rate when I finished was the same as it has been. The problem with me is that when I set a goal, there’s no turning back.  Had I skipped my walk, or even slowed it down, I would have been disappointed in myself. Being driven can be  a great personality trait, or…….sometimes dangerous.

KAT

Edited by Katgirl

One of my daughter’s friends participated in a triathlon there, maybe in 2015 or 16. Lisa, an amazing lady, founded Wear Blue: Run to Remember. Like my Erica, she lost her husband, in the war in Afghanistan, during the same action that we lost Tony.

I was out bright and early to beat the heat 6 a.m. it is for me. Very laughable as I have always been a night owl and here I am going to bed early now and out the door early but hey I can breath and feel good :)

• Like 6

@Dianne, you ARE an early bird. My routine is to wake up at 6, check my iPad for news, emails, engage in playful banter with my guy, etc, take a fistful of heart meds and vitamins, then patiently wait for my man to bring me my coffee. After I drink it, quickly, (I read somewhere that caffeine,before exercise, is a good idea), I get up,  get dressed,, then out the door for my morning power walk. By then, it’s about 9:00. This morning , at @Mac#23’s inspiration, I am taking my Trek FX 3 bike to a shop for a tuneup, so I can add yet another avenue for getting in better shape.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Katgirl said:

then patiently wait for my man to bring me my coffee. After I drink it, quickly, (I read somewhere that caffeine,before exercise, is a good idea), 

Coffee is a better and far more reliable drink than most, if not all, of those "pre-workout" drinks they sell at various health food and supplement places.  The pre-workout drinks are just highly caffeinated mixes.  The labeling looks impressive and the claims made by the company are many, but ultimately it's just caffeine.

And in my opinion, the best post-workout drink is still a glass of whole milk.  None of the supplement companies have developed a product yet that is better than whole milk.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Boo said:

And in my opinion, the best post-workout drink is still a glass of whole milk.  None of the supplement companies have developed a product yet that is better than whole milk.

Chocolate milk is my go to post workout drink!

• Like 2

Need help , fell off the wagon for weeks . I feel so much better when I excersise and walk and yet lately no motivation .  Need a kick in the rear I dunno but gotta get moving . One more day for the antibiotics and I won't be contagious, praying I can get back into my routine , need to get back into my routine , but wow this kicked me to the curb . Any advise welcomed . Maybe I'll try commitment ? Walk don't sit ? 

You guys and gals are doing awesome . Putting one foot in front of the other seems like work to me these days easier to lie on the couch  , now that's gotta stop ! Am I feeling sorry for myself , doing it to myself lol hmmmm . No excuses , heck I have a stationary , I will be on it today walk tomorrow .

I feel so much better too when I walk and exercise. Sounds like you talked yourself back into moving again. Hope you feel better soon :) I had to kick myself the last 2 days into it but I always glad after that I did.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Abby said:

Need help , fell off the wagon for weeks . I feel so much better when I excersise and walk and yet lately no motivation .  Need a kick in the rear I dunno but gotta get moving . One more day for the antibiotics and I won't be contagious, praying I can get back into my routine , need to get back into my routine , but wow this kicked me to the curb . Any advise welcomed . Maybe I'll try commitment ? Walk don't sit ? 

You guys and gals are doing awesome . Putting one foot in front of the other seems like work to me these days easier to lie on the couch  , now that's gotta stop ! Am I feeling sorry for myself , doing it to myself lol hmmmm . No excuses , heck I have a stationary , I will be on it today walk tomorrow .

Start slow, but not until you feel better physically. You should be resting, when under the weather. When you do feel up to it, take a leisurely walk around the black the first day. Pace yourself, then gradually increase your activity level .I am doing 2 20 minute cardio power walks every day. Sometimes I dread it, but then tell myself, I can withstand anything for 20: minutes, and make myself do it. You’ll get back in the swing of it.

It might just be my body got run down from this . Unfortunatly because of covid it took longer to get on antibiotics . Most colds or illnesses always hit me like a ton of bricks anyway so I think resting is something I need to do to gain that strength back . I just hate being a couch potato 🥔 

Good advise and encouragement . Thanks . I hope you are right though . I can stay in a comfort zone too long and sometimes need a shove  @Katgirl

Ha - this was all I needed .Tx again .  Pup needs her walk and they were shorter last week . I couldn't disappoint her so I put on my mask and did a forty min walk .. sweating bullets oh wow maybe thats a good thing  And I do feel better for doing it . She's tired now and happy so am I . 

• Like 2

Just finished my first 20 minute cardio walk of the day. My resting pulse rate is 64. When finished my walk, it is exactly double, or 128, which is exactly what a target heart rate should be for a 70 year old. When I started my routine walks, several weeks ago, my heart rate would be about 15 bpm higher, when done. This tells me, I am getting in better condition, and strengthening my heart. This is good for me, as I do have heart issues. Fear not, though, friends. My cardiologist has ok’d my workout routine. I actually checked with him, before starting. Those of us who are older, or those who have any chronic medical conditions, should always check with our physicians, before beginning a workout routine, especially since we are ex-smokers. 

Nurse KAT

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 4

When I get back from my very long road trip, I am treating myself ( more likely getting my boyfriend to treat me😂) to a nice treadmill. It will be too hot by then,  to exercise outside, plus I want to lengthen my time and have control over my speed and the ability to monitor my heart rate. Looks like I can pick up a nice machine for a bit over a grand. I have been researching them online. Just finished my 2nd workout of the day. Heart rat was right at target, for an old broad, and I felt the endorphins kick in after 10 minutes, which is important , for me. I am so proud that I haven’t missed one session, since I started about 3 weeks ago.

• Like 1