Daily exercise log for everyone :)

6 hours ago, Sunshine59 said:

I didn't feel much pressure doing a 20 x 6 pushups this time , I thought i lost that touch after i took a 3 days break from the gym .

You typically will not lose gains made in strength work from a brief layoff.  I recently pulled way back on strength work due to a wrist injury.  Took two weeks off and following one primer workout was able to pick right back up where I left off.

Cardio on the other hand...when I take a break from running and start back up again, those first couple of runs are brutal.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Boo said:

You typically will not lose gains made in strength work from a brief layoff.  I recently pulled way back on strength work due to a wrist injury.  Took two weeks off and following one primer workout was able to pick right back up where I left off.

Cardio on the other hand...when I take a break from running and start back up again, those first couple of runs are brutal.  

Thanks for the reply ,

I thought i would feel exhausted when doing the pushups after 3 days , but somehow i was able to retain the stamina to do it , Good thing the muscles have build up enough stamina and remembers it .

My cardio workout is only the 20 minutes on the treadmill .That workout is a bit boring , so i watch Family guy episodes when i am on treadmill .

😊

• Like 2

Doing something a bit different with my workouts now.  I've never been one to obsess about personal records and chasing certain numbers and I don't advise that approach to others.  However, and perhaps a bit hypocritically, I'm focusing on achieving a Deadlift of 480 pounds or more.  That would be 2.5 times my current body-weight.

Two things sent me down rabbit hole of chasing PR's.  I talked to my Dad's trainer and he makes a very good case for the Deadlift being the gold standard for assessing strength.  I also set a new PR for myself last week pulling 455.  I talk about how it's progress not specific numbers that are important, but damn...that number got me all worked up.

So, for the foreseeable future, I will be doing: Deadlifts(obviously), Romanian Deadlifts, Front Squats, Bent-Over Rows, Rack Pulls, and Farmer's Walks.  And to avoid imbalances and work the antagonists I will work in Overhead Presses and/or Bench Presses into every workout. 

28 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Wow !!...twice your body weight ...that quit impressive

Actually...455 is 2.37 times my current body-weight (192).

I hate to be nit-picky, but if I'm gonna commit to chasing PR's, that's gonna involve me turning into one of those unbearable gym bro types that everybody agrees is a pain in the ass.

I'll try to keep the ostentatious displays of self-congratulatory posts to a minimum.  I'm not making any promises, but "I'll try."

image.png.0e3cb41e357d90d5bb8097bccb1a5bfb.png

Back from gym again ,

4 different type machine workouts

120 pushups

10 crunches  only (crunches really hurts , so i could only do 10  )

10 leg raises ( same thing , this one hurts too )

60 dumbbells

20 minutes treadmill

Edited by Sunshine59
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Time to get back out on the trail and do some running.  Heading over to Laurel-Snow this morning, run out to Bryan Overlook and back for a total of 10.8 miles.

Just waiting on the sun to come up over the ridge.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 3:05 PM, Boo said:

I'm focusing on achieving a Deadlift of 480 pounds or more.

Pulled 465 this afternoon.  Added a couple of 2.5's to get to 470 but hitched it so it doesn't count.

Slow and steady wins the race.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve63 said:

Those are some serious stats Boo . You are a beast . 

Thanks Steve.  Back in early 2016 I smoked more than a pack of cigarettes per-day, drank way too much, had terrible eating habits, and was leading an increasingly sedentary lifestyle.  Then I quit smoking and channeled my addictive tendencies towards health and fitness (I'm not good at doing things in moderation).  Feel better now than I did twenty years-ago.

10 hours ago, Steve63 said:

I am working my way torwards 5k running !

Good call.  I've seen folks who went through amazing transformations that started with a 5k plan.  I like how those plans can be adapted to anyone at any level and they provide clear and measurable goals to work towards.

Happy running Steve.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Boom!  Pulled 485 pounds on the Deadlift this morning.

Listened to an episode of the Barbell Logic podcast a few weeks ago and changed up my technique for a one-rep max lift based on their advice.  Slowed it down...way down.  Basically pulled the lift in increments, really focusing on the feeling of trying to push my legs through the floor.  Strength is vital in lifting, but technique can be a game changer.

Well...I think I've patted myself on the back enough for today.

• Like 2

I don't go to the gym, I go to Aqua Zumba, plus do my own flexible exercises at home to music, For Balance, strength, Fun workout with 2 tracks of music and dance, plus fast walking my little dog 20 laps around my house. Need to Loose weight now,  so more dancing and less eating. 

• Like 3

We (Mrs Steve and myself) are now on Week 7 of the Couch to 5 K . Absolutely loving it , now it’s 3 runs of 25 minutes each this week . I am only grumpy now when it’s a rest day ! This a great reinforcement for the quit and the buzz after exercise is addictive e😎

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went over to Laurel-Snow this morning.  Ran out to Bryan Overlook and back for a total of 10.8 miles.  It was a cold and rainy morning, but the rain slowed to a drizzle just after sunrise.  Made for a perfect start to a day in the woods with the sun breaking through the fog.  Added bonus: following two-straight rainy days, the waterfalls were roaring this morning.  A fine day.

On New Year's Day, I ran the Hemphill Bald loop over in North Carolina(13.8 miles).  Getting some trail miles on the legs is a good way to start a new year.

• Like 2

i was thinking of your post the other day, Its strange but I drank from your cup of rain filling me with longing to have clear skies and lots of falling water. I would just walk in it for a while and not wear a raincoat. My exercises have had to remain inside due to too much smoke outside. Still doing them though. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2020 at 3:49 PM, forestgreen said:

i was thinking of your post the other day, Its strange but I drank from your cup of rain filling me with longing to have clear skies and lots of falling water. I would just walk in it for a while and not wear a raincoat. My exercises have had to remain inside due to too much smoke outside. Still doing them though. 

On a serious note: I hope you and your fellow Aussies get the relief you need and deserve very soon.  Watched a news report online last night about the fires down under...heartbreaking and devastating.  Godspeed Australia.

On a lighter note: walking or running out in the woods during a rain is one of the most underrated things in life.  I've found very few places as peaceful as the woods on a rainy day.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Steve63 said:

Just finished Couch to 5K , onwards to 10k and faster times !

Great job Steve.  

You're making great strides.  (sorry 'bout the terrible pun)

• Like 2

Doing my exercises, and also on a diet since Christmas thought I was doing well with 3/4 hour inside and outside with my little dog, different ones. Put myself on the scales this morning, no losses since the 2kg, whats going on! No bread no cakes either. I feel stronger in my leg muscles that's all. I have no desire to run ks, but I walk pretty fast.

• Like 4