Daily exercise log for everyone :)

39 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Have fun!

Just curious tho .... why do you need a permit to go hiking there? Isn't it public land if it's a National Park?

By regulating the number of permits that are issued they are able to prevent the the park from becoming over crowded 🧗‍♂️

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BKP said:

Just got my permit approval for a 4-5 day backpacking trip in August to Rae Lakes Loop in Kings Canyon National Park (near Yosemite). Very excited. This trip would not have been possible if I were still a smoker.

Is the permit so they can keep watch on you if you don't return on time?  Be safe - no daredevil moves or selfies on the edges.  It is beautiful there.  I have seen a lot of the mountains in the US and Canada.  My dream trip is to take my husband to Banff, Alberta .  From what I remember, as a child, there weren't any guardrails on the edges of the roads.  My mother white knuckled it the whole trip.  We would have to come up with ways to keep me distracted on the drive.

9 minutes ago, Linda Thomas said:

Is the permit so they can keep watch on you if you don't return on time?  Be safe - no daredevil moves or selfies on the edges.  It is beautiful there.  I have seen a lot of the mountains in the US and Canada.  My dream trip is to take my husband to Banff, Alberta .  From what I remember, as a child, there weren't any guardrails on the edges of the roads.  My mother white knuckled it the whole trip.  We would have to come up with ways to keep me distracted on the drive.

Yup ....still no guardrails :) 

ReadyTallEquestrian-size_restricted.gif

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, reciprocity said:

Yup ....still no guardrails :) 

Okay Reci, you just had to show me that gif  😮.  I remember it being so beautiful, with the mountains surrounding the little town.  I don't think there will be a way around the mountains.

Just going to have to bite the bullet.  This is on my bucket list!

• Haha 2

You and hubby can always get yourselves wingsuits and base jump into town from on top of one of the mountain peaks?

Avoids driving through the mountains on those dangerous roads with no guardrails :) .

tenor.gif?itemid=3372576

Edited by reciprocity
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all finally breaking fre a bit from my winter funk.....been back at running outside again and walking....need to reign my eating habits in a bit. I gained 9lbs need to lose it. How is everyone else doing? Now if it would warm up a bit and stop being grey and rainy so I can put my hottub up and enjoy outside.

Lisa

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BKP said:

First mountain hike since I had surgery in March. Hidden Lake. So peaceful.

Hope you had better weather than we did.  Hiked some of the Three Gorges section of the Cumberland Trail today.  The rain was coming down sideways for a while.

Wasn't a total loss.  Found a nice rock outcropping to take shelter under and the lightning strikes over North Chickamauga Creek looked pretty awesome.

Had a good run this morning.  Got out early and ran while the sun was still coming up.  Did an out-and-back from the Roaring Creek trailhead up to Gilbreath Creek for a total of 9.8 miles.

It was nice.  I had thousands of acres all to myself.  Apparently, so-called normal people don't go out on trails at 5:30 a.m. on a Thursday morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BKP said:

Just got back from a 10 mile hike in the mountains. I’m so grateful that quitting smoking has opened up this amazing new world for me

Your hikes are always so beautiful. My brother lives in Redondo Beach and when we visit he just wants us to go sight seeing.  You need to put a place and name on your hikes so  we can 

try some of them.  Then again, we are to old farts, we might not have the endurance you do.  

• Haha 1

Got back to work this morning.  I took a few days off.  My left elbow was all flared up and after several days of running, my body needed rest more than it needed another workout.

Got back to the basics today: Strength work (Front Squats, Overhead Press, Bench Press, Chin-Ups, and Farmer's Walks), 20 minutes of steady-state work on the rower, and finished up with a mobility session.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes, but I'm finally figuring out that rest and recovery are vital parts of any physical regimen.

27 minutes ago, Boo said:

I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes, but I'm finally figuring out that rest and recovery are vital parts of any physical regimen.

That balance between physical exertion and rest/recovery changes with age too. Keep that in mind as you age.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 2:54 PM, reciprocity said:

That balance between physical exertion and rest/recovery changes with age too. Keep that in mind as you age.

Okay, we are camping and my husband decided we were going to hike from the campground into the town.  He didn't tell me it would be through a cemetery  (I met all the dead people of Lebanon, Ohio) and down a hill (which would be up on the way home).  He said it was only 1 and  1/2 miles.  Turned out to be 4.37 miles and 9,397 steps.  What were we thinking.  We both are too out of shape for this kind of hike.  Someone actually stopped and asked us if we needed help in the cemetery.  We were to embarrassed to say yes "give us a ride back to the campground".

We did however have some good laughs at ourselves.  We did make it back to the campground.  I will let you know if we can move tomorrow!!!!! 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Started a new program today: Three days per week.  Focused on power and movement.  Programmed the exercises based on Dan John's Basic Human Movements(Squat, Hinge, Loaded Carry, Push, Pull, Rotation, and Counter-Rotation).

Started the workout with Farmer's Walks (which should come as no surprise) then moved on to pulling a sled arm-over-arm with a rope.  Did some Kettlebell Swings, Single-Leg Kettlebell Deadlifts, Push Press, Sled Push, and finished up the workout with Turkish Get-Ups.

Only one-day in, but this feels like a program I am going to stick with for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Sled work and Farmer's Walks again today.  I've discussed at length my love of the Farmer's Walk, it's a great exercise.  I have another new gym obsession now: the sled.  You can work every muscle in your body with only a few sled exercises.  And, sled work is fun (of course I understand that my idea of fun and yours may not be the same).

If you're interested in doing some sled work yourself, here is an introductory video...

And one more video I found very helpful.  If you are familiar with the Squat, you've probably heard the phrase "ass-to-grass or it doesn't count."  This is nothing more than an anecdote that gym bros have turned into holy writ.  Here is Mark Rippetoe explaining why not only does one not need to go ass-to-grass but why squatting that deep is not optimal...

• Like 1