Daily exercise log for everyone :)

I start cardiac rehab in 2 weeks! ? I have been a slug for last 5 months which is so unlike me but had to follow dr's orders....I started gradually getting back into my power walking since Monday so I don"t embarrass myself during my cardiac rehab assessment session.....

image.png.1cdcaa0a7c5c5723932aa7768281706b.png

• Like 5

I enquired today about a local boxing club. Two evenings a week 6 - 8. Don't think there are any lassies that go though which would be a bit strange. I'm not interested in getting in the ring, just the work out which I've heard is very good. Anyone else been to a boxing club and can tell me a bit about it? 

I think I will go for it after my holiday, I need to try something new #stuck in a rut 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WeegieWoman said:

I enquired today about a local boxing club. Two evenings a week 6 - 8. Don't think there are any lassies that go though which would be a bit strange. I'm not interested in getting in the ring, just the work out which I've heard is very good. Anyone else been to a boxing club and can tell me a bit about it? 

I think I will go for it after my holiday, I need to try something new #stuck in a rut 

Boxing is a phenomenal workout.  There are so many skills to work on (footwork, punching, ducking, slipping, bobbing, angles, etc., etc.) that it is pretty much impossible to get bored with a boxing regimen.

The first thing I would tell anyone looking at going to a boxing gym for the first time is this: don't be intimidated by the boxing gym.  The trainers and fighters I encountered at the gym were all good guys who were interested in teaching people new skills regardless of what level they were at.  There won't be any pressure to get in the ring if you don't want to.  In fact, sparring is done in such a regulated manner in boxing gyms now, setting up a full-speed session in the ring is a process that involves a lot of scheduling and waiting.

The trainers at boxing gyms enjoy working with female clients.  If most are being honest, they would rather work with beginner level women than men.  Many of us men bring a lot of preconceived notions about boxing to the gym with us.  Sometimes we men are guilty of thinking we know more than we do about fighting and thinking we're more advanced than we actually are.  You know...the whole male pride and machismo thing.  Trainers waste a lot of time with some men making them "unlearn" things.  In the gym environment, women are on average more likely to admit that they don't know something.  Which makes the trainer's job easier.

If at first the training doesn't seem as exciting as you thought it might be, be patient.  The fundamentals come first at the gym.  Setting up in a proper stance, learning to move your feet correctly...these are the foundation that boxers are built on.  The fancy stuff doesn't work if the fundamentals are not there.  Some folks come to the gym expecting to learn to throw a left hook like Joe Frazier on day one.  Those people don't last long at the gym.

Boxing will test you at every level.  Boxing will also benefit you at every level.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Boo said:

In the gym environment, women are on average more likely to admit that they don't know something. 

Not just in the Gym environment mate, ;) .

@WeegieWoman ... Boo is right though, the early stuff seems boring and like your not getting much from it but stick it out because learning the fundamentals mean your working your muscle groups correctly and you can get way more out of it. Boxing workouts are awesome, I did some a million years ago when I was doing all the physio for my ankles, it really helped with the strength side of things and helped with balance and mobility. What I found is if your there to do the work and not waste time the guys would go out of their way to be helpful but anyone (male or female) who was just doing it half arsed was given short shrift. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, had my evaluation for the cardio rehab program today....all went well!

Dr Lai was very nice and we went over the whole process from where the monitors are stored, how to put the sensors on and where they go (I will be monitored and have my blood pressure checked continuously while exercising), the equipment that I will be using...treadmill, stair stepper, bicycle and rowing machines...along with weights.

On Friday, will be going over how to actually use this equipment and giving it all a test run so he can see what kind of shape I am in and figure out my benchmarks.  He also explained that I will be learning how to train my muscle groups to maximize oxygen use which will lessen any strain on the heart and increase my endurance!  I am so looking forward to getting started in this program!! Hope to make some new friends along the way! ?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rozuki said:

Well, had my evaluation for the cardio rehab program today....all went well!

Dr Lai was very nice and we went over the whole process from where the monitors are stored, how to put the sensors on and where they go (I will be monitored and have my blood pressure checked continuously while exercising), the equipment that I will be using...treadmill, stair stepper, bicycle and rowing machines...along with weights.

On Friday, will be going over how to actually use this equipment and giving it all a test run so he can see what kind of shape I am in and figure out my benchmarks.  He also explained that I will be learning how to train my muscle groups to maximize oxygen use which will lessen any strain on the heart and increase my endurance!  I am so looking forward to getting started in this program!! Hope to make some new friends along the way! ?

Roz

Really encouraged to hear you’re taking this positive step on your road to recovery. Wishing you results that exceed your highest expectations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I used to love body combat when I did the gym thing before the kid. Of all the classes they offered body combat was hands down my fave. Wish I could still do it but I'd probably keel over in middle of class. I used to do body combat and then a class that was like a cross between yoga and tai chi afterwards.. it was great.

• Like 2

Its annoying and is limiting things I can do, so I was walking the dogs twice a day and I can't do that anymore the poor buggers but they are just two big for me to manage.But it will get better once they get the thyroid sorted. Have started doing some hyrdotherapy stuff twice a week and have the other day I even got in a few slow laps.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2018 at 10:57 PM, notsmokinjo said:

What's stopping me now... um, ankle, knees, hips, neck, shoulder, heart... definately the heart, and not lack of heart but dodgy heart... :D I get out of breath washing the dishes and go into palpitations and tachycardia.

Jo ...could you benieft from gentle Qi Gong...you could pick the parts you might find comfortable....check it out on you tube...

You can stand still and still have a work out....or chair excersises..... Tony has been given these....just a thought sweetie !!!

• Like 1

Did a thru-hike this morning.  Hiked a new section of the Cumberland Trail, the Soak Creek Trail and 5.3 miles of the Piney River Section.  A total of 12.8 miles.

Putting the finishing touches on a climbing wall that me and a friend built in my new gym.  Between having my own wall and being surrounded by great rock, I'm looking to do a lot of climbing this fall.

• Like 1