Smokey Dreams

Sazerac

I saw on the NOPE thread that our friend, @Tammy

had bad smokey dreams last night.

It is always horrible to realize how deep out addiction goes.

Our subconscious is ripe ground and it takes time to purge.

It is a wake up call to how entrenched addiction is.

But, there is also a physical reason, it is about the cilia in our lungs removing tar.

Joel says interesting things about Dreams in this video,

how the cilia are continuing to clean up while we sleep

which may generate smells and taste of tobacco and trigger the dream.

Should you want to delve deeper into the psychology of this, here is a study on PDF.

Dream of Absent-Minded Transgressiohttps: An Empirical Study of a Cognitive Withdrawal

Abstract

Among 293 smokers abstinent for between 1 and 4 weeks, 33% reported having at least 1 dream about smoking. In most dreams, subjects caught themselves smoking and felt strong negative emotions, such as panic and guilt. Dreams about smoking were the result of tobacco withdrawal, as 97% of subjects did not have them while smoking, and their occurrence was significantly related to the duration of abstinence. They were rated as more vivid than the usual dreams and were as common as most major tobacco withdrawal symptoms. In subjects abstinent for 1 year, 63% recalled having dreams about smoking. They had on average 5 of them, and about a quarter occurred after the 6th month of abstinence. Having dreams about smoking was prospectively positively related to maintenance of abstinence. An explanation of this finding based on the association of smoking in dreams with aversive emotions is offered.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 3

Only had 2 smoking dreams after quitting.  The first was at 3 weeks and the other at 6 months.  Nothing since.  I do recall the immense sense of disappointment that I had failed my quit immediately upon awakening....and the tremendous relief when I realized it was only a dream.  To me this was more evidence that smoking was a consuming thought, even subconsciously, for several months after I quit. 

P.S. The first dream I was in bed smoking and all of my coworkers were sleeping on the floor, face down and butt naked.  A legitimate nightmare for sure. :51_scream:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, BKP said:

P.S. The first dream I was in bed smoking and all of my coworkers were sleeping on the floor, face down and butt naked.  A legitimate nightmare for sure. :51_scream:

I can't think of many scenario's where I couldnt resist smoking, but your dream scenery is pretty close ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1