How To Do Nothing w/out a smoke

Sazerac

Here is a vid from our friend, Joel, about 'how to do nothing w/out a smoke.

This part of quitting was hard for me.

In-between tasks or taking breaks I would usually sit on my back stoop and 

think about what to do next or just look at my garden...that light on that leaf.

I thought I needed a smoke to do this

but, I didn't need a smoke.

I needed the break, I needed some nice deep breaths of oxygen, I needed a moment to collect my thoughts.

Smoking was non essential and facilitated nothing but bondage.

• Like 7

^^ Yes, yes, yes....that was me also! Although I would sit on my front patio! ? It was difficult for me that first spring and summer of my 2017 Quit but I worked through it gradually and before I knew it the trigger was gone!!! 

• Like 5

yep, mrsguest it is hard.

I felt like jumping out of my skin

but, taking breaths (oxygen became my new drug of choice)

peeling a satsuma and enjoying that delicious-ness

helped me a lot. Also WATER.  Water water water !

And throwing any kind of distraction my way, jumping jacks, screaming showers etc.

I would sit and sketch or write just to give my fingers something to do.

@jillar  made a fake smoke with just a straw and sucked on that.

Believe us, mrsguest, it gets better.  You won't feel terrible forever, I promise.

Each crave you beat reclaims a receptor in your brain.

• Like 5

Oh yes my best friend was my JAC (jillars air cigarette) except I didn't use a straw or pen like many others had. Mine was invisible and I never had to worry about forgetting it anywhere lol.

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had to keep my mind busy ...jigsaws ...crosswords ...playing candy crush ....ect....

I didn't even know how to be a adult without my crutch....

But everytime I did  something without a smoke ...it got easier ....we have to retrain  our brains ....

Maybe start a new hobby...a few here have took up knitting ....knit a scarf....make it as long as you like ....

• Like 5

Oh my go to candy was soft peppermint puffs. I bought by the bucket that first six months or so lol. 

So my fellow Jill, I occupied my mind by staying glued to the board. I found that reading posts, supporting others, celebrating milestones, socializing and playing games really helped keep my mind off my misery :)

• Like 4

I struggle with this too. I now take my dog for 3 walks a day, ha! I work from home and I would go outside for a cigarette break every hour. Now I just go outside and look around at the neighborhood and take deep breaths. This doesn't cause cravings but I need the break. The association with smoking is getting weaker. 

• Like 7

G’day

My little saviour was a packet of tic tags.

Just like a cig packet, I had something to carry around and worry about losing.

I got to check the packet to make sure I wouldn’t run out before I could restock.

Most important I could allow myself a little reward inside a building even among non smokers! And it was socially except able to offer them around.

My blind friend got to recognise me by the fruity smell rather than the stinky smoke smell. 

I still keep a packet in my car... they are still my reward for staying calm in traffic without OD ing on to much sugar!

C

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1