Nearly 4 days in

tocevoD

35 minutes ago, tocevoD said:

I'm same as you mate. I just enjoy the runs but I've always timed and set myself targets. One target was to do a lap of the local park in under 20mins. Been trying for years, it's 2.3miles around. I finally did it the other day. Done the full lap in 19mins 40secs. With these little achievements coming thick and fast it is a great spur to stay quit. My lungs are clearing and times are falling. 

Good work.  Setting measurable targets is a surefire way to make constant progress.

I only quit timing my runs to protect my ego.

Me: I ran a point-to-point on the Cumberland Trail today, ## miles!

Other Runners: What was your time?

Me: The whole concept of time is a mystery.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 4 months later...

Haven't posted for a while. Just thought I'd drop in and let you all know how I'm doing. 

Well where to start? A rollercoaster year for me. Massive achievement's mixed with abject failures. Achievement's being the running, which is still going well albeit after a short hiatus due to niggling little injuries.

Failures being the couple of times I have actually smoked. Single days out being the main culprits, once at an all day music gig and two separate days out on the demon drink. I don't know why I bother drinking it always leads to smoking. There was one longer period of smoking which lasted a week. It started off with a 3 day holiday and when I returned from holiday I finished the rest of the week smoking. That was the beginning of August and that was the last time I smoked.

I seem to get to a point in my quit and then start looking for a reason to smoke. Before the 3 day holiday I had made my mind up I was going to be smoking for the 3 days. The grip had got me that much. Same with the one day music gig, I had decided before it I would be smoking that day.

I feel now like I will never smoke again. I have no feeling for it and no desire. I'm currently loving running and I have taken onboard a lot of the Allen Carr books teachings of the nicotine trap. I totally get what he is saying. I feel like the final hurdle is these urges that come out of nowhere that make me plan when I'm going to smoke. As I say at this moment there is no need or desire. It always comes with alcohol but I have no alcohol days planned. The cure could be to go out and have the day out if I must but to pre plan to leave when the urge comes. Just slope off to save my own sanity. It's more important than being a social, jovial soul.

Edited by tocevoD
  • Like 2

tocevoD, when I quit I was determined to keep enjoying my couple of beers in the evenings. I mean really, if I had to give that up to than I'd be perfect and who wants to be around that lol. Anyway, I stayed close to home for a good month. Only venturing out if my never smoker hubby could accompany me because I didn't trust myself and I made sure to have my couple of beers each evening. Even when I wasn't feeling like a beer. And it worked, drinking is not a factor at all and hasn't been from the start of my quit. Maybe try that this time?

Thanks for checking in, its good to see you :) 

Edited by jillar
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, tocevoD said:

That was the beginning of August and that was the last time I smoked.

Congratulations on quitting smoking, tocevoD !

Change your quit date from 31/12/18 to the date you actually quit smoking.

(so we can plan all your celebrations)

Drinking and smoking can often be real problems in a quit.

I have friends that only smoke when they drink and then go weeks without smoking.

It still means they have a nicotine addiction and it is the addiction we must confront.

For me, I kept away from alcohol for a few weeks and then just went for it.

I drank and didn't have any craves that I couldn't/wouldn't defeat.

It is a state of mind.  Either you smoke or you don't smoke.

Drinking will not lead you to smoking if you don't smoke,

it will only lead to smoking if you want it to.  If you are sabotaging your quit, you will undoubtedly succeed. 

I would ask you to consider why you relapsed.

Alcohol only lightens our inhibitions but, there may be a  chink in your armor that lets addiction through.

Your commitment needs to be rock solid w/ no misgivings or doubts and you need to be alert, awake and aware.

Putting Nicotine Addiction to sleep is serious business, a formidable opponent and not to be taken lightly at any time.

Hope Alan Carr can help you understand, he has helped so many.

This vid from our friend, Joel Spitzer, may also give you some clarity.

Edited by Sazerac

Glad to hear from you again, sad that you had to start your quit again.  All I can say is that you must commit to quitting smoking at all times.  Like you stated it seems that you pre-planned your smoking days/times -- giving in before the craves.  That type of thinking you need to stop as it comes up or make a  plan to overcome those desires and not to "miss" smoking.  Quitting is not the easiest thing but it is doable -- just come here more often to get some support and education, it really helps.  Anyway glad your at it again--- keep focused and keep strong!!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Change your quit date from 31/12/18 to the date you actually quit smoking.

(so we can plan all your celebrations)

Yes .... please make it easy for me. As smart as I may look (🤓), I'm not a mind reader.

A quit date in your profile makes it a lot easier to post up each celebration you so richly deserve.

If you don't have one or if it doesn't make sense ........

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

• 8 months later...

Random pop in due to another forum I am on making me think of QuitTrain.

Truth is I can't even remember the last time I had a ciggie now. It was that long ago. The lockdown over coronavirus in the UK has probably made it easier for all of us. Still running when my knee allows me. I don't have any urges for cigarettes at all now. I think if I was to go out on a night having a drink then the urge to have one would be with the alcohol. Pre coronavirus though I was hardly ever out. I've settled into the life of a chilled out 40+er. 

I think I need to accept that when I go out though that that urge will be there again. But what more can I do? I hardly ever go out as mentioned. Post coronavirus when I do eventually have a day out then that will be my next fight, eradicate it when having a drink. I've eradicated it from my every day life. Now onto the next step, whenever that may be with coronavirus around.

• Like 5

On 5/16/2020 at 3:41 AM, tocevoD said:

Random pop in due to another forum I am on making me think of QuitTrain.

Truth is I can't even remember the last time I had a ciggie now. It was that long ago. The lockdown over coronavirus in the UK has probably made it easier for all of us. Still running when my knee allows me. I don't have any urges for cigarettes at all now. I think if I was to go out on a night having a drink then the urge to have one would be with the alcohol. Pre coronavirus though I was hardly ever out. I've settled into the life of a chilled out 40+er. 

I think I need to accept that when I go out though that that urge will be there again. But what more can I do? I hardly ever go out as mentioned. Post coronavirus when I do eventually have a day out then that will be my next fight, eradicate it when having a drink. I've eradicated it from my every day life. Now onto the next step, whenever that may be with coronavirus around.

Great to see you toceveoD !  and so happy to hear you have kept your quit.

I quit drinking for a while when I first quit, when I went back it was not a big deal.  NOPE was etched into my soul and I didn't experience a crave or a trigger.

But,  I know with the relaxing of inhibitions things can go wrong so, protect your quit.  Protect it with your life.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 7:58 AM, Sazerac said:

... so, protect your quit.  Protect it with your life.

Interesting, I've never looked at it that way.  I've always looked at my quits as an action to get rid of an addiction, but never from a point of view of treating a Quit as an entity.

But it make sense, I should treat my Quit as a new found treasure, or maybe a delicate priceless gem that I need to protect it with my life.  This thought reminds me of when I held my daughter in my arm for the first time when she was born, also was the first day of my first Quit.

Something new for me to use to help my quit.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Welcome JohnQ....

Glad your here ....you have to protect your quit as you would a newborn

Stick around there is tons of great information...

Go th the Introduction thread ,say Hi ,and tell us a little about yourself ....you will receive a proper welcome there by the Members ..

• Like 1