One Week!

mrsguest

Hi all, my name is Jill & I want to thank you for this wonderful site/forum! I have been snooping around here and have learned a lot. 

I quit smoking on December 27 at 2pm, just because my doctor had prescribed the patch and I figured, "what better time than now?" I put out my last smoke and put on a nicotine patch. 
I never ever in my life expected to be able to get this far! I am beyond proud of myself and although I am taking it day by day, I just can't imagine smoking another cigarette and wrecking all of this hard work I've put in. 

I smoked since I was 13, and will be 40 this May. That is the majority of my life. And I LOVED smoking, please let me tell you I really did. So this is a huge life changing event for me, and I am excited & scared at the same time. 

Thanks to you all for being here - this place is truly great and helpful. 

• Like 11

Welcome aboard mrsguest.  So glad you have decided to quit and join the forum.  Looks like you are on your way, congrats on this first week -- is the first major milestone with many more to come.  Looks like you have explored the site and know what it offers.  Look forward to hearing more from you!!!!

• Like 5

Welcome, Jill, and congratulations on quitting smoking.

I used to feel that I LOVED smoking too but now I truly hate it.  Breaking free of cigarettes and nicotine addiction really is a liberating and life-changing experience.

Keep close to the board.  Read up on as much as you can about nicotine addiction and keep reaching out if you are struggling.

It is nice to have you here.

• Like 5

Hi JIll! Welcome to our family of quitters :) You have the right idea about taking things a day a a time and also about learning as much as you can about this horrible addiction. Education about the nicotine addiction is key to a lasting quit! You CAN quit, just like the rest of us have. No one here is a special flower. We all go through the trials and tribulations of quitng but together, we make it through to the other side.

Stick around; learn as much as you can and join in on the fun if you like. Quitting doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. You may just make some friendships here that you never expected to. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Oh, and congrats on one week in the books! That's the toughest one of all to get through :) 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 5

Hi mrsguest, welcome aboard :) Congratulations on getting past hell week, that's the worst week of them all! I loved smoking too until I was forced to choose between breathing and smoking. Luckily I love breathing more lol.

Anyway, can you believe all the money you've saved already?! Isn't it awesome?! 

We're here for you as much as needed or wanted and since we have quitters all over the world there's usually always someone online :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 5

Oh I love it when I log onat lunch and we have a newbie, just made my crappy day better.

So welcome, congrats on gettin through ya first week, it really is the hardest...things will ease up. So what wonderful advice can I offer... As a fellow user of NRT to get through the early days (my crutch was gum) listen to your body... You will know when you are ready to go it alone.... There is nothing wrong with using NRT but it does draw out the whole yuck stage a bit... That said I wouldn't be here now without it... So listen to yourself, you will know when it's right for you and that is all that matters for now.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, mrsguest said:

I smoked since I was 13, and will be 40 this May. That is the majority of my life. And I LOVED smoking, please let me tell you I really did. So this is a huge life changing event for me, and I am excited & scared at the same time

G’day

Wow I used to tell myself that I LOVED smoking as well. But at the same time over that 40 years that I smoked i was always giving up, not smoking for a time and going back. I think back it was a bit of self protection for my failures.

Well now there is no love of smoking I’m free to hate the habit and do. 

You are just getting the idea of what freedom actually feels like. Trust me, it’s better than you could ever imagine....

Keep walking away and never look back.

chris

• Like 7

Congratulations on quitting smoking !

Addiction is a scurrilous thing,

it made us behave in life threatening activities

and think that we 'loved' it.

This is just the addict adoring their addiction.

Please learn all you can about your addiction,

how it changes your DNA (here)

how it subverts the receptors in your brain (here)

how incredibly poisonous it is (here)

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 4

Hello and welcome Jill.....

Congrats on your fabulous smoke free week....

Looking forward to getting to know you better ...

We will support you all the way to freedom.....

Please use the SOS....if you need instant help..should you need us ...

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Jill and congratulations on quitting.

17 hours ago, mrsguest said:

So this is a huge life changing event for me, and I am excited & scared at the same time. 

The fear will subside quickly.  The excitement will continue.

Enjoy the ride.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, mrsguest said:

Hi all, my name is Jill & I want to thank you for this wonderful site/forum! I have been snooping around here and have learned a lot. 

I quit smoking on December 27 at 2pm, just because my doctor had prescribed the patch and I figured, "what better time than now?" I put out my last smoke and put on a nicotine patch. 
I never ever in my life expected to be able to get this far! I am beyond proud of myself and although I am taking it day by day, I just can't imagine smoking another cigarette and wrecking all of this hard work I've put in. 

I smoked since I was 13, and will be 40 this May. That is the majority of my life. And I LOVED smoking, please let me tell you I really did. So this is a huge life changing event for me, and I am excited & scared at the same time. 

Thanks to you all for being here - this place is truly great and helpful. 

Hi jill, check out this video to get a better understanding of what is ahead. One of the best decisions i have made in my life was to quit smoking

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just wanted to check in and say it's been 3 weeks, 2 days and I feel good. 

I am still using the patch, I see my doctor next week & I think I'll ask him to lower the dose. 

Not sure if it is time yet, but I'll ask. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mrsguest said:

Hi all, just wanted to check in and say it's been 3 weeks, 2 days and I feel good. 

I am still using the patch, I see my doctor next week & I think I'll ask him to lower the dose. 

Not sure if it is time yet, but I'll ask. 

So glad you checked in and you are still smoke free.

How are you feeling ?

Any advise for newbies ? 

I quit cold turkey and have no experience with the patch

but, there are folks here with successful quits who used the patch.

Maybe, @WeegieWoman will pop in and tell of her success with the patch.

Keep learning all you can about addiction,

this will fortify your quit

and don't forget to reward yourself when you let go of the patch.

You will need to trick your brain receptors at first and teach them what rewards are all about.

• Like 2