What smoking a month's worth of cigs looks like

onthemark

27 minutes ago, onthemark said:

Yeah I smoked for over 35 years and it is really sickening to think of all those years of inhaling toxic pollution.  It's a reality test for anyone struggling with their quit.

And for those on the fence thinking about quitting. Who would want to continue after seeing what they are inhaling into their bodies on a daily basis :58_disappointed_relieved:

• Like 4

I remember junior high they showed us movies with anti-smoking messages where the main graphic was comparing smoker's lungs to non-smokers, which was gross, but what happens decades down the line doesn't matter to a teenager. I am in my 50s so these educational videos were a long time ago. 

This is immediate and you see the effects cigarette by cig, day by day.

Edited by onthemark
  • Like 3

What amazed me was how scary real the commercials against smoking became but how I would still ignore their message.  I would sit there trying to ignore them, hoping my husband wasn't paying attention.  Sometimes I would try to distract my husband's attention away from them.  I was ashamed inside and scared that most likely that was going to be my reality but not strong enough to change things.  I was addicted and had no idea how to change.  I had tried so many different ways to quit and was unsuccessful.  

Somehow, I ended up finding this forum.  What is it that is so different about this place?  It is a place where no one looks down at you - they have all been there.  You were not there physically but it felt as if you took my hands and guided me through.  Smoking took my self esteem and power.  You showed me it was still there and that I could get it back.

❤️   

• Like 4

It's crazy because there is a way back. The lungs will repair themselves to a very good degree. They may never be as good as new. You will have caused some irreparable damage but they will be in a lot better condition if you pack in because as I say some self repairing does take place.

First time I've seen a video like that and being so early into my new quit it has shocked me a lot.

• Like 3

I hope it shocked you in a good way. It is sort of funny in a way until you get to the end and see how bad that poisonous gunk is.

Yes, you are right that the body can repair but not all of it unfortunately. The sooner you quit the better. I quit when I was 52 and it was too late to avoid lung cancer, but, hey, here I am three years later and still doing ok, maybe done with that monster. At least I can hope so. Other people get copd, cvd and other cancers. It's never too late to quit but quitting when you are young is the best because the damage just accumulates.

• Like 2