Take A Walk

Boo

Some of you may be looking to start an exercise routine or get back to it after a layoff.  There is so much information available, newbies can feel overwhelmed by information overload.  As is so often the case, the simplest answer is the best answer.

I read a story in a local weekly newspaper about a lady who decided to get healthy in 2018.  In January, she made two simple changes: (1) She started drinking water instead of sweet tea and soft drinks and (2) She made it a point to walk more everyday.  Fast forward twelve months and she has lost 68 pounds, she jogs 3-4 times a week, does yoga daily, and has recently started incorporating strength training into her regimen.  This lady transformed her life in one year and it all began with two simple choices.

This video by Elliot Hulse is over five years-old now and still ranks as one of the best videos online for someone new to health and fitness.  (Language Warning!  If offended by the occasional swear word, this video may not be for you.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thx Boo..I liked this video....( what language lol )...I can walk !!!!....I can  drink water .!!!!!.....two great tips to get me going ... 

Even I can do that ....but  I find water boring ..any tips besides lemon and limes to make it more exciting....

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have put sliced strawberries in my water... and slices of orange... um.. bits of mint but my absolute favourite is slices of cucumber... love slices of cucumber in my water and my tonic water.

So I have a slight addiction to tonic water but I tend to limit myself to one glass a day ... more if I am getting bad leg and shoulder cramps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.higherperspectives.com/walking-daily-2626517339.html?fbclid=IwAR1awuchBL2NAlOI1cxYnF8gWU4mTRLYs00mSTlMCdt4WA6G2lMCWI8BAyw

15 Minutes of Walking On A Daily Basis Can Change Your Body Drastically

Most people are well aware of the countless benefits from regular exercise and the amazing effects it can have on our mental, emotional, and physical health.

However, most Americans simply choose not to exercise or workout in their spare time.

According to Sanjay Sharma, professor of inherited cardiac diseases in sports cardiology at St. George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in London:

"We may never avoid becoming completely old, but we may delay the time we become old. We may look younger when we're 70 and may live into our nineties.

Exercise buys you three to seven additional years of life. It is an antidepressant, it improves cognitive function, and there is now evidence that it may retard the onset of dementia."

Here are some of the benefits of walking on a daily basis!

1. It can lower the risk of diabetes

The findings from the Harvard Nurses' Health Study showed that women that walked for half an hour daily experienced a 30% lower risk of diabetes.

Walking was also found to be able to shrink dangerous abdominal fat, which can result in diabetes.

2. It lowers the risk of Alzheimer's disease

Researchers at the University of Virginia Health System discovered that men at the age of 71 – 93, who walked more than a 1/4 of a mile daily had half the incidence of Alzheimer's disease and dementia in comparison to compared to participants who walked less.

3. It reduces high blood pressure

Researchers found that moderate intensity walking lowers the risk of high blood pressure.

4. It helps digestion

Tara Aleichem, a physical therapist at Cancer Treatment Center in America, maintains that walking can improve your gastric mobility.

5. It reduces pain and enhances mobility

The American Heart Association published an article that showed that walking on a daily basis can improve mobility in people with PAD (peripheral artery disease).

6. It enhances bone health

People who exercise on a daily basis have healthier and strong teeth, and regular exercise boosts bone density, strengthens the bones and lowers the risk of osteoporosis, fractures, and shrinkage of the spine.

7. It improves cognitive performance

Studies have shown that a regular walk boosts the cognitive performance in both children and adults.

8. Leads to longevity

Numerous studies have proven that regular walking lowers the risk of mortality.

9. It improves mood

The findings of a 2016 study showed that walking at least 20 minutes daily boosts the self-confidence and attentiveness, and reduces the feelings of anger and hostility.

Here are some useful walking tips:

Pick a suitable pace, as in order to burn calories, you need to walk about 3.5 miles an hour.

To burn more calories, try an incline walk

Always wear flexible, low-heeled, cushioned, comfortable shoes

Walk with the shoulders down, the chin parallel to the ground, and looking straight ahead

Swing the arms while walking, bend them at 90 degrees and pump the shoulders

You can start walking more by making some tiny changes into your daily routine:

Take the stairs instead of the elevator

Walk to school or work

Go for a short walk after dinner or lunch with friends

Get off several bus stops before your destination when taking public transport

Always park your car a bit further and walk to the destination

Try walk-and-talk meetings at work

Take your dog for a walk

Listen to your favorite podcast and walk

Dr. Mercola also suggests:

"While you're getting in the habit of a daily walk, choose a spot that's suitable for barefoot walking – like a grassy park or sandy beach – and give it a try.

In addition to the physical benefits of walking, walking barefoot allows your body to absorb energy from the Earth through the soles of your feet, a practice known as grounding.

This physical contact with the Earth can have powerful effects on the body and it has many well-documented health benefits.

For example, one scientific review published in the Journal of Environmental and Public Health concluded that grounding (walking barefoot on the earth) could improve a number of health conditions, including the following:

Sleep disturbances, including sleep apnea

Chronic muscle and joint pain, and other types of pain

Asthmatic and respiratory conditions

Rheumatoid arthritis

PMS

Hypertension

Energy levels

Stress

Immune system activity and response

Heart rate variability

Primary indicators of osteoporosis

Fasting glucose levels among people with diabetes

We recommend using a pedometer, or better yet, one of the newer wearable fitness trackers, to keep track and find out how far you normally walk. At first, you may be surprised to realize just how little you move each day.

Tracking your steps can also show you how simple and seemingly minor changes to the way you move around during the day can add up. Plus, it's motivating to see your steps increase throughout the day."

If you found this information helpful, please remember to SHARE this article with your family and friends on Facebook!

Source: www.healthyfoodhouse.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Walking is great exercise in its own right; we all know this.  However, I've only recently begun to appreciate walking as a means of active recovery.  Following a hard workout, my legs feel far better if I walk for a bit than if I just lay down and do nothing.  Walking is a great way to get the blood flowing to the muscles, expedite lymphatic drainage, and flush out systemic waste following a hard workout.

I worked my legs hard yesterday with a strength session in the morning and a run in the woods in the afternoon.  Walked last night and again this morning with plans of taking the day off.  With all that walking, the recovery process went quicker than usual and I got in a brief workout this afternoon.  Did some Deadlifts and Kettlebell Step-Ups and the legs felt good.

"Take a walk" is a good answer to a surprising number of questions.

• Like 3