What Freedom Means to Me !!!

Doreensfree

At first I thought quitting was about a healthier lifestyle and saving money but now, a year later; it's being rid of all the BS that goes along with the actual act of smoking that I am happiest to be rid of. Being able to control my own life and not having to run my life in accordance to a nicotine addiction's demands.

• Like 7

My confidence has soared since I quit smoking.  I have control of my life once again.  It still amazes me how much effort I put into smoking.  My entire day was wrapped around when I would smoke.  I craved my next cigarette before I had even put out the one I was currently smoking.  I mistakenly believed quitting was too difficult.  It wasn't too difficult. Smoking was difficult.  I am so thankful for the life I have now and I would not trade this freedom for anything.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

No more huddling under a tree, trying to keep from getting rained on and trying to keep rain from drowning my cigarette. 

(I only smoked outdoors)

No more looking at my month-end budget and expenses, and how smoking was keeping me from saving money.

It's also giving my willpower a workout. Saying "no" hundreds of times to urges to smoke; saying "yes" to exercise and meditation.

• Like 7

I had shame too, Doreen.  Now, I live life without pause.  Sure, I need a break. A mental break not a smoke break. I confused the two for many years. 

I shamed myself into quitting after having a family vacation at a popular theme park. I missed too much because of the addiction. 

So, I quit.  For that & many other reasons. 

• Like 5

In all honesty,  at this point freedom still means hard work! If not debunking addict thoughts, it's accepting where I'm at... exercizing radical patience.... believing that whatever comes my way, I'll be in good shape to handle it without burning something so I can inhale the smoke... 

On the bright side, I believe that these are all qualities that I'll benefit from for the rest of my life! 

• Like 4

Freedom, for me, has been so surprisingly generative.  During my quitting process, I developed skills that continue to help me when I face difficult circumstances, and frankly I never would have predicted that I would continue to reap the (non-physical) benefits so long after I was able to extinguish the associations and cravings related to smoking. 

Christian99

17 Years Quit

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Christian99 said:

Freedom, for me, has been so surprisingly generative.  During my quitting process, I developed skills that continue to help me when I face difficult circumstances, and frankly I never would have predicted that I would continue to reap the (non-physical) benefits so long after I was able to extinguish the associations and cravings related to smoking. 

Christian99

17 Years Quit

Wow Christian99.  17 years seems like a lifetime.  What an inspiration for us new quitters.  I am sure that we all wonder whether we will surpass the damage that we have done to ourselves with our addiction.  The power we gain is not just physical.  I am finding I feel better control in my life also.

A new benefit I just realized today.  My skin is not as dried out.   I used to get those painful skin cracks on the tips of my fingers, especially in the winter months, but this morning I realized I hadn’t had one since I quit smoking

• Like 4