Sunday 30th December 2018

Cbdave

1 hour ago, Kate18 said:

Only 7:50 pm Saturday on the Pacific coast of USA; pledging early for the Sunday pledge to take my mind off of craving.

The usual "just finished dinner" urge.

I won't smoke for another day.

Nope 

Excellent work Kate, naming your craves diminishes the power they have on you. 

Loving your quit, you've got this. 

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Tammy said:

naming your craves diminishes the power they have on you. 

Yes, exactly so! I'd forgotten. That is something....I think it is in Mindful meditation. One exercise is to just notice thoughts and emotions, not judging them, but giving them a name, identifying what they are. Acknowledging what something is does, indeed, diminish their power. It is the unknown that can be more frightening than the known.  

Thank you for bringing this up, Tammy. It will send me back to reviewing some TED Talks about Mindfulness. Jon Kabat-Zinn (think I have the spelling right) was, I believe, the founder or one of the founders of the practice of mindfulness. Originally it was to help people suffering from chronic pain when traditional therapies were not helpful. I don't have time to go back and do a fact check on myself right now. Sigh. Still nighttime craving. At the point where I have to go to sleep to quell the urge to smoke.

The man's name on YouTube will open the list of many talks and guided meditations.

Tammy, thank you again.

You see how helpful it is, dear new QT readers, to share thoughts and insights?!

:) 

• Like 7

@Kate18 I am glad to be able to help in any way possible, I didn't know this is in mindful meditation, I was actually quoting Harry Potter there, where Hermione says fear of a name increases fear of a thing itself.

Glad to know that the messages stay the same irrespective of the medium they are delivered from. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1