Hello from Maine

Jack9211

My name is Jack. 65 years old, semi-retired and a smoker....not long though. Only about 50 years. I have set a quit date for tomorrow. I have been  a very heavy smoker for a long time. Nothing has made me quit in the past. I retired in Oct 2015 and had a heart attack in Dec 2015. I was told it was all do to cigs. I was all pumped up to quit after the procedures and really meant it. Lasted about 4 days. I put cigs and lighters on top of the medicine cabinet in the bathroom ( wife isn't very tall).....I went there often telling her it must be the new meds !! Now the latest deal is the beginning stage of COPD. Now this is not good. I didn't retire to sit in a chair with oxygen tubes, etc. We retired to our favorite place in the world.....the mountains of Maine. We had a camp here and couldn't wait to live here full time. It's great. Population 850. Woods, lakes, streams, deer, moose, etc......I will not be stuck inside. I AM stopping tomorrow. i have way too much to do and enjoy. The heart attack didn't scare me. The copd does. I work 18 hours a week as a bar tender ( that is needed in my small town). Tomorrow i a work day which should help. I am anxious to read all you have to offer, and to learn from you all. So here I go. Thanks in advance for listening to my ramble.

• Like 11

Welcome to our merry band of quitters, Jack !

We are about the same age, I was a heavy smoker

and quit cold turkey five glorious years ago.

The important part is your commitment to yourself

to never take another puff

and education helps fuel your resolve.

Please avail yourself to the wealth of information about our nicotine addiction here

and hang out for fun and distraction.

You have made the best decision and you can have a successful quit.

You really can !

This post may be of some help to you in navigating around the site.

10-ways-to-effectively-use-this-forum-to-help-yourself-quit-smoking

• Like 10

Welcome jack and congratulations on choosing to quit smoking. We can give you as much support as you need or want :) lots to do to keep you occupied and your mind off the craves here so make sure to check it all out :)

• Like 8

Welcome aboard Jack.  I too am 65, I quit almost a year ago.  It was a tough first couple of weeks then it got better.  I too have early stages of COPD and the one thing you will notice is that quitting WILL help your breathing (you won't be cured but it will get somewhat better) and will slow down any progression -- just being honest.  I can state that what will help is read as much as you can on this site -- the education and experience of others will be a great help.  For the early days learn deep breathing techniques and drink plenty of cold water.  Also going to the NOPE section and pledging NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) daily will truly help, I thought it kind of corny the first day but has truly helped me throughout this last year.  Come here often to read and learn and get to know others -- we don't bite but it can get a little weird.  Again Welcome!!!!

• Like 10

Welcome Jack :) 

^^^ You heard it from a guy who was just like you a year ago (Martian5) - embarking on his quit after a lifetime of smoking and he did it! We all did it. It is possible by making an unwavering commitment to yourself, educating yourself about this addiction and with the constant support of other quitters like us who have gone through the same process. That is the formula to quitting but, the load is on your shoulders to do the heavy lifting. We can't do that for you but, we have all done it for ourselves and we are no stronger or smarter than you so ........ get on board and let's get your permanent quit underway!

Read all you can here. There's a lot of great information about nicotine addiction that will help you outsmart the nicodemon when he comes calling; trying to convince you to give it up and smoke again. Don't listen - it's all lies! 

• Like 9

Welcome aboard, Jack.  

There's a lot of good advice already given to you.  Please look at quitting smoking as a very positive life change.  It may be rough early on but the long-term benefits will outweigh whatever early struggles you may have.

It sounds like a really nice place you have in Maine.  Quitting smoking will help you enjoy it for a much longer time.

Read about nicotine addiction here and keep reaching out for help if you need it.  Life as a non-smoker is much better than all the horrible things that come with continuing to smoke.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 9

High Jack.  Welcome.  I also am approaching those retirement years.  Before I quit, I was obsessing about how I was going to spend these years sick or dying.  I had tried different methods of quitting and was not successful.  During one of my searches for help quitting, I came across this forum.  It has changed my life.  I am now almost five months smoke free.  

Everything you need to support your journey of quitting is her right here.  Watch the videos, read the blogs and threads.  We are here to support you.  You can do this!

Linda

• Like 9

Thank you all.....very nice to be welcomed like this. I have been reading and looking around on here. I came across a video the other day while looking for breathing exercises for lung health....a man had been diagnosed with beginning copd and was told to do lung exercises. Like it says here. Deep breaths. He got bored and bought a blowgun to shoot. Spunded good to me, as shooting is near and dear. I have ordered one and am setting up several areas to shoot, both inside and out. If nothing else....it's something to do while craving.

• Like 9

Hi Jack, welcome to the QT.  I't's nice to meet a fellow Mainer!  I live in the Central Maine Area, just outside of Augusta.  It often takes a major event to get someone to finally put down the smokes.   Maybe even two or three.  I had a pulmonary embolism and it still took me another couple of years to quit.  Life after quitting is fantastic.  My health is the best it's ever been and it is so freeing to not have to arrange everything I do around when I will smoke.  

The key to quitting is to make the commitment and never look back.  Stay close to the board.  Educate yourself about the addiction.  Life without smoking will take time to adjust to, but I can promise you that if you give it the time and effort you will be so glad you did.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Jenny said:

Hi Jack, welcome to the QT.  I't's nice to meet a fellow Mainer!  I live in the Central Maine Area, just outside of Augusta.  It often takes a major event to get someone to finally put down the smokes.   Maybe even two or three.  I had a pulmonary embolism and it still took me another couple of years to quit.  Life after quitting is fantastic.  My health is the best it's ever been and it is so freeing to not have to arrange everything I do around when I will smoke.  

The key to quitting is to make the commitment and never look back.  Stay close to the board.  Educate yourself about the addiction.  Life without smoking will take time to adjust to, but I can promise you that if you give it the time and effort you will be so glad you did.

hi jenny......i was born and brought up in waterville.....thanks for the reply and encouragement. hope for snow !!!

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Jack! My story is a lot like yours and Martian5. Took me forever to finally pack it in but it has well been worth it. Stick close to the board and believe in yourself and you can do this. None of us have anything special about us except we just got tired of the addiction. I wish you the best and hope to see you hanging around here. Good luck and stay strong.

• Like 9

Hey there Jack, welcome to QT...glad to have you on the train.

Stick around the forums,  pledge NOPE daily, tell yourself that you will not smoke just for today, and then renew that pledge daily.

It is tough but not impossible, this quitting business. We are here to help, in whatever small way we can.

See you around and all the best for your quit. Take good care of yourself.

• Like 7

Welcome Jack... Great to have you join us... So..there isn't much I can add but...

1. A craving will not last more than 3-5 minutes if you can destract yourself mentally and not fixate on it. So I used to play patience or memory match in an app on my phone. The PC game mine sweeper works a treat too.

2. Drink juice or suck hard lollies (candy) cos it helps, you blood sugar levels can drop because nicotine withdrawal can affect the insulin resistance in your body...it's part of the cause of mood swings.

3. Having a shower or going for a swim helps with craves... Because you can't smoke in water.

4. Don't be afraid to post an SOS if you think you might smoke. Promise that no matter how much you think you want to smoke before you do you will post an SOS... And wait for 3 people to respond.

5. Only take it one day at a time. Just 24hours. I'm over a year in and every morning I still say "I'm not Gunna smoke today".. 

Oh last tip...I'm the resident Aussie looney bird... I use a lot of Aussie slang but I'm always happy to translate so just ask.

• Like 6

Hello and welcome Jack....

I am a couple of years ahead of you...and quit after 52 years....I can promise you ,its the most rewarding feeling in the world....to rid yourself of the black cloud of addiction..

My hubby is at End stage Emphysema/ Copd....you are wise to fear it my friend..he spends a lot of time in oxygen 18 hrs a day....

Keep reading and Learning ....stay close to the board ......it's doable....let's get you to Freedom !!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone....I had my lst cig at 9:25 this morning. Not bad for a 3 1/2 pack a day habit. Work was a steady stream and that helped alot. Quite busy most of the day. I am very tired....more than usual. Again....that might be good. Never have smoked while sleeping. thanks again for all the kind words. Anxious for tomorrow now.....another fight to win.

• Like 5

Good to hear, Jack.

I did find early on that it helped to stay busy.  And, as Reci said, just take it one battle at a time.

Just keep doing what you are doing as long as you don't light up.  You are making it through the roughest times and things to get easier.

• Like 2

You're well on your way now Jack!  You are best to keep busy for sure.  Aside from sleeping, downtime is best avoided.   If you experience a difficult moment come here to read or talk.  Take a walk or whatever you can do to distract yourself.   Remember a crave won't kill you and it will pass whether you smoke or not.  

Jack, I found myself to be more tired than usual in the beginning of my quit and think it is part of the process.  First couple of days are going to be tough, so if you can sleep take advantage of it.

Stay focused on your goal and keeping going forward and you will succeed.  You can do this!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jack9211 said:

Thank you everyone....I had my lst cig at 9:25 this morning. Not bad for a 3 1/2 pack a day habit. Work was a steady stream and that helped alot. Quite busy most of the day. I am very tired....more than usual. Again....that might be good. Never have smoked while sleeping. thanks again for all the kind words. Anxious for tomorrow now.....another fight to win.

A new day as a non smoker is here !

Congratulations on quitting, Jack.

Stay hydrated, focused, watch your blood sugar, and begin to breath in big beautiful breaths of AIR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Jack.  Congratulations on quitting.

On 12/26/2018 at 6:06 PM, Jack9211 said:

I didn't retire to sit in a chair with oxygen tubes, etc. We retired to our favorite place in the world.....the mountains of Maine. We had a camp here and couldn't wait to live here full time. It's great. Population 850. Woods, lakes, streams, deer, moose, etc......I will not be stuck inside. I AM stopping tomorrow. i have way too much to do and enjoy. 

I like the sound of that.  You are not going to let cigarettes rob you of one more second of freedom.

Commit to the process and enjoy the ride.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1