I am at risk for smoking now

Kate18

Well seems crisis is getting under control, I am so proud of you Kate for being a double digit day quitter... I am so proud you went through the motions of HALT and realised nah, this is a doozey and posted an SOS... posting an SOS is brave, and gutsy because it doesn't matter what it is in life asking for help is bloody hard, opening up to others is hard, showing what could be consieved as a weekness is hard... (have the the balls to say "hey, over here, help me"...is not a weekness)... and you did that, you respected yourself enough to say "please help"....

You identified your trigger... and anxiety is a huge trigger... so 2 things, choosing not to smoke, and not putting something in your mouth and not setting it on fire is entirely in you power, you control that... noone else can control that, just you... it just takes a while for it to sink in because some of us are so programmed to obey the nicotine b1tches voice in our head that says we need to smoke now... that we think we aren't in control. Personally realising nothing controlled me but me was the greatest gift I got from not smoking... but speaking of things you control you control who you let in your house, it is your safe place, you have every right to say to the mutal friend who is bringing the megabeast with them that you will not let the megabeast into your house. You are happy to meet elsewhere but you don't want that negativity tainting you sanctuary. If you can't quiet get there yet, because being assertive is another thing that comes with being quit... and it comes, and you do have to suck it up and feel obligated to have them in your home... they don't get to go everywhere... no tour, no seeing the bedrooms, either kitchen or lounge room only and the wizzer if they need the loo... that's it... You may not feel confident yet to say "Yeah-nah, Frvck off, I don't want that fish faced moll here" but you can limit where she goes just by not offering a grand tour, and if they ask for one, say No, not today... you don't need to explain, and its pretty rude if they ask.

So back on the strategy page... have a shower, have 2, have 4, have 100... you know what you can't do in a shower, you can't smoke.... if you can go swimming... can't smoke in the pool...

So now its story time... we have a member here, Fab, who isn't too keen on flying at the best of times, its a bit of an anxiety trigger, so he had to fly somewhere early in his quit, and he was so worried that it was going to trigger a crave and he would toss his quit... is was really worrying that he would... but he posted we all commented and offered support and advice... and you know what the anticipation of it being bad was more crave inducing that the actual flight was... he flew through the whole event in the end :) . What I'm trying to say is that most of the time when we are faced with something we would normally use a nicotine hit as an emotional crutch for (and lets just say as crutches, they are pretty shit, don't do anything to help anything just increase the anxiety by demanding more) the anticipation of how "bad" it is going to be is worse than the reality. Linda knows it, I know it, lots of us have at least one moment in our quit where we blew something up out of complete proportion and nearly through everything away... mine involved a sewing machine and I was months into my quit.

This is why the first year is so important... there are so many firsts that you would have normally smoked through that you are now not smoking for... first christmas, first potential visit from an evil beast, first headache, first broken jar, first birthday, etc, etc, etc.... all those triggers need to be re-wired in you brain... you brain has been programmed that when I am nervous I smoke, when I am happy I smoke, well no you don't, you used to but you don't now.... now you are smoke free... embrace and fight like hell if you need to to keep the quit.

4 minutes ago, Kate18 said:

It is disappointing to me that I had this sense of panic again, and that I felt the need to post on the SOS board. I thought I was all set for not being at risk for smoking ever again.

Makes me feel a bit shaken.

What, disappointing in yourself???? Why??? You have no reason to be.... you spent years programming your brain with smoking... you have been undoing that smoking for only a few days...This is a long term task... they say Rome wasn't built in a day.... well quitting, for many of us (there are some lucky buggers out there who say I don't smoke and that's it), doesn't happen over night, or in a week, or a month, or a year... it gets easier each day, it gets better with each milestone but it still sneaks in every now and then, the voice of the nicotine junky and says it wants a hit... we just need to be strong enough to so "nick off, I don't smoke"... you need to say it less and less with time but it still sneaks in every now and then.... well it does for me... but don't be disappointed you had to post an SOS.... be proud and happy that you love and respect yourself enough to post an SOS... I get the feeling shaken, but take the positive from it, learn... OK... being confident didn't make me complacent, and being complacent is when nicotine sneaks in... so I will be remember that this takes time.... I need to undo a long history of smoking... but this too will pass... and if its not, I will SOS again... because I am worth keeping this quit, I deserve to be smoke free, and come hell or high water I will hold onto this quit with every tool at my disposal because I am just that important..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Great job, Kate.  I'm glad you did not light up.

It can be frustrating to think you are getting past being a smoker and then be hit with craves like this but that can happen early on in a quit.  Fighting through it is a big victory.  Your quit is stronger because of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yeah this is early in your quit yet Kate so please be patient. There are still many triggers you will face but slowly you will be knocking those off 1 by 1. This is the same process we all must go through in order to be completely free. You will get there too one battle at a time. You know that smoking makes nothing better - just feeds and awakens your addiction again so stay focused on what's important - your beautiful 10 day quit! Protecting this and growing it is all that matters right now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Each crave and trigger you conquer is a huge victory,

every damn one!

Please reward yourself for this one, it will jump start your brain into dishing out endorphins for you to enjoy.

You are more powerful than any damn crave.

No matter the level of your resolve in quitting smoking, random craves will pop out of nowhere some craves are expected too.

This is normal, all your brain receptors haven't been re-wired yet.

That is all this is, just an addict's glitch in the brain that still expects nicotine.

Teach your brain to acknowledge righteous rewards.

Be extra kind to yourself.  You are winning. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sazerac said:

Each crave and trigger you conquer is a huge victory,

every damn one!

Please reward yourself for this one, it will jump start your brain into dishing out endorphins for you to enjoy.

This is interesting. . . . I hadn't thought of conquering a crave event as a trigger for endorphins. Very clever. 

It's imagery. Anthropomorphizing a crave, picturing it as a thing -- a dragon, maybe -- and envisioning fighting it and slaying it . . . . that seems very likely to be something the brain would accept as a cause for celebration and a release of endorphins. 

Worth a try and a bit of fun. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

This is why the first year is so important... there are so many firsts that you would have normally smoked through that you are now not smoking for...

. all those triggers need to be re-wired in you brain... you brain has been programmed that when I am nervous I smoke, when I am happy I smoke, well no you don't, you used to but you don't now.... now you are smoke free... embrace and fight like hell if you need to to keep the quit.

What, disappointing in yourself???? Why??? You have no reason to be.... you spent years programming your brain with smoking... you have been undoing that smoking for only a few days...This is a long term task... they say Rome wasn't built in a day.... well quitting, for many of us (there are some lucky buggers out there who say I don't smoke and that's it), doesn't happen over night, or in a week, or a month, or a year... it gets easier each day, it gets better with each milestone but it still sneaks in every now and then, the voice of the nicotine junky and says it wants a hit... we just need to be strong enough to so "nick off, I don't smoke"... you need to say it less and less with time but it still sneaks in every now and then.... well it does for me... but don't be disappointed you had to post an SOS.... be proud and happy that you love and respect yourself enough to post an SOS... I get the feeling shaken, but take the positive from it, learn... OK... being confident didn't make me complacent, and being complacent is when nicotine sneaks in... so I will be remember that this takes time.... I need to undo a long history of smoking... but this too will pass... and if its not, I will SOS again... because I am worth keeping this quit, I deserve to be smoke free, and come hell or high water I will hold onto this quit with every tool at my disposal because I am just that important..

Really, NSJ, this is great, these are great reminders. 

Once I hit a week I felt more confident. Getting through the previous SOS was a challenge. I thought I'd seen the worst of incidences when I'd feel compelled to smoke. That was complacency.

A very important reminder, "I deserve to be smoke free....."

Nothing is made better if I smoke. Only made worse.

Thanks

• Like 3

4 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

I deserve to be smoke free, and come hell or high water I will hold onto this quit with every tool at my disposal because I am just that important..

NSJ, this is a really good post. I'd like to bookmark it to read in the future if I feel shaken or a tough craving. Is there a way to bookmark favorite posts? 

• Like 2

OK Kate....great job fighting this off! It sucks!! and we know what you feel right now. I have been struggling this week for what ever reason but all I have to do is think about how I felt the first 4 days and it passes. Stay strong Darlin and you will do fine!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Kate18 said:

This is interesting. . . . I hadn't thought of conquering a crave event as a trigger for endorphins. Very clever. 

It's imagery. Anthropomorphizing a crave, picturing it as a thing -- a dragon, maybe -- and envisioning fighting it and slaying it . . . . that seems very likely to be something the brain would accept as a cause for celebration and a release of endorphins. 

Worth a try and a bit of fun. 

A crave is a signal to your brain that you need nicotine,

when you supply the nicotine the crave goes away and you get a shot of endorphins.

When you don't supply the nicotine, you don't get the shot of endorphins.

This is why rewards are so important, we release the brain from the nicotine trigger and learn to enjoy true rewards.

You really need to study more about your addiction, we never can know enough.

• Like 4

A crave can be seen as a good thing; its an alert, a reminder. Last night i was out of antipsychotics, so i spent the night shaking and thinking bad things. Thats positive, its a punch in the face to remind me to stock on medicine. The thing is, when it comes to nicotine cravings it comes to remind you that you´re winning the battle. Just think of a crave as another punch you took and still stood up. Each crave will be weaker and soon it will fade away into little cuddles that you will laugh at. And then you will be a nonsmoker. So cheer up lad, go ahead! Im  really glad you dindt smoke. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Good job working through that crave Kate!  That is exactly how it is done and every time you beat the nicodemon down you become stronger in your quit.  It may not feel that way now but it's happening.   Being free from smoking is magical.  It is a freedom like no other.  You're doing a great job!  Well on your way to your new life.  It will take time to get used to it but you are going to LOVE IT!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2018 at 1:04 PM, jillar said:

Kate one thing I used when bad craves hit in the beginning was my air cigarette. I just pretended I was holding a cigarette in my fingers and then went through the motions of "smoking" it. It really helped trick my brain into thinking it was getting the real thing and the craving would pass. Some use cut straws or pens, etc. Maybe try that?

You know it sounds silly to do that but it does help somehow. Even just breathing a couple breaths in the same manner as if smoking a cigarette somehow takes the edge off.

I have had to do that a few times.

If nothing else, roll up an ordinary piece of paper and use that to "smoke" a couple breaths. Of course do not light it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1