Wandering at home, warding off desire to smoke

Kate18

Sitting with my coffee at my computer desk, but mentally I am wandering aimlessly, detouring around the furry little weasel in my mind that promises feeling better if I go out to buy cigarettes.

Two hours ago I was on the phone with my smoking cessation coach (with my health insurance company), talking about my strategy to stay quit. Oh, how quickly the challenge appears.

An observation I've made is that when I was hungry, I would reach for a cigarette.  (Apparently a common occurrence)

At the moment I feel an urge to smoke, so I ask, "am I just hungry?" Maybe. Not really, but eating would be better than smoking.

With this new eating plan -- plant-based diet, low sodium, and low gluten -- I have nothing left to eat in the house that appeals to me. Gone are the quick nachos and grilled tuna sandwiches.

It's cold outside, so the thought of a cold salad isn't appealing. Cooking rice, beans, etc, takes too long.  (K'vetch, k'vetch)

That sneaky little weasel is popping its head around posts and pillars in my mind like a cartoon character and he's suggesting that all of this restlessness and aimlessness would go away with a cigarette. Then I could just quit again after I finished the pack.

Yaaaahhhh, nooooo, I've been here before. Saying, "yes, I'll quit, but not today," proved to not be a good strategy. On those other occasions, I went out and got the cigarettes, settled on my patio with a cup of coffee, smoked a cigarette, felt the relief from tension, and so reinforced the dependency on a cigarette/nicotine. 

The furry, sneaky little weasel is cute, but I already have a dog and can't afford to keep another pet. On my way to work, instead of stopping for cigarettes, I'll stop at the Humane Society and surrender the weasel.  I'm sure someone else will give him a good home.

Edited by Kate18
  • Like 4

Yes Kate, surrender that nasty weasel! May I also suggest that for the first few months you allow yourself to eat what ever you're craving. This addiction is hard enough to fight without throwing in a complete diet change. We especially crave sweets when we quit, and they help with the dizziness and spacey feeling you may notice. So I really recommend getting yourself at the very leat some fruit and/orfruit juice to help with those. Sucking on candies is also a great distraction from smoking as I never ate anything and smoked at the same time. I lived on those soft peppermint puffs. You're doing great and you should be really proud of yourself :) 

Edited by jillar
  • Like 5

You know that that little bugger will tempt you ever chance it's gets so just fight it every time it whispers sweet lies in your head. Every battle you win, it gets weaker and you get stronger. Little by little YOU win! 

Remember that ALL it promises you are lies. You said so much in your post here today. You know your addiction only cares about itself and not you so why even consider assisting it? 

What does it really want? It needs you to feed it - yes, your addiction is powerless if you refuse to participate so tell it to piss-off!  These early days are uncomfortable - no question but only temporary so dig in and keep battling this A-hole because you know it's the right thing to do and we all know you can do it!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Paul723 said:

Copied/pasted:   

The concept of H.A.L.T. 

(Hungry, Angry, Lonesome, Tired)

I remember this (HALT) from the QSMB forum, but had forgotten it. Thanks, Paul.

It's exactly right and I'll put it on my refrig to remind me.

• Like 2