Plant-Based Food Diet

Kate18

Anyone gone from being an omnivore to eating a plant-based diet? I have been reading The Engine 2 Diet.

This started when I began researching the most frugal way of eating that is also healthy. That led to vegan websites and YouTubes, and then to Rip's YouTube.

Apparently the way this guy and his fellow firefighters eat is a program embraced by some triathletes, as well as a host of other people.

I'm 90% transitioned. Because I have to keep my diet low in sodium, anything processed or prepared is usually not available to me to make substitute cheese sandwiches, for example.

The author writes about medical research that has shown an improvement or even reversal of heart disease and other ailments.  He cites specific studies. It seems legit.

Wondering whether this will help heal lungs to some extent.

Eating around 4 different fruits each day, and 7+ different types of vegetables. Over the week, it's usually 7+ different varieties of fruit and more than 20 varieties of vegetables.

Also black beans or lentils (or other legumes), brown rice, oatmeal, no-salt bread, and other grains. Small amounts of nuts and seeds, plus almond milk on cereal in the am.

No dairy, no animal products.

I take a vegan vitamin pill, Vit D3, B12, and DHA.  

Has anyone else embraced this way of eating? What has been your experience? 

• Like 1

Im trying to eat prodominently plant based  but not 100% probably more Vegatarian ... I eat white meat & fish once a week.no more!

Ive taken on IF or Intermittent Fasting for the simplicity & health benefits.(look up michael mossley BBC or forks over knives)

Ive stopped red meat & processed meat completely. Period.

I take a multivit daily also. I Try and eat Salad/rice(koshari)/soups/beans/potatoes/Tofu/ratatoue/roasted med veg/musaka or rolled oats with water n fruit.

Also Now n again noodles and mixed stir fry vegetables.

Mine also started because i was looking to eat like 'living off grid',  Minimalism & frugal, cheap living.

Its a nice challenge and I enjoy it most days.

Sometimes I crave meat but its becoming less and less to be honest now.

Meat just lies heavy with me once swallowed an i dont like that dormant, sluggish, incomfortable feeling whatsoever.

Bread has a similar effect.

Im by no means an expert at it or claim to be.

I just go off how I feel.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Great way to eat. I’ve been a fan of Forks over Knives and Rip (his dad’s a dr in the film, and author). Best thing I’ve done is cut out animal products. Ok, I do occasionally have Lactaid milk and cottage cheese and butter. These have been tough to totally eliminate but I’m getting there! They’re rare. My main hurdle is it takes more time to prepare and tough with my work schedule. I need to plan ahead better. My favorite food is now a lentil dish I make. I’ve eaten this way close to 4 years. I’d like to say I’ve noticed huge improvements but have been, until today, smoking. My blood pressure did lower a bit. My digestion seems excellent.  Haven’t had blood work to see the changes there. I expect I’ll notice more benefits before long, now that I’m not smoking. 

• Like 1