Easy to quit.. easy to Start?

zoom

I have been smoke free for last 4 days now. But the urge to pick up is staring at me. 

This has happened a few times. I quit- weeks go by- I dont miss cigs much except maybe little insomnia- and then suddenly without realizing I puff again ( my husband is a heavy smoker). 

In the last one month- I have been conscious when I smoke every single cig. But the next time classic Junkie thinking overwhelms me.

It is like I know this cant be 'MY LAST CIG' and that this is Junkie mind talking.

But I still smoke. This one. And then this one. And then this one too.

So help!!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

High Zoom....

It's all about education ...knowledge is what you fight the Nico demon with ...

Spend time reading all the green pinned posts on the main board....watch all Noel video,s....you keep smoking because you believe the Lies the Tobacco companies have you believe..

Stick around ....

When your ready go to the introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself.... You Will get a proper welcome there ....

• Like 4

Aw Zoom, not long ago I was the same as you.  Once I found this forum, things changed.  After getting through the initial tough days, the support here took over and helped guide me through.  I am four months along and have never felt better about my life.  

Getting through those craves is possible, you just need to redirect your brain.  Why don't you join the group, get yourself educated about your addiction and join the daily pledge.  

• Like 9

Hello Zoom and welcome to our merry little band of smoke free/nicotine creatures.

Congratulations on your FOUR days of Freedom.

As everyone above recommends....EDUCATE yourself.

Read til your eyes bleed about nicotine addiction.

This is the best tool in your tool box.

Education and a commitment to NOPE.

You have quit smoking !

You CAN succeed !  at most everything !

This thread may help you navigate around the site 

and contribute to your successful quit. 

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum

• Like 7

Hi Zoom! Addiction to nicotine requires a strong commitment to one's self, time and patience. Taking it one day at a time in the early days is the way to go. Don't worry about days ahead - just today. It does get easier with time but it takes time to get to that point. Until then you need determination & faith in the process. As long as you fight each craving and don't smoke again, you will be smoke free for life. The educational part is to help you finally realize that smoking does absolutely noting good for you - nothing (no even relief of stress).

• Like 6

7 hours ago, zoom said:

...then suddenly without realizing I puff again ( my husband is a heavy smoker). 

The First Step is to quit lying.
Nothing but 100%, brutal, in-your-face honesty can support a successful quit. 
Anything less is guaranteed failure. 
Guaranteed. Failure. 

Case In Point:
     (1) It was NOT "suddenly" ... at least no more "sudden" than any other cigarette you've ever smoked in your life. 
     (2) There was FULL, conscious and willing "realiz[ation]" on your part of what you were doing. Before. During. After. 
     (3) Your husband shares ZERO contributory blame. None. Diddley-Squat-F*ck-All. 

7 hours ago, zoom said:

So help!!

The Second Step is to internalize this: No one can help you but you. 
It is 100% your doing (and un-doing, as the case may be. )
We can't do it for you. No one can. 
We can't even help you - for you will do what you're gonna do regardless of any so-called "help" you get here (or anywhere else). 

These two steps are ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED ... or you will fail yet again. 

The Sarge suggests you start there, with those two highlighted points up there. 

EZPZ

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We can support you every step of the way....but sarge is right ....you have to want to quit for yourself....

It's doable ...you just have to believe in your self ...if you want to quit ...it doesn't matter who is smoking around you..

Because you are a fabulous non smoker ,who isn't killing them selves slowly...

Take smoking Off  the Table ...no matter what ....

How you doing ?????

• Like 4

Sadly there is no magic wand or miracle cure... and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for others. I highly recommend getting a copy of Allan Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking book. I know heaps of people who have had success with that. So biggest tip early on... drink fruit juice... you need to keep your fluids up and you need to keep your blood sugar up... fruit juice does both in one hit.... seriously the change in nicotine levels in your body affect your blood sugar and bodies resistance to insulin. So nicotine addiction basically re-wires your brain and when you quit part of the process includes rewiring that conditioning.

So I have quit before this time and can I just say arming myself with knowledge was a huge part of my success... learning about nicotine addiction and how it affects my brain and my body was a key factor in getting through those early days. For many of us being able to realise Ahh this is happening because x, y, z, and knowing what would come next made getting through the rough patches easier. I also had a memory game on my phone... the game repeated itself for a 5 minute period and I only played it when I had a crave... by having to focus my thinking on the memory game the crave had nowhere to get a hold and it really did pass in 3-5 mins.

SO drink lots of juice.

Have something to chew or suck (hard lollies/sweets/candies)

learn everything you can about nicotine addiction and the smoking industry.

The biggest single piece of advice I got early in my quit... just take it one day at a time.... in the morning when you wake make the committment to not smoke today, just today, today I will not smoke.... don't worry about tomorrow or yesterday just today... that is all you have to get through.... and you know you can do it, today is 24hours, you haven't had a smoke for 4 days... whats another 24 hours... you know you can go 24 hours, its just one day.... then the next day when you get up... its a new day, promise your self you are not going to smoke today. One day at a time. I have been making myself that promise every day for over a year. I quit again every morning, I only quit for one day, that's all I worry about, just that one day... before you realise it its a week, then a month, then 6, then a year... which I am fairly stoked about... but I only ever worry about today.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sgt.barney said:

The Second Step is to internalize this: No one can help you but you. 
It is 100% your doing (and un-doing, as the case may be. )
We can't do it for you. No one can. 
We can't even help you - for you will do what you're gonna do regardless of any so-called "help" you get here (or anywhere else). 

These two steps are ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED ... or you will fail yet again. 

The Sarge suggests you start there, with those two highlighted points up there. 

EZPZ

I too believe that excuses are irrelevant and there is no valid reason to ever light up again.

I disagree, however, that you should "internalize this" and that "no one can help you but you".  I think it's very helpful to have a place to express what you're going through and hear how others overcame similar situations.

Take the advice of Sarge that says you need to be accountable and resolute.  But also know that there's no shame in voicing your concerns and anxieties.  Most of us had them in the beginning.

I

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sgt.barney said:

The First Step is to quit lying.
Nothing but 100%, brutal, in-your-face honesty can support a successful quit. 
Anything less is guaranteed failure. 
Guaranteed. Failure. 

Quitting smoking facilitated a real and complete honesty with myself.

This is one of the great gifts I gave to myself.

Complete and current Truth with  Myself.

Awesome gift.  Awesome.

S

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Zoom glad to have you along on this journey.  As you see and know this journey is not the easiest.  Those craves and desires will come on strong at times but you have learned to come to the right place and post an SOS.  The journey is what you put into it -- but the site is here to help educate you, receive support, and to have fun and get to know others who have gone on or are going on this tough journey.  This can be done -- be honest with yourself and remember to come by and say NOPE daily, it truely helps!!!

• Like 4

Welcome to QuitTrain, Zoom.  Congratulations on 4 days smoke free. 

As others said, education about nicotine addiction and a strong desire to overcome it is key to a successful quit.  Read up on the addiction in the pinned threads and don't be afraid to reach out to the people on this board for support if you are struggling. 

Many of us have had similar struggles and we can assure you that quitting smoking is very doable and is definitely worth the hard work.

• Like 3