"I will..."

Sparky

I just had my last cigarette after my relapse, and figured to write down some "I will..." statements to help. Hopefully others will join in too, at whatever stage you're at - thinking of quitting, well into your quit, a relapser, a supporter.

I will not smoke again.

I will remember how empowering it was to quit years ago.

I will always hold on to the pride I have felt for more than 3 years, and reclaim it. No one, and no cigarette, will deny me of it.

I will not forget that this is a choice I need to make daily.

I will not miss the nasty cigarette smell.

I will focus on how great my body has felt after my first quit, and the great changes I made to my diet and working out.

I will remember how deliriously happy my family and friends were when I quit.

I will remember the shame I felt the other day when I was looked up and down by a stranger in the store, asking me in disgust "why are YOU a smoker??"

I will cherish the support found on this forum.

i will not forget or disown my original quit. 

I will think about all the great people in my life who have always knew me as a non-smoker.

I will forever say out loud when I see a cigarette "Please. I'm better than that."

I will protect my quit.

• Like 12

Sparky, good for you....getting back on the Quit Train! 

I will...always remember I am an addict!

I will....always take it ONE DAY AT A TIME!

I will....NOPE....every day!

• Like 5

I will always cherish my freedom from addiction slavery and therefore, I will never smoke again; Not One Puff Ever!

I will support all other quitters in any way I can because I want them to feel the same freedom I do.

I will always remember why I quit and when.

I will appreciate each and every smoke free day I live because they are just better!

I will always remember the people here and elsewhere who encouraged me and helped to educate me about nicotine addiction :) 

• Like 6

Hey Sparky, i blew a 2 1/2 year quit after receiving terrible news. Recently i just celebrated 3 years free of them sticks, if I can do it you can do it..

This helped my when i got cravings... Move a muscle, change a thought!

• Like 5

The first and the very last line are the most important, imho. And you want to live by them if you are serious about this. 

I quit for three years as well. And for a long time I kept referring to that, both in positive and negative ways  ('I did it then, I can do it now!' And 'I did it then, why can't I now?').

I know now that comparing all the quits of my life... it's just not working for me. It makes room for excuses and fallacies. This, here, now is where I have to make it happen.  

Curious about your journey, are you planning on sharing it?

• Like 6

Good list there Sparky.  There's enough motivation there to keep you smoke free for a lifetime.

It's hard to put into words the "I will" statement that sums up my resolution to remain smoke free.  I guess I'd simply say that quitting smoking is the one behavioral change I've made in my life that's turned a miserable, unhealthy situation into a triumphant and contented life. 

So, I will never go backwards.   

• Like 2