Day 1 again.

blur

Hello!

This is my 100 try to quit smoking.

I've beem on the forum before, trying to quit, but unfortunately I failed and I started to think that I can never become a non smoker. However today's morning I've made a decision, and I will try again.

The problem is that I could never get over day 1. I have some awful cravings and I feel like I can't resist no more.

• Like 3

What have you got ready to help you through those craves... do you have a plan... gum, hard lollies to suck, a game to play (like the card match game).... you need a plan... something to do to help you ride it out. How many hours has it been since you last smoke.

• Like 5

Hi Blur ...

Good to see you quitting oknce more....

You smoke because you believe the cigarette offers you something .....junkie thinking !!!!

Educate yourself...read all you can ...watch all joels videos....learn ....

Jo is right ...you need a plan....be prepared to crave ...but when you are armed ,you can fight them easier...

Join the NOPE thread ....this is a great tool....it can be powerful...when you coming everyday with all the other Noper,s.....

You can do it ....believe in yourself ...

• Like 6

Great advice ^^^^ ...You definately need a plan...what will you do when a crave hits again?? You need distractions,keep busy,  plenty of hard sweet/mints/ fruit etc..

and mainly the WANT to quit and then dig your heels in and say NOPE!! ..... repeat for the next crave..

All the best, you can do it if you really want it.

• Like 3

Blur, if you could just make it past that first day, you would be surprised that it is only a couple of days of discomfort.  I bopped around the sight reading everything I could to stay busy the first couple of days.  After the first couple of days, it turns into a mind game.  Redirecting those craves.  

You can do this.  C'mon and join us and we will do this together.  Make today the beginning of you smoke free life.

• Like 5

You Must Commit to Your Quit, to yourself.

Your power will emerge, your trust in yourself will build.

Give some thought about what our friend, @Sirius says,

"Next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself,

What price you are willing to pay to own yourself"

• Like 4

Welcome back! You've received great advice Blur!

Just bite off small pieces in these early days. Don't look at the long game - just this minute, this hour for now. Keep busy and distracted. If you have the time, spend all day and night if necessary right here reading everything your can. Play some games on the games page to keep your mind and hands busy. You will find a way once you make that unwavering commitment to yourself!

• Like 4

Day one is where every successful quit begins.

A rough day here and there early in the process for a lifetime of freedom is a great deal.  You will see a return on investment from those uncomfortable moments in the early days that will benefit you for the rest of your life.

Quitting is one of the best things you will ever do for yourself.  You just have to commit to doing it.

• Like 4

Everyone here is being very kind and supportive of you blur.  I hope that works for you.  I happen to think you need a little more of a kick in the tush if you've used the forum before and this is your 100th time quitting.

13 hours ago, blur said:

I have some awful cravings and I feel like I can't resist no more.

Well no wonder you've failed 100 times.  You have "awful cravings" that are hard to "resist".  No one here could possibly understand how difficult it is for you.  

Now for a reality check.  Quitting is not easy.  You may have countless cravings for a long period of time.  Cravings, however, are not the end of the world (whereas cancer, COPD, and heart disease often are).  Millions of other people, including thousands on this website, have quit.  We are not special.  We quit despite cravings, unpleasantness, irritability, etc.  It takes uncompromising commitment and a willingness to learn about addiction for a successful quit.  It also helps to have a place to get and give support.  But first and foremost, it takes your 100% dedication.  

Hope you don't see this as an attack, but rather a new approach.  It wasn't 'til I got tough on myself that I was successful.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You only fail because you want to fail.

There is not reason why you cannot have a successful quit.

Your choice.  Your Life.  Your quit.

Get it right, ffs.

It isn't rocket science.

Quit.  Now.  EZ Peazy...the issue is over.

• Like 2

blur,

To break a habit you must create a new habit.   Paving over the old with the new.

First thing in the morning you stare into the mirror and tell yourself NOT...ONE...PUFF...EVER.

At night, as you wait for sleep to claim you, tell yourself you can do this.  That it's all just a repeat.

Yes, the cravings can be tough but remind yourself that nobody dies from a craving.  They don't last

more then a few minutes so keep the goal firmly pictured in your mind.

Carry gum, cinnamon sticks, mint toothpicks; whatever.  

Smoking will pick your pocket and rob you of your dreams.  Get on the train and post often.   

We're all rooting for you but we want to hear some success.  Give us a day without smoking and how

your going for day two!

When I go into a sundry store I see all the packs of cigarettes behind the counter and it means...

it means nothing to me.  No reaction at all.  

You can have that as well.  A freedom from addiction.

• Like 2

Hey blur, I remember you from when I just quit. You recommended Allen Carr to me..? If i'm correct, you were in your first days as well at that time.

I can't begin to tell you how glad I am for being at 106 days. What helped me was making sure I kept WANTING that quit, no matter what. Made lists over and over and over again about what I'd gain and how I was making progress.

Make this your project, for a whole year. It might be too late, if you wait. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that motivated me to quit -

I started imagining what it would be like to be in my late 50's or early 60's, being in a doctor office and being told I have some stupid-ass lung disease related to smoking. Would i think, "Damn, I wish I had quit all those years ago when i knew i needed to."

We all quit smoking eventually. Would you rather quit on YOUR terms or someone/something else's?

You know like say laying in a hospital bed with oxygen tubes in your nose and no way to get outdoors to smoke. THAT would be a fun way to quit!

OR... OR...

You can get the easier suffering over NOW and quit peacefully on your own.

• Like 6

I quit 11 years ago and I still occasionally find myself wanting a cigarette. Here's the difference between a quitter and a smoker.

A quitter doesn't smoke. A quitter realizes that the craving they are experiencing is the sign of something else that needs to be attended to.

A smoker smokes- then wonders why they can't quit.

~~~~SMOKING ISN'T THE ANSWER, IT NEVER WAS~~~~

• Like 6

Someone already posted this, but I can't find it in the forum. I tracked it down on YouTube. 

It made me feel better about having lapsed so many, many times, sometimes almost daily for a month or two. Each time I stopped smoking and failed, I learned something that made me stronger.

I've made it eight days, and feel calm and accepting that I will not lapse again. 

As it says, never give up giving up

• Like 4

On 12/6/2018 at 1:12 AM, Sirius said:

To break a habit you must create a new habit.   Paving over the old with the new.

Definitely, 100%.

In my experience, fear is always involved. Fear in "what will happen" if I don't listen to the cravings, and not smoke. Fear about how I might physically feel, or moods. This addiction is powerful, but you are more powerful. There isn't anything to fear at all. Nothing but great things for your body and mind by not smoking.

And, this forum is filled with powerful people who have made it through Day 1. And Day 2. And Day 3....  So can you. Keep us posted!

Hey blur, whats up lad,

I wish to give you some hope. For quite some time i didnt make it past day 1. Im serious, i couldnt handle a single day without smoking, had to go buy a pack at 8pm. Now you must be asking, well, how the hell is he almost 3 years smoke free? See, its a combination of many factory. Personally i think the two most important are determination and luck. Determination is everything when you´re quitting smoking; you will have to endure day after day, and it probably wont be easy for a while. Luck because everyday life is chaotic and unpredictable, so you might enconter a really big stress 1 week in and give in. In my case i think i had a lot of luck. Everything just clicked...i never made it past, i believe, 2 weeks without smoking. So, anyone failing at the very beginning know that there is hope. I believe you´re capable of quitting smoking, anyone is. Its really, so so so simple. Are you ready to embark on a extremely rewarding journey and save your life? We have lots of folks here that are willing to help you. PM me anytime you like. Wishing you sucess!

• Like 2