One Question

Boo

On 11/29/2018 at 5:18 PM, Boo said:

Did I smoke today?

It is the one and only question that matters when quitting.  I've seen some recent posts in which people call themselves "bad quitters" because they craved and/or romanced the cigarette during their quit.  There is no such thing as a "bad quitter."  There are only successful quitters and smokers.

If you craved a cigarette but didn't smoke, you are a successful quitter.  If it took you a while to rewire your brain about the realities of cigarettes but you didn't smoke, you are a successful quitter.

Smoking is an addiction.  Cigarettes are something we conditioned ourselves with for years.  Quitting is a process.

If the process was a bit more difficult for you than others.  If it took you a little while longer to turn the corner than others.  If you really, really, really wanted to smoke a cigarette.  If you were grouchy, bordering on homicidal, during parts of your quit...If any of these conditions applied and you stayed true to your commitment and did not smoke, congratulations.  Your quit is every bit as much of a successful quit as anyone else's.

To smoke or not to smoke...it is the only question that matters when quitting.

You are right, @notsmokinjo  it is a great post.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Vivianne said:

Oh gonna steal that pic Boo!! I love that quote!

My entire philosophy of quitting smoking can be summed up with two quotes.  The above quote by Stephen R. Covey (the main thing...) and this one from our old friend Confucius...

image.png.1e75183a963562445c8df34d4daadef6.png

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2018 at 5:18 PM, Boo said:

Did I smoke today?

It is the one and only question that matters when quitting.  I've seen some recent posts in which people call themselves "bad quitters" because they craved and/or romanced the cigarette during their quit.  There is no such thing as a "bad quitter."  There are only successful quitters and smokers.

If you craved a cigarette but didn't smoke, you are a successful quitter.  If it took you a while to rewire your brain about the realities of cigarettes but you didn't smoke, you are a successful quitter.

Smoking is an addiction.  Cigarettes are something we conditioned ourselves with for years.  Quitting is a process.

If the process was a bit more difficult for you than others.  If it took you a little while longer to turn the corner than others.  If you really, really, really wanted to smoke a cigarette.  If you were grouchy, bordering on homicidal, during parts of your quit...If any of these conditions applied and you stayed true to your commitment and did not smoke, congratulations.  Your quit is every bit as much of a successful quit as anyone else's.

bumpity bump

• Like 8

On 11/30/2018 at 10:18 AM, Boo said:

Did I smoke today?

It's 1:30am in Sydney, I've had a couple of drinks and just fought off the worst craving I've had in my young 19 day old quit. 

I was rolling around my bed,  battling it out for literally 30 minutes considering having a smoke. 

I started to feel weak and ashamed... I mean after the reading I've done on the dangers of smoking, I felt I had betrayed myself for not immediately and aggressively shutting down the craving like I know I'm supposed to. 

Then I remembered this post (which I read this morning), and something just clicked. It helped me realise it's okay to struggle, it's ok that I've just been rolling around for 30 minutes just thinking about smoking. The most important thing is that I haven't smoked. 

Thank you @Boo you've stopped me from making a huge mistake tonight. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Rick92 said:

The most important thing is that I haven't smoked. 

Way to go Rick92,  That is how you keep building on that strong quit.  This will become easier and you will feel more powerful standing up to these cravings.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rick92 said:

Then I remembered this post (which I read this morning), and something just clicked. It helped me realise it's okay to struggle, it's ok that I've just been rolling around for 30 minutes just thinking about smoking. The most important thing is that I haven't smoked. 

Not only is it okay to struggle, in hindsight I'm thankful for the challenges I faced early in the process.  Facing the facts, dealing with some uncomfortable truths, and being thrown out of my comfort zone was exactly what I needed at that moment in my life.

Accept the challenge and enjoy every victory.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2020 at 11:17 AM, Boo said:

Not only is it okay to struggle, in hindsight I'm thankful for the challenges I faced early in the process.  Facing the facts, dealing with some uncomfortable truths, and being thrown out of my comfort zone was exactly what I needed at that moment in my life.

You ever wonder if quitting was the key that unlocked a whole new you/life?

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, notsmokinjo said:

You ever wonder if quitting was the key that unlocked a whole new you/life?

Quitting smoking was absolutely a catalyst for the many changes I have experienced over the last four years.

The process of quitting helped me improve mentally and physically.  Dramatic changes have happened both personally and professionally.  Quitting smoking had more of a ripple effect than I could have ever foreseen.

If I were asked for life advice by someone who felt stuck in a bad place, it would be this: pick one area of your life that you don't like and change it.  You only need to pick one.  Positive change in one area of your life will carry over into other areas of your life.  Success breeds success.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...