Notsmokinjo is 1 Year Smoke Free Today!!!

jillar

My dearest friend Jo,

One year is phenomenal in itself for anyone who has quit smoking, but in your case, it is gargantuan, stunning, stupefying, astounding and many more words which escape me at the moment.

This 1 year you've not only worked towards keeping yourself quit but have uplifted so many here, and I'm so so proud to be one of those people. You reached out like a shining star my friend, guiding us, never letting us run astray and the most important thing is you did this consistently, day after day, month after month. That shows a generosity of spirit and love for others to an extent that is beautiful to behold. 

And you faced so many personal challenges, and yet stayed strong like the kickass superhero you are my friend. Donning so many hats with finesse and panache is not everybody's cup of tea. 

Hence on this day, your 1 year anniversary, I would like to say "Thank you for being you Jo", never change. 
So happy and grateful to be able to call you my friend...you're an exemplary human being and I feel fortunate to know you.

I really hope you are celebrating today Jo, because I know I will raise a toast to you (once I'm back home, that is...strangely, drinking is frowned upon at work, dunno why that is).

Edited by Tammy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Quite awesome.

Congrats on keeping the quit. I mean a year is something huge.

Ain't it nice to be at the start of counting YEARS since smoking? We start with hours, then days, weeks, months, but now it is years.

Think of all the profits you have deprived the bastard , I mean,  big tobacco companies.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Jo, 

What can I say? One year quit is an awesome achievement in anyone's book,so massive congratulations. You are a shining example to everyone here. 

And now in time honoured tradition time to take the piss. I know that you are a humble 5th(?) generation convict ?, but I reckon you're welcome back up this way anytime you like. In fact it could be a chance for royalty themselves to bestow honours upon you. Lady Jo of Werribee has a certain ring to it, doesn't it? Make sure you treat yourself today, because your precious saintas will not do it any time soon. Ah yes, thanks for the introduction to the AFL and at least be thankful that you don't support Carlton. 

In all seriousness Jo, I am sure you know this, but I am so very proud of you, not only today, but right through your journey. It is my pleasure to be here with you and I am very grateful for your support. Thank you for being my friend. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

CONGRATS, Jo (no "E)!!!

words don't describe what you have done for the people of this board!.. 

(Which is a good thing.. I'm not sure I would fully understand what you say! :11_blush: )

But I DO understand the Aussie equivalent to N.O.P.E., and you have been saying that for a year now...

well done !!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so much for the wonderful words.... I'll do a proper post when I have stopped blubbering like the great boob that I am.... so people warned me I'd be emotional today and lets just say they were on the money.... so while I compose myself and my thank you post that you just know is going to be a war and peace work.

So while I'm typing out my big post.... here is a song that kind of sums up how I feel about all you guys because while I might have made my 1 year anniversary despite my original intentions (yes there will be a post about that) I didn't do it alone, I think I spent a bloody huge frickin amount of time on the shoulders of those I ride the train with...so this ones for you....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Tammy said:

I really hope you are celebrating today Jo, because I know I will raise a toast to you (once I'm back home, that is...strangely, drinking is frowned upon at work, dunno why that is).

You need to come work at my work.... on friday arvos they pass round the beers.

• Like 6

Jo- without an E?????

Just figured out your a girl....thought you might be gay hitting on me, but didn't realize your wanting me to throw you some bakon because your a chick....

always knew you didn't speak English well

and anyways it's your day.

congrats window licker.

P.S.   sending you a selfie...send me one back with at least one girlie part exposed to verify this new fact

FB_IMG_1515288812408.jpg

Edited by bakon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

The Tardis keeps bringing me back to the beginning of the celebration

which would be great but for the fact that my liver still takes a beating, time travel notwithstanding.

Great party as I said before, Great Party as I said.....Great Party as I.....Great Party....

• Haha 6

So celebrated with a pineapple super dooper.... my fave.

Thanks everyone for the woohoos and the support. I don't think you guys realise just how much a part of my success you all played. Initially it was the fear of loosing you and the shame if I failed.... because I knew in my heart if I smoked I wouldn't be back. So was watching the ARIAs (the Aus music awards) last night and after Kasey Chambers got inducted into the hall of fame she said something that basically sums it all all....

Kasey Chambers: Always be true to yourself and find your tribe. Your real tribe will always encourage you to be true to yourself and wont try to change you into something your not.

I found my real tribe... and it was the greatest thing that could of happened this year... not just in terms of keeping my quit, but keeping my sanity, and my spirits up, and hope because this year has been pretty fricking shitful with the exception of two shining lights, I quit, and succeeded and I had a whole trainload of people to prop me up and support me and carry me forward when I didn't think I could do it.

So shit, bloody hormones, or hayfever....

Other words besides those of Haffey and Jeans that hit the mark right at the time I needed them....

Boo: Tough times don't last. Tough People do. Hang in there.

Aine!: Just one rule - No nicotine today!

Martian5: ...we can all keep the quit together.

Reci: Instead of thinking how we could have just one, think bout how devastated you would feel immediately after having just one. That's the reality!

Johnny5: Lighting up a cigarette will do nothing but make you miserable

Sslip: (and I know it was said with love but it was the foot up the arse I needed).... You stupid sod. …. Sorry if I sound annoyed, but I am. (I would go to do stupid shit, and we all know I could) and I would here this in a grumpy english accent and rationality would be destroyed.

Joe7: If you have an expectation that you should be past those odd ball type of triggers like your sewing machine by now, then you may want to consider changing that expection. (at 8 months, it was a real aahhh moment... and I followed the advice and it all just became so much easier... I dunno why but the whole post that this quote came from, coupled with Sslips telling off... were like the final moment where there was ever any doubt that )

Cbdave: I recon it's that time in the relationship breakup for Hate.

BKP... and a host of others: You're worth it.

Doreensfree:   There is no right or wrong ..just as long you as you quit killing yourself self slowly smoking...

Those are just a few... but those words at the times they were posted resonated and stuck... and really helped push me through. In many instances this past year is a year I would rather forget, to say its been a challenge would be the understatement of the decade but every challenge and horror I have faced had its purpose... it was there to help cement and build my quit. I am a smoker... I will always be a smoker BUT I do not smoke, not today, not tomorrow, not ever, forever... I am done with that.... its there inside me, I know that it will always be there but it has no power anymore, because I know how magical this feels to look in the mirror and say I might be a smoker, and a nicotine addict but I have been smober (smoke sober) for 365 days... I earnt every one of those chips and I will keep earning them until the day I take my final breath because I like this me, the me who controls her own life and isn't controlled by a chemical addiction.

So thank you everyone... thank you, thank you, thank you...... in the words of the great Jeff Fenech.... "I luvs yous all"

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, StewieTech said:

Sorry im late. I thought a bit about it and and though, oh well, i have to make an exception for buttocks.

PORK CHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you..... you coming to share my celebration was really important to me and Lost is perfect, because I did kind of fear lost when you went off on your big adventure called life. So for now... because I don't really have any photos... here is a picture of me... cos my friend I like you too...

bigstock-Mountain-Lion-13435148-1024x680

Honestly though one day we will share a drink, if I visit my cousins in Nazare or if you decide to have a real adventure and come to Australia I will definately make time to have a beer with you.

Thank you so much for all your support to help me get to 1 year.... and for coming back to wish congratulate me .... it really does mean the world to me. I hope you pop in and visit from time to time... and let us all know all the wonderful things you are doing... and when you write your book you better tell us because I'll learn frickin Portugese to read it... or make my Uncle Fernando read it to me.. either way will work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations jo!  I’m so happy for you!  You are a great support to so many here at QT- this thread saturated with good wishes shows how much you are appreciated!! I hope you treat yourself- mind & body- to something fantastic to celebrate this milestone! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1