Attitude

bakon

Didn't post his in quit smoking discussion because I doubt it helps anyone.  

My thought is I can tell in the first three days of a members first post if they are going g to be successful at quiting. Sure others here feel the same way.  Maybe it's not a science or anything difficult but the attitude is the top indicator.

the willingness to want to quit.

I can read their attitude towards the process.  And by the amount of questions or.comments they reveal an attitude of trying. Trying has levels of intensity and commitment.   By three days their posts or lack of post show attitude which I use to gauge their success chances.

There are exceptions but those struggle bunnies sow a long path.   Others is easy peazy.  Most are straight down the middle.  

As for my magic ball of predictable people, ask some old timer and they probably have a method too. 

Attitude means most to success at Quiting in my opinion.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

It can't be faked.   They either show up and try or dont.  Some have a harder time, but the willingness is key in the attitude. 

I swear, by day 2, some are destined to be here two years later, very successful.  

one in particular spent a few years here only to repeat fail.  She struggled and sorry to see other problems influenced her attitude.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I agree completely, absolutely. 

Yes, i can, we can, spot it a mile away. But this is not work where I'm giving 100% and there's some lazy ass worker earning the same dollar as me and that would piss me off. We're trying to overcome an addiction, it's serious shit. And takes most folk a good few tries to crack it. All my prior attempts I had a piss poor attitude but I was trying my hardest at that moment. You canny teach what we are calling 'attitude'. Everyone needs to figure it out for themselves and I commend any one that tries. I work with lots of stinking smokers that don't even try to quit!

Education does not sink in if you are not ready. I can only speak from my own experience but keep trying and you will crack it, as happened to me. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Well, I am usually a slow bear at things and I really thought I would have to be put in a coma to quit.  Boy you guys really got me thinking and guided me through it.  I don't know what my attitude showed in my first posts but you all knew the words to keep my attention.

Wow, next thing I knew I am almost 4 mos.  I have no thoughts of not hanging around.  Of course I am waiting for bakon to post a selfie lol.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

Of course I am waiting for bakon to post a selfie lol. 

OMG woman don't ask, he might actually do it!

well, probably cos I'm not an old pharte yet but I suck a picking those that are going to succeed. So many times someone comes along who seems like they will make it and then they just vanish and a little of me always wonders where they are, what happened, are they ok... I think I just want everyone to succeed and I am a little bit naive and I just think everyone who comes is going to succeed..

Oh and @Linda Thomas when you first posted I thought... (and in order)... Oh I hope Doreen responds, she's the best at doing the "ya never too old" talk...oh she really wants to quit.... oh she is her own biggest enemy because she doesn't realise how amazing she is and how strong she is .... right I can help with that.... and then I posted. I love how much you have grown since you quit... you are one of the bestest quit stories ever..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

It is hard to say.

A few have come along that are all gung ho and last a few weeks at least then just relapse.

Sometimes you can tell though because they keep talking about quitting but never make it happen.

Myself - *I* didn't think I would last but by the time I got to this forum I had already been quit for a few weeks.

On  different subject - did you know that you can tell by a trailer park king's mulletude just how much he shops at Walmart? He is a REAL man who smokes Marlboro reds. AND he has the complete Lynard Skynard collection. On 8-tracks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, WeegieWoman said:

I agree completely, absolutely. 

Yes, i can, we can, spot it a mile away. But this is not work where I'm giving 100% and there's some lazy ass worker earning the same dollar as me and that would piss me off. We're trying to overcome an addiction, it's serious shit. And takes most folk a good few tries to crack it. All my prior attempts I had a piss poor attitude but I was trying my hardest at that moment. You canny teach what we are calling 'attitude'. Everyone needs to figure it out for themselves and I commend any one that tries. I work with lots of stinking smokers that don't even try to quit!

Education does not sink in if you are not ready. I can only speak from my own experience but keep trying and you will crack it, as happened to me. 

I love this post ❤️

• Like 5

1 hour ago, notsmokinjo said:

OMG woman don't ask, he might actually do it!

well, probably cos I'm not an old pharte yet but I suck a picking those that are going to succeed. So many times someone comes along who seems like they will make it and then they just vanish and a little of me always wonders where they are, what happened, are they ok... I think I just want everyone to succeed and I am a little bit naive and I just think everyone who comes is going to succeed..

Oh and @Linda Thomas when you first posted I thought... (and in order)... Oh I hope Doreen responds, she's the best at doing the "ya never too old" talk...oh she really wants to quit.... oh she is her own biggest enemy because she doesn't realise how amazing she is and how strong she is .... right I can help with that.... and then I posted. I love how much you have grown since you quit... you are one of the bestest quit stories ever..

As well as my cast iron trying pan ...I have a soap box ....

I will repeat it for lurkers....You Are Never Too Old To Quit !!!!!

Oh ya!! I agree....a Bakon selfie....  I'm not ready for that ...

• Like 7

As wobbly as I was initially, my attitude was to be free of this disgusting habit, not let it control me, which helped to begin my journey. 

But my attitude was also moulded by people on this forum, who taught me the value of patience, of celebrating the small milestones, taking part in other's journey, which makes your own a little less cumbersome.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

I feel like the bestest quit story ever.  I was feeling like I was at the lowest point of my life.  Not only have you encouraged me to get my life back, you have made me feel worthy of that life.

I wish I could reach across the miles and hug you all.!

• Like 7

The only pattern I have noted is when quitters are initially 'too exuberant' and ignorant of the nature of addiction,

the initial impetus falls flat pretty quickly and they disappear. Quitting nicotine is serious work.

While exuberance can be a propellant, it is education and solid commitment that builds the successful quit.

I knew @Linda Thomas was going to make it.

She just needed a nudge to start believing in herself, trusting in herself.

Nicotine steals self confidence and it is a pleasure to watch it return.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Agree overall, but to offer a little hope and comaradarie to others who may not be flying out of the gate full of grit, glee, and determination --  I was/am the world's crappiest quitter -- I was always romancing, always looking back, often whining my way through the day during the first year, and would have voted for myself as the least likely to succeed.  I did not want to quit. I smoked everywhere, openly, and never reached the point where I didn't enjoy the act of smoking (although I did get to where I hated almost everything else about it).  I never would have quit if not for health concerns, but what could be more important than that?  Over 3 1/2 years later I am still smoke free , so I must known deep down under all my often silent protests, and despite a less than stellar attitude, that having another cigarette was never really an option worth taking for me.  So to any newbies who might also be gracelessly struggling through the early days, the only common denominator for successfully quitting smoking, is not to smoke.  And it will be very much worth it, whatever your reasons for quitting may be.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Doesn't matter how much you enjoyed it

Don't matter how much you miss it

Don't matter ......(insert excuse here)

You have to WANT to Quit.

that is where the attitude is...the want.

Edited by bakon
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Jordan7 said:

Agree overall, but to offer a little hope and comaradarie to others who may not be flying out of the gate full of grit, glee, and determination --  I was/am the world's crappiest quitter -- I was always romancing, always looking back, often whining my way through the day during the first year, and would have voted for myself as the least likely to succeed.  I did not want to quit. I smoked everywhere, openly, and never reached the point where I didn't enjoy the act of smoking (although I did get to where I hated almost everything else about it).  I never would have quit if not for health concerns, but what could be more important than that?  

This was me too....

• Like 4

The slightest hint of Dishonesty and The Sarge automatically assigns them a big fat "NO GO" at this station. 

Move along, you're wasting everyone's time. 
Seeing who's obviously gonna fail is not too difficult. 

Seeing who will make it is not quite as easy. There's a whole lot of middle ground where "maybe they'll make it ... maybe they wont" ... and The Sarge confesses: some of you have surprised him. On both sides of that grey zone. 

EZPZ

• Like 6