I keep failing PLEASE help!!

P2PLeon

Hello all, my name is Leon and I am a smoker of more than 20 years.

I am 36 years old and The longest time I refrained from smoking was 42 days.

That was more than 2 years ago. And was with the aide of a Vaporiser.

I have been struggling with not smoking and always relapse no matter what I do.

I would like to keep in contact daily, as I have been a member of a vapers forum, and from posting a thread nearly every other week, 

Has its downfalls as I was seen to be a troll, but was not. That is the reason for joining here. 

I have been trying to quit the cigarettes for over 3 years now. And would like some help with moral support as my family are smokers.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Welcome aboard Leon.

You keep failing at quitting because you keep smoking.

This is a simple process.  Couldn't be any simpler really.  You quit by quitting.  Don't put things in your mouth and set them on fire.  To quit, you don't really have to do anything.  You simply stop smoking.

Education and support will facilitate the process and you can find plenty of both here on the Train.

Commit to not failing again and then make it happen.

• Like 8

Hi Leon and welcome to our forum. You will get as much support as you need here. There is lots to read to educate yourself about addiction and realize why you keep relapsing. Are you quitting cold turkey this time? If so I recommend coming on everyday and pledging NOPE just for the day. I stayed glued to the forum for my whole first year as I found being active really helped me keep my mind off my misery. Hopefully you'll find that as well :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hey Leon.  Welcome to QuitTrain.

We sound similar.  I smoked for 20 years and quit at age 39.  My longest quit was 44 days, prior to quitting for good.  I had multiple short quit attempts like you seem to have done as well.  With those similar experiences, I can assure you that quitting is very possible.

What helped me in a huge way was joining an online support group and participating as much as possible.  Learning about nicotine addiction really helps you understand what you are up against.  

Also, reach out to the people here anytime you are tempted to light up.  The people here will really work with you to try to keep you from smoking.

It can be tough at first but quitting smoking is actually a really great thing to do.  Try to focus on all of the positives to quitting and remember that the negatives are short lived.

There really is nothing positive gained from smoking.  It is all negative.  Quitting smoking is a really positive and great thing.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 8

Hi Leon,

If you are really serious about quitting smoking, this is the place to do it.  There is so much information and support here.  As said by others, you just have to stop.  

I can tell you it will be uncomfortable for a couple of weeks but then it is just a matter of redirecting your brain.  

I smoked for 42 years and tried many attempts to quit.  I finally found the strength and support on this forum.  

You can do this.  It is the best thing you can do for your life.  

• Like 9

Hi Leon! Welcome aboard the Quit Train :) 

If you are really serious about quitting then stick around here and learn all you can from the people who have all been successful at this quitting thing.

Personal unwavering commitment, education about the smoking addiction you have and, support from other quitters are all key components to getting quit and staying quit. 

If you do stick around, participate regularly and make some new friends. This who process can be both challenging and fun at the same time. 

The most important thing to know is ...... it's totally possible for YOU to be successful :) 

• Like 7

Leon welcome aboard.  Please go over the site and educate yourself about this addiction.  The knowledge will greatly assist you as start this journey.  There are good people here that will help you the best that they can with advice and experience ( we have all gone thru this so we have ways of helping you with the craves).  Take the plunge, pledge NOPE daily, and come here for all sorts of advice and fun -- it can be done.

• Like 6

Welcome Leon. As you can see I am just beginning my quit this month. The people here have been super and the information available is limitless.  Everyone has gone through exactly what you  will go through and will be here to help without judgement. Keep the faith!

• Like 10

Hello Leon 

and welcome to our merry band of nicotine free/smoke free creatures.

I think the first thing I had to understand was

The Law of Addiction

this understanding and acceptance that I had an addiction

helped me to fight it with my whole being and attain my freedom.

You can be free too.  It isn't impossible or even insanely difficult.

You must want to quit more than you want to smoke or vape

and education will tip the balance.

You may find this helpful also,

Ten Ways To Effectively Use This Forum

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Wantsit said:

Welcome Leon. As you can see I am just beginning my quit this month. The people here have been super and the information available is limitless.  Everyone has gone through exactly what you  will go through and will be here to help without judgement. Keep the faith!

You see Leon ... what I said before about becoming active on this site? Wantsit is pretty new here but is already eager to help others that follow. This not only helps new people like yourself but will also help Wantsit to solidify their own quit. There's no down side to being active here. So much information and support. That has made the difference in many a quit :) 

Read all the Green Pinned Posts on the Quit Smoking Discussion page (top of the page there) and watch what ever Joel videos you think might help you understand this addiction and how quitting is very possible. Take it one day at a time for now. You'll do fine if you do this.

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 7

Welcome aboard the QT Leon!  There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said above and everything said above is spot on.  The only way to quit smoking is to QUIT SMOKING.   You have to commit to not smoking no matter what.  No matter how much it sucks, you can't smoke.  Take smoking completely off the table.

It is so worth the effort!  I promise you that.  

• Like 7

Hi leon, 

Its good youve got here! We'll support you all the way.

Unfortunatly buddy youve gotta just grab the bull by the horns, personally id forget your vape but im an all or nothing guy & its each to their own.

Plan for the times youd normally smoke.

Get chewing gum. . . I did, Drink lots of water... and i mean lots & drink fruit juice to keep your sugar levels up(see other posts).

Eat when & what you like for the 1st week or 2

& visit us(quitrain) at least once a day to 'nope' and for inspiration/motivation.

More importantly make Qiutting your number 1 thing in your life for now!

Im only giving you what ive done and encountered..

Good luck

Rhino

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Are you still with us Leon.???

You have been given the best advice to quit and stay quit....

There are folks here in all different stages....old timers ..in betweenies...and newbies....who have all Quit....

You are no different ..it's yours for the  taking if you want it enough...

Vapng will offer you nothing ...as cigarettes offer you nothing ...

The only way you will succeed is to  commit.... One  hundred per cent....

Never stick anything that smokes in your mouth ...never....

We have folks here we  have found the gum useful....as long as you stick to the programme.....

Spend as much time here gaining knowledge ...watch all Joels video,s....watch listen learn....

You can do it !!!!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Hello and welcome Leon....

My first question ...are you still Vaping .????

My second ...if so....do you intend to stop Vaping ?????

I have numerous mods, and just want to vape to keep me off cigarettes. I would rather be a vaper than a smoker.

I do not know if I want to quit vaping also but first things first, GET OFF THE CIGGYS.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well Leon, I have never vaped but was a smoker for 42 years.  I have googled vaping and, from what I read, vaping is not really a healthy alternative.  There are particles that cause cancer and some of the flavors have toxins and chemicals in them.   Seems to me you are trading one addiction for another.  

My suggestion to you would be to stop smoking and vaping altogether. 

• Like 4

Yup - vape is not a viable alternative in my opinion. Quitting is tough sure but, the alternatives are tougher. Smoking related diseases is what I'm referring to. 

You keep vaping, and I say you will relapse to cigs at some point.  If you don't feel you can handle cold turkey, look into some of the other alternatives like NRT gum, patched sprays etc. or a prescription medication to help you along in the early days. You can't just stick one toe in the water with this quitting thing, if you know what I mean. It's 100% commitment time! What's a few weeks of readjustment in the grand scheme of things? You're talking about taking back your freedom and perhaps saving your life. Let us help you along in this journey :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, P2PLeon said:

I have numerous mods, and just want to vape to keep me off cigarettes. I would rather be a vaper than a smoker.

I do not know if I want to quit vaping also but first things first, GET OFF THE CIGGYS.

I think you should be prepared as most people here are not supporters of vaping. 

Edited by Lilly
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, P2PLeon said:

Sorry to tell you this....but getting off the ciggy's and continuing to vape is NOT a step down.  It's a lateral move at best....who knows if they aren't even worse for you then cigarettes...from the look of the puff cloud of smoke coming from a vaper's car I am thinking it is not good

Another reason why you continue to relapse is because you believe the cigarette/vape actually does something for you.  I can assure you...it does nothing (except relieve withdrawal symptoms temporarily)  Once you have all the nicotine out of your body...about 72 hours...the rest of the struggle is mostly psychological.  Powerful...but at this point feeding it nicotine only re-enforces the brainwashing you have had as a smoker and each time you relapse you strengthen that addiction.

You are on a sad vicious cycle and the only way to get off the merry go round is to never take another puff.  Of anything. 

Of all the smoking cessation tools out there...vaping is not one of them.  It's intent is to keep you addicted and the vaping company profits.  that's it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I would seriously recommend a pack of nicotine gum

For me it might have been impossible to quit properly without using the nicotine gums

2 or 3 weeks on nicotine gum and you can easily stay away from cigarettes in my humble opinion

Quitting cigarettes is not easy , but with gums you can see the difference quickly

• Like 2

Prior to quitting for good, I made several attempts to quit by vaping.  I really think that I was vaping more than smoking and probably consuming more nicotine that way.  I got really bad headaches from vaping so much and eventually just went back to smoking.

Based on that personal experience, I just think vaping is not a good way to quit.  As others said, if cold turkey seems too tough, talk to a doctor about about different NRT options.

• Like 2