DC increases cigarette taxes

Wayne045

Just read that Washington DC increased the cigarette tax by $2 per pack, bringing the taxes up to $5 per pack, and the average cost of a pack to $10, which according to the article is now the highest in the US.  Read the article here

As the article points out though, all smokers have to do is take a quick trip to either MD or VA where the taxes are much lower.

33 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Va I can understand because that's tobacco country isn't it?

Taxing the smokes is a double edge sword though because the Gov't then gets used to the revenue so punishing the industry down the road becomes more and more difficult.

I guess it depends on whether you live closer to VA or MD as to where they have to get their fix.

When California implemented the fire safe cigarettes a year or two before the federal government did I would have my mom or sis send me cartons from Florida. A smoker will always find a way around for their addiction. But we can hope by raising the cigarette taxes so high it will discourage people from starting to smoke 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reciprocity said:

Va I can understand because that's tobacco country isn't it?

Taxing the smokes is a double edge sword though because the Gov't then gets used to the revenue so punishing the industry down the road becomes more and more difficult.

G'day

It's Simply really.... use the money now to punish the tobacca mob.

Take the big stick to them with thier own grubby money.

Paybacks a bitch...

C

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wayne045 said:

As the article points out though, all smokers have to do is take a quick trip to either MD or VA where the taxes are much lower.

But are the savings worth the price of the petrol (gas)????

So in Melbourne... you will pay 240% tax per packet... so for a pack a malboro 25s thats $34 Aussie (about $28 US)... so of that $34 the government gets $20.. every pack.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jillar said:

When California implemented the fire safe cigarettes a year or two before the federal government did I would have my mom or sis send me cartons from Florida. A smoker will always find a way around for their addiction. But we can hope by raising the cigarette taxes so high it will discourage people from starting to smoke 

I agree...addicts will always find a way...but hopefully it will help those who are sitting on the fence ,take that leap !!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

But are the savings worth the price of the petrol (gas)????

Yes it is,  DC is fairly small and a 10 minute drive in any direction (notwithstanding rush hour traffic) will get you to either MD or VA, not much gas required, certainly less than a gallon, which is less than the taxes alone.

Another option is to take the Metro (subway).  So take train to first stop in MD or VA.  Get out, hit the nearest convenience store to get your cigarettes and be back on your way in short order.

As you should know as a former smoker, you will go to great lengths and justify anything to keep smoking.

Edited by Wayne045
  • Like 1

Where I live, every time the government raises the cig taxes, the black market in cigarettes goes into high gear and involves the indigenous communities and their own cigarette manufacturing and distribution business.  As has been said, people find a way when they have to. As Doreen said though, perhaps it's enough to discourage younger peeps from starting.

That's where I think there's a bigger threat in the vaping area though - young people just staring out. They are trying to make it look like the thing to do. I have heard countless radio adds in the past week or so for some Vape company where they are offering a free vape "starter kit" to people between the ages of 19 & 21 (conditions apply) yeah like you have to commit to buying so many vials of vape juice or something I'm sure. 

Openly luring young people into vaping though - that's just wrong!!

• Like 1