Menthol Cigs ain't Kool

NADA

I know there is a split on this forum about regulating cigarettes.  With that in mind, I'll leave it up to each individual to decide if this is overdue or over-reach.

The Food and Drug Administration announced Thursday that it will seek a ban on the sale of menthol-flavored cigarettes.

The announcement came as the agency officially released a detailed plan to also restrict the sale of flavored electronic cigarettes. It also wants to ban flavored cigars.

In a statement, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb says the moves are aimed at fighting smoking among young people. Flavored e-cigarettes, menthol-flavored tobacco cigarettes and flavored cigars are all popular among teenagers.

"Today, I'm pursuing actions aimed at addressing the disturbing trend of youth nicotine use and continuing to advance the historic declines we've achieved in recent years in the rates of combustible cigarette use among kids," Gottlieb says.

While cigarette smoking has hit a record low in the United States, vaping has been skyrocketing. That trend has raised concerns that a new generation of young people will become addicted to nicotine.

Gottlieb says the moves were prompted by new data showing a 78 percent increase in e-cigarette use among high school students and a 48 percent increase among middle school students, from 2017 to 2018.

"These data shock my conscience," Gottlieb says.

The ban on menthol, in particular, has been long sought by public health authorities and antismoking advocates. The concern is that the flavoring masks the harshness of tobacco smoke, making it easier for people to start smoking.

"I believe these menthol-flavored products represent one of the most common and pernicious routes by which kids initiate on combustible cigarettes," Gottlieb says.

Menthol cigarettes are especially popular among African-Americans, leading some to charge that tobacco companies have been using the flavoring to target minorities.

To read this story in its entirety, please go to this link

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/11/15/668192356/fda-seeks-ban-on-menthol-cigarettes-to-fight-teen-smoking

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

It doesn't bother me at all if the ban menthol ciggies :) Any step in the right direction to stop young people from starting is a good thing. 

It bothers me more that they are not doing enough to regulate the whole Vape industry. I know up here in the Great White North, they advertise on radio, TV and anywhere they please. Having flavored vape liquid makes me crazy. Clearly that is done to induce younger people to "give it a try"? I guess before there's clear evidence of danger in vaping, there won't be much action on that front!

• Like 5

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but as a lifelong Kool smoker (w/a brief flirtation with Marlboros in my teens), I have always thought that Kools were more addictive than any other cigarettes.  This is partly based on the fact that I was the only smoker I know of who would not smoke any other brand (not even one cigarette), including other menthols, if I ran out of Kools.  I would walk/drive any distance to get more Kools, even if another brand was right at hand and offered to me.  I did switch from Kools to Kool Milds, but that was about it.  For me, banning Kools would have been about the same as banning cigarettes altogether.  

• Like 5

I'm up and down like a flippin yoyo weather I'm for or against banning smokes completely....but I do think that once smokes are banned then all nicotine products should be banned. So either I live under a rock or vaping down here just isn't the thing it is up north.... Its around, I'm see it more and more... and seriously I I can taste the strawberry flavour in the 'not smoke' cloud 10 meters away what the fruck is it doing to the deluded jukies 'smoking' it?????.... so I have never seen or heard advertising for vapes over here and I spose I have just assumed it fulls under the total ban that applies to tobacco..... will look into it... and let you know. I spose if my goverrnment decided to outlaw ciggies and vapes I'd back and support them but I'm just as likely to get splinter in me arse sittin on the fence on this one.

• Like 3

I'm all for it! I wish they would take all nicotine products from stores and only be allowed to sell from age regulated "smoke shops". (I know this will never happen because the money)

They just passed some regulations on Juul tho, it's a step in the right direction.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/13/juul-stops-selling-e-cigarette-flavors-social-media-promotions/

Vape is a big thing in my small town...we have 3 churches, 2 convience type stores, McDonald's and 2 independent vape shops. Very sad "downtown" drive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If I had read this a couple of weeks ago I would have been marching into this thread like Rambo, firing my machine guns in the air ??

Now that I completely "get" nicotine addiction I feel differently.

I am all for any change that is going to save future generations from smoking. 

It's a killer addiction ☹️

• Like 3

I hate cigarettes.  I hate big tobacco.

That being said, I don't think outlawing tobacco is the answer.  Here in America at least, the prohibition of alcohol was an abysmal failure.  Our "war on drugs" has been an exercise in futility that has stumbled in place for over a half-century.  The law of unintended consequences always rears its head in these situations.  Not only will we not alleviate the current smoking problem by banning tobacco, we will have to deal with a host of new issues arising from yet another black market.

Ironically enough, programs intended to curb and eventually eliminate underage smoking are easier to implement so long as tobacco is legal.  Ban tobacco and the black market will be a free-for-all.

Edited by Boo
  • Like 6

Legislation has already been passed in the European Union to ban menthol cigarettes and will be implemented May 2020. This has come as part of the European Tobacco Products Directive passed into law in May 2016. There is a rumour that as part of BrexIt this piece of legislation may be torn up. 

Personally I am for people to have their own freedom of choice, rather than state believing that they should make choices on behalf of everyone. Menthol allowed or not is kind of borderline though. 

• Like 4

I'm on the fence doing the yo yo thing like jo, but either ban nicotine or don't.  Picking and choosing the flavors allowed, as well as mostly taking a let's wait and see if it causes people to grow horns and extra toes while their lungs deflate attitude towards e-cigs and vaping, isn't likely to accomplish much.  

• Like 3

I'm for getting rid of menthol. That was all I smoked and I would choose to go without than smoke a regular puff.. 

Now with the vape thing I thing they should ban all the silly flavours, you wanna sook in nicotine then don't candy coat it.. and I am well sick of walking through clouds of canyfloss and tootyfruity that goes on for miles.... why..  just .. why....!!

• Like 2