Father died of emphysema last night

Kate18

Yesterday at 4:20 pm my father died of smoking-related emphysema. He had smoked for more than 50 years. How many years more would he have had with a wife and family he loved? 

I have not given up on myself. I have a new job as of several months ago, and it comes with excellent health insurance. I have joined the medical insurance company's preparation for smoking cessation coaching program to help with better plans for quitting and making it stick. The first session was an eye opener. I though I knew all of the strategies for quitting, but I was wrong. It's a Web-based conference call, supposed to be a small group of four of us, but the other three didn't show up. It was nice to have one-on-one conversation about my past efforts and how I can make this time the last time. Three more sessions to go. After that, they offer a staying-quit coaching group, which I also will join.

When I am truly quit and have a month or two successfully lived as a nonsmoker, I'll be back to make daily pledges.  Until then,  may you all be happily living free of addiction and breathing only clean air.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Condolences on the passing of your beloved father Kate! I'm glad to hear you are pursuing every method of creating a successful quit for yourself that you can. This smoking addiction is nasty and I just hate it! It only takes and gives us nothing good in return.

Hope to see you when ever you feel you'd like some support from us here on the Train.

• Like 6

So sorry to hear Kate. I lost my dad to virtually the same thing almost three years ago and have wanted to quit every since.  I do not want to only be able to live by the length of a hose. What misery that has to be and could it have been prevented? Probably . I also saw what throat cancer did and hope I have the strength to stay strong enough to beat these demons. I have come to want this more than anything and wish for you the same thing! Prayers to you and your family.

• Like 8

Kate,

So terribly sorry about the loss of you dad.  I bet this is especially tough during the holidays.   

I am glad you have come to realize the health costs of smoking.  You do not have to wait to become a part of the forum.  We would love to follow you on your journey of ridding yourself of this addiction.  There is so much information here and lots of friendship.  We are a great support system.  We have all been through the withdrawal and come out on the other side.

Linda  

• Like 5

Condolences for the loss of your father, my the happy memories of your life with him soon shine brightly through your grief.

I think he would be proud you are doing everything you can to have a successful quit. When you are ready we will be here waiting but you don't need to be in an established quit, we are here for the bumpy, ugly days too.

• Like 2

My condolences on the passing of your father.  

Please do not confuse thinking of and planning for quitting for actually quitting and trying to save your life.  I have seen hundreds (thousands?) of people over the years use lengthy preparation as an unconscious method of avoiding the actual quit.  The time to quit is now, and every cigarette is damaging and potentially killing you.  You have everything you need to be successful right now.    

Christian99

Nearing 17 Years Quit

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 9:52 PM, Christian99 said:

Please do not confuse thinking of and planning for quitting for actually quitting and trying to save your life.  I have seen hundreds (thousands?) of people over the years use lengthy preparation as an unconscious method of avoiding the actual quit.  The time to quit is now, and every cigarette is damaging and potentially killing you.  You have everything you need to be successful right now.    

Christian99

Nearing 17 Years Quit

↑↑↑↑↑

I agree 100%.

I am sorry to learn you have lost your father Kate, that is a horrible loss.

At the same time, you may want to ask yourself, Is there a valid reason why you must wait to start your quit ????

Cristóbal

• Like 2

It is always tough to lose a loved one.  Now it's your turn to prevent that for yourself.  Just quit.  Stop it.  Now.  Making plans to quit means you are not serious about it.  It's like talking about taking a trip or going on a cruise.  It's just talk.  You are not going on the trip or taking a cruise until you go.  Cutting down, using alternative methods or fooling yourself is not quitting.  Like jumping into a cold swimming pool, no matter how long you wait, the water is still cold.   YOu have to confront the demon called nicotine and go to war against him, vowing never to bow to his influences ever again.  We're here to help.  Put them down today and never buy another pack, never borrow another butt.  It's tough for a week, then it gets better.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 3:47 PM, Kate18 said:

When I am truly quit and have a month or two successfully lived as a nonsmoker, I'll be back to make daily pledges.  Until then,  may you all be happily living free of addiction and breathing only clean air.

Hope you are ok Kate. 

Let your grief take its natural course and when you feel ready we will be here for you. 

Take good care of yourself x

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 9:52 PM, Christian99 said:

Christian99

Nearing 17 Years Quit

Thank you Christian,

I have been weary and disheartened by so many lapses. I have a challenge with impulse control and procrastination that have impacted my life in general.  I've been reading up and working on increasing my willpower. People influencing and helping me include Jordan Peterson (Professor of something in Toronto) through his lectures on Youtube and his books,  and Roy Baaumeister & John Tierney with their book, "Willpower: Rediscovering the greatest human strength. 

• Like 1