Top 20 Songs of the 90's

notsmokinjo

So was gunna post in the "What are you doing right now thread" that I am watching the top 100 hits of the 90s..... then I was going to have a whinge at some of the songs in that haven't made the top 10... then I thought.... lets put it out to the peeps.... pretty sure all of us remember the 90s.... the 90s had some real crap and some absolute gems.... so what song/s do you think we will find in the top 20... now remember this is an Aussie list... so anything goes really.... currently up to song 29.... I can confirm that Thunderstruck didn't make the top 30... but then again neither did Barbie Girl.... I will keep the top 10 a surprise... lets see who here has the best 1990's music knowledge.... @WeegieWoman this one should be right up you alley... and lets just say Brit music did OK down under during my teens and early 20s.... wonder if anyone can pick the number 1....

OK going out on a limb and saying...

#1 will be Sounds Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)

#2 will be Under The Bridge (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)

#3 will be Wonderwall (Oasis)

#4 will be Wannabe (Spice Girls)

#5 will be Everybody (Back Street Boys)

Highest Aussie song will be.... Tomorrow or something else by Silverchair

Metallic (Enter Sandman) will not make the top 10 but that stupid song from The Bodyguard will.

Cranberries will not have a song in the top 20

• Like 1

OK... to be nice, I'll give you a count down to #31.... well give you some idea of the sort of stuff we were diggin (well those who listened to commercial stations that is) were listening to....

#31... Shoop .... Salt N Peppa

#30 ... I'm Too Sexy .... Right Said Fred

#29... Rush.... Big Audio Dynamite

#28... Return of the Mack... Mark Morrison

#27... Truely, Maddly, Deeply... Savage Garden

#26... Creep.... Radiohead

#25... 3am .... Matchbox 20

#24... Ice Ice Baby .... Vanilla Ice   (no sorry, I am not joking... this made #24 ahead of 76 other songs!)

#23... Black Hole Sun ... Soundgarden

#22... (Hit Me) Baby One More Time .... Brittany Spears

Ok we are well into the top 20 now.... I will be holdin' off on the Top 10... but for the purpose of being helpful here are the next batch that are already gone....and lets just say... one of my top 5 (not personally but what I guessed the programmers would say) is already out....

#20... Common People .... Pulp (seriously #20???)

#19... Mmmmm Bop... Hanson

#18... Don't Speak .... No Doubt

#17... Everybody... Backstreet Boys (Glad its not in the top 5... but kinda bummed I was so wrong)

#16... Are You Gonna Go My Way.... Lenny Kavitz

#15... California Love... Tupac ft. Dr Dre

#14... Killing In The Name Of.... Rage Against the Machine

#13... Black or White... Michael Jackson

#12... Alive.... Pearl Jam

Coolio.... sang Gangster's Paradise... that should defo make top 10skis.

Don't frickin ask me how mmm bop got on the top 100 let alone the top 20.... I was a grunge girl... and a rock girl but well... I did the raver thing too..... just not a real pop girl... it should be grunge heavy though because grunge was huge here...

OK.....

#11 Time Of Your Life (Good Riddance) .... Green Day....

Not given out any more until we get some guesses.... just see if you can get one song in the top 10.....

OK for those picking from the Northern Hemisphere....

1. Ignore my previous comment regarding Grunge.

2. The top ten artists came from Australia (1), Canada (1), England (2), Ireland (2) and the USA (4).....

3. The Aussie artist in the top 10 is not Silverchair.

So... who thinks they might be able to pick at least 1 song in the top 10 as selected by the programmers at Max (a music video channel)

• Like 1

Oh Weegie you are so good at this game.... knew it would be your era.... so far you defo have one with Sinead.... and the other Irish act is one of the two you have mentioned.... so you have 4 top 10 that you have named already.... Jane is probably the right age to know this stuff I'll give her a hoy....

Oh @c9jane29 what do you think.... reakon you can pick at least 1 song from the Top 10 Ultimate Songs of the 1990's as chosen by tv programmers in Australia?

Who else would be able to have a fair stab....????  

I know the answers now but I am trying not to sway anyone... Weegie is super good at this though and I didn't do too bad. Didn't get #1 right but was close.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Oh @c9jane29 what do you think.... reakon you can pick at least 1 song from the Top 10 Ultimate Songs of the 1990's as chosen by tv programmers in Australia?

Lemme think while I have my coffee...just got up?

Celine Dion--either My Heart Will Go On or Beacuse You Loved Me (oh, the school dances to those)

Elton John--any song from The Lion King

Paul McCartney-- Hey Jude (maybe Let It Be but pretty sure Jude was way more popular song)

Guns and Roses-- Knocking on Heaven's Door

Edited by c9jane29
Adding as I go
  • Like 1

I don't have a clue what the folks on Australian TV (do records go around the other way in the southern hemisphere?) will pick as the best songs of the nineties.  My picks for the best songs from that decade are based entirely on the cassette tapes (kids ask your parents.) that I popped in and cranked up way too loud when I went tearing out of my high school parking lot in my Bronco.

That means my list is heavy on songs from the albums Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell by Social Distortion and Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden. 

• Haha 2

TISM - Greg!The Stop Sign (or anything off the Machiavelli and the Four Seasons album)

Frenzal Rhomb - Punch in the Face

Nirvana - The entire Nevermind Album

The Whitlams - No Aphrodisiac

The Dead Salesmen - Eden

If I was going personal and not trying to predict the masses....

So the top ten were.....

10. The Horses... Daryl Braithwaite (the Aussie contingent.... this song has actually become a cult classic due to it being used at the COX Plate (a horse race).... see for 10 years they got Daryl to sing as the race horse came out for the race... then one year they decided he was too old and they got other bloke to sing it.... well the Melbourne crowd was havin' none of that and chanted over him until he stopped "we want Daryl, we want Daryl".... so the other singer stops... and then the crowd cos mental and sings the song and didn't stop chanting about bloody Daryl until the race started... so Daryl has sung it every year since)

9. Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (first of the Americans) ..... honestly thought this would be higher.

8. Ironic - Alanis Morrisette (the Canadian).....don't even start me on this song... although maybe ironic means something different in Canada than it does here because no it is not ironic... bad luck yes.... but ironic... NO.

7. Nothing Compares 2 U .... Sinead O'Connor (the first of our Irish contingent.... and well done @WeegieWoman )

6. Wannabe .... The Spice Girls (the first of the Englishers)

5. One... U2 (and that's the Irish done)

so there are 3 American artists and 1 English artist left... who will be number one.......

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Haha 1

^^^ On behalf of all Canadians, I apologize for both Morrisette and the other screaming one from Quebec. We tried to keep them local but something went horribly wrong ? 

As for the Beibs .... I heard he just got married :3_grin: That should keep him occupied for a day or two ?

• Haha 3

Oh its clues you want.....

OK....

2 are solo acts

2 are bands

3 have been previously mentioned in this thread (see Weegie posts or Jo posts)

1 has not had a mention at all despite being rather famous and over multiple decades

1 song could be considered a one hit wonder... if you just look mainstream

#4 ... Gangsta's Paradise.... Coolio..... the cross over song that bought Hip Hop to the masses, musically this song was ground breaking on a multitude of levels... from the sampling of Steve Wonders classic to the rapper gospel harmonization an collaboration....

You certainly called that one Weegie.....

3 to go...... and the England is still in with a chance to have the number one... will the scotts doen their British cap to claim a victory as their own????

• Like 1

OK.... before sun up tomorrow I will do the final 3....

#3.... and I didn't even think of her..... Vogue.. Madonna....

that leaves 2 groups.... one US... one English.... who will they be.... in what order will they be.... you all know 'em... its the big 1-2....