The holidays

Mee

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 2:11 PM, Linda Thomas said:

We are heading into that time of year and, even though I feel confident in my quit, I am a little fearful of the holidays.  They use to be such a great joy and spiritual fulfillment for me but over the last couple of years I have come to dread them.   My emphasis was always on having that loving memory that was going to be left behind.  What always occurred was more like one of those comedies you see at the movies.  I always got through by sneaking upstairs to the bathroom and having my smoke out the window.  

Every year I start fresh with that hope and end with such disappointment.  I know you will all tell me to go away for the holidays but I can't.  I know my grand kids look forward to Grandma's homemade sticky buns and my son is single and does not have a family besides us.  This might be the last year with my dad.  His health is declining.   

No one has the perfect get together and I am sure that even though things do not go as planned, we will probably still look back and find something good about them.  

I know the longer I stay quit, the more powerful I become.  Maybe my fear this year is that I may be too outspoken for everyone.  I might just finally not put up with some peoples sh**t.

Whatever, I just wanted to get this out there as we head into the holidays.  You are all so great at redirecting my thoughts and helping me through.

Okay, I wrote this one month ago.  Going back and rereading this, I am thinking "who is this person"?  I was sure I could not do the holidays without the calming effects that I felt smoking gave me.  Well guess what?  Not much has changed in my life.  Still as crazy as ever.  Christmas is two weeks away and I don't have my ducks all in a row and I feel fine.  

I used to feel that it was everyone else that had to make things better for me but, in reality, it was me that had to make the change.  

That change was me quitting smoking.   I have never felt better about myself.  I feel so much more powerful and in control of my life.  

I guess I would like to say thanks to all of you for giving me the best gift this year.  You have given me the gift of friendship, support and most of all the ability to see that I had the strength to conquer my addiction.   

Linda

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Linda Thomas said:

Okay, I wrote this one month ago.  Going back and rereading this, I am thinking "who is this person"?  I was sure I could not do the holidays without the calming effects that I felt smoking gave me.  Well guess what?  Not much has changed in my life.  Still as crazy as ever.  Christmas is two weeks away and I don't have my ducks all in a row and I feel fine.  

I used to feel that it was everyone else that had to make things better for me but, in reality, it was me that had to make the change.  

That change was me quitting smoking.   I have never felt better about myself.  I feel so much more powerful and in control of my life.  

I guess I would like to say thanks to all of you for giving me the best gift this year.  You have given me the gift of friendship, support and most of all the ability to see that I had the strength to conquer my addiction.   

Linda

Love, love, love this Linda :) You have come so far already and I'm thrilled for you :) isn't it great to see your progress from just one month ago?! I used to read my topics each monthaversary to remember where I came from and how far I've come. Unfortunately for me they were lost when qsmb went down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

Linda

Proud of our little Chicklette..it really is wonderful watching you get stronger day by day .......x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You have built a beautiful quit, Linda

and your strength and inner fortitude is an inspiration to all of us.

It was just under the surface but, gangster-ed by nicotine.

You have blossomed, for sure

and the gifts you bring to the board are truly awesome.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Good bump Jillar ....

Its so easy to get lost in all the Hype ... Thanksgiving and Xmas .....

Remember Newbies ...it's only one day .....pledge ....that promise ....

Be Thankful ....your not still having to kill yourselves slowly with this horrible addiction ...

Have a great time 👌🐸

• Like 2

Holidays is a blur currently dealing with empty nester syndrome. I’ve been a single

dad since 2004 and a few weeks ago my last kid got their own place and now it’s just me n the dogs.
30+ years since I’ve lived alone this has been a mental adjustment. Good news is I could care less about smoking. 
Happy Thanksgiving QT people’s!!

• Like 3