Quitting Soon...I Hope

Mr. Hamilton

Hello; I'm still relatively new to quitting. I'm twenty-three; been smoking cigarettes since I was about sixteen. Started trying to quit a couple years ago; my record is almost three days. 

I'm about to start a new job on the 15th of this month, and I'm hoping for that to be my quit date, but I'm not sure if I'm ready, but I wanna be, yada yada yada and so on and so forth, ESPECIALLY because this new job docks me a hundred bucks because I'm a smoker, and it pisses me off dammit, lol. The easiest way to keep my money becomes clear pretty quick, doesn't it. I must QUIT. O.O

...Cigarettes, I mean. Not my new job which pays fourteen bucks an hour. That'd be silly haha. That's more money than I've made since I was a wildland firefighter, not to mention it comes with a lot more benefits than my former career as human canon fodder. Plus it's a giant worldwide conglomorate which allows me to pack up and move to a new city and start working at one of their offices there instead. Plus they'll help with college tuition. Have a feeling it'll open a lot of doors.  

Anyhoo...Pleasure to be here. ...I guess. Lol. 

PS: What are your best tips for me to be able to quit in the next seven days, five hours, and twenty-one minutes? I've got patches. I can get gum. Maybe start vaping?

--JT

Edited by Mr. Hamilton
  • Like 3

Hi and welcome Mr Hamilton

Glad you found us...

When you quit ,you instantly give yourself a huge payrise....

There is tons of info here...videos to watch....go to our Main board and check the green pinned threads...

The members here ..will all support you in your journey...

You can do it...

• Like 3

First, I would throw away "I hope" and "not sure"... Negative self talk gives you an out. You have to want this quit for YOU (not a job/money). You have to completely commit for it to work.

But, the good news is, quitting is as easy as never putting a cigarette in your mouth. That's it. That's all. 

As Doreensfree said, educate your self on actual nicotine addiction, and the changes it's made in your mind and body to build a firm quit foundation. 

Get your snacks/juice and distractions ready and just dive in! 

• Like 4

Quit now, today! Why wait? Never a better time and those first few days can be a bit distracting while you focus on beating the cravings so not a great time to be trying to start a new job where 100% of your attention is required. Get those early days over now; the sooner the better :) 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

40 minutes ago, c9jane29 said:

Hello Merryxmas3...welcome to the train :) Take a minute to start your own intro post as I see your own quit date was yesterday.

Hi Pott! How's it going? 

• Haha 5

Welcome Mr Hamilton :) Congrats on the new job and deciding to quit. You are very smart to quit at your age instead of when your health starts to suffer. 

So, first thing to help prepare for your quit is to NOT VAPE! You'll end up getting way more nicotine than by smoking and no one knows the long term effects of doing it.

Next, stop smoking where you normally do like your car if you smoke in it. I always smoked in my garage so I quit smoking there about a month before I actually quit and helped me disassociate that area with smoking so that every time I walked in there I didn't instantly crave :)

Dont use both patches and gum. Use one or the other and remember that you will at some point have to withdraw from that. 

You can do it and at your age im guessing you'll have a much easier time of quitting than someone who's smoked for decades.

• Like 2

Hi Hamilton!  Sounds to me like you are at a major turn in your life.  Why would you want to take the negative with you.  You are still so young and have so much life ahead of you and this is a great time to quit.  You need to just stop smoking and bite the bullet.  It is not pleasant the first couple of weeks but is doable.  It is so worth the challenge.  

I am so glad you found this forum.  It is a wonderful place for information and support.  I look forward to helping guide you in this journey!

Linda

• Like 3

Mr. Hamilton welcome aboard, we are glad to have you.  I with the Pig Lover on this one, it would be best to quit now so you have more focus on your new job when you begin.  Trying to quit smoking and starting a new job the same day could be overload on the stress -- just a thought.   You can use NRT if will help you.  I went cold turkey after 44 years of smoking, it was tough not gonna lie there, but it was doable.  The craves are still there after the first week but the toughest part is over.  As for tips -- come here often, do the daily NOPE pledge, plenty of cold water to drink, and deep breathing techniques -- all of these helped me a great deal!!!

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Mr. Hamilton.

When you make the commitment and quit smoking, the rewards begin immediately and increase exponentially.

Do yourself a favor, quit today.

10 hours ago, Mr. Hamilton said:

PS: What are your best tips for me to be able to quit in the next seven days, five hours, and twenty-one minutes? 

Don't put anything in your mouth and set it on fire.

Seriously, it's just that simple!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mr. Hamilton said:

PS: What are your best tips for me to be able to quit in the next seven days, five hours, and twenty-one minutes? I've got patches. I can get gum. Maybe start vaping?

--JT

I would definitely say NO to vaping.   I tried that way and it gave me a false sense of security and I think I wound up consuming more nicotine that way.  I think I was vaping more than I was smoking and started to feel sick by doing that. 

The goal is to get nicotine out of your system.  Cold turkey is a way that worked for many but, if you want to go with an NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy), it would be best to discuss this with a doctor.  I definitely would advise against vaping.

Support and education are what helped many here.  Learning about nicotine addiction and having a support group to help you through tough times can really help.  You can find both here.

^^^^^

I was censored and locked out the last time I spoke honestly about this constantly changing character. Strange and demoralizing. Guess I’ll just stay away.

Hope you succeed in remaining smoke free and eventually nicotine free Mr Hamilton.