SOS is cold turkey to patches ok!!!

RhinoDragon

Hi Rhino. Nrt you have a few options. If you feel you need something momentarily rather than all the time maybe the nicotine gum or lozenges would suit you better? They for sure massively help with the cravings!! I took a wee lozenge a few times a day. But i was wearing a patch too. You can maybe take advise from the pharmacy if you go to buy them tomorrow? Keep us posted 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi rhino, why put nicotine back into your body when you've been quit a week and a half and all the nicotine is gone now?! What you are craving now is more psychological than physical. What I did, and I quit cold turkey too, was pretend I was holding an actual cigarette in my fingers and than went through the motions of "smoking" it. It really worked great at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Maybe try that first?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

What have you got in your tool box Rhino ????

I have to agree with jillar...its just you and your brain now...battle of the wits...

I chewed regular gum..but if it comes down to either you go NRT..or smoke then ...I would try the lozenges or chewing gum when needed..

Just don't stick anything in your mouth and set fire to it..

Stay close buddy...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with jillar, what you are "craving" is the dopamine release or the instant gratification feeling. Have a small snack to get your blood sugar up.

I would not recommend putting nicotine in your body at this point, seems like steps backwards, and you will have to get off those at some point too. 

I would try to ride it out, eat some chocolate and try positive self talk :)

Edited by c9jane29
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Doreensfree said:

What have you got in your tool box Rhino ????

I have to agree with jillar...its just you and your brain now...battle of the wits...

I chewed regular gum..but if it comes down to either you go NRT..or smoke then ...I would try the lozenges or chewing gum when needed..

Just don't stick anything in your mouth and set fire to it..

Stay close buddy...

Thanks D im sticking as i was ? slightly veered off a tiny bit...

Back now though!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

NRT's have been very successful for many people but they used it to slowly ween themselves off of nicotine.  However, at this point, you are already nicotine free - I wouldn't go back to putting nicotine in your system.  What you are feeling is now psychological cravings, not physical ones.  It is best to stay nicotine free now.

I'm glad

13 minutes ago, RhinoDragon said:

Thanks D im sticking as i was ? slightly veered off a tiny bit...

Back now though!

I'm glad you are back.  Great job posting an SOS.  You can do this!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, c9jane29 said:

I agree with jillar, what you are "craving" is the dopamine release or the instant gratification.

I would try to ride it out, eat some chocolate and try positive self talk :)

Thanks c9, Ive just been and bought a few beers, some chewing gum & I have my pen(as my imitation fag) ready.

Im feeling okay now, lot better! . Enough sugar and the mellowness off the alcohol is doing the job. You know what its like... You seem to battle with your mind to warrent a smoke.. Ive won this time... For now lol

Rhino

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not to overdo the responses to you Rhino but I just had to chip in with my 2 cents worth ...... I agree 100% with others that have said do everything possible to keep nicotine out of your system. It's gone now so don't introduce it back in. The mental adjustment part of the quit is tough in the early days and weeks but IT IS doable. You're no different. When I quit, I was on patches frist 2 days then just said F-it! I'm gonna face the demon head on and just battle through. It was not easy and I had to use every tool I could think of to get past the early days of constant urges to smoke but guess what? I did it! So can you or anybody else. 

Carry on sir. You're doing fabulous :) 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, c9jane29 said:

And, not trying to be a b****, but your profile picture is smoking a pipe and I don't know if that's the image you want to portray of yourself in your early quit.

Fair point but ill have to sort that another time c9 sorry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just a cautionary note on the alcohol Rhino. It's been the ruin of many a quit. It never bothered me and it doesn't bother some but I have read too many stories of others who lost their quit after having one too many. Go easy until you know which camp you fall into is all :) 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Just a cautionary note on the alcohol Rhino. It's been the ruin of many a quit. 

Yep roger that Reci.. roger that! Im keeping the numbers lower than normal but just dont want to completely remove alcohol.

Its a comforting crutch for me as a small amout but i agree with you 100%

Thanks for the 2 cents lol

• Like 6

Glad to see you are ok Rhino. 

With NRT I think that's a personal choice. The nicotine going is the easiest part in my opinion, it's the mental part that's the hardest and the longest. 

I think sometimes we get in a panic and think we're going to smoke, but once we say the words out loud to someone on here we calm down. I think that's probably where an SOS helps. I've been struggling the last couple of days but have found the games help me. I don't think weegie woman realised how much they were helping me by playing with me. 

Enjoy your beer ?

Edited by Lilly
Wedgie Woman lol
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Rhino, I think it is more the emotional need than the nicotine need .    I also had a hard time with depression but had an issue with that before I quit.  I did see my physician and she bumped my medication up.  Once I quit, I did not want to put nicotine back in my body.  Try to envision your body healing as you are moving forward.  

Those wobbles really throw you off.  I have been having quite a few lately and I just hit three months.  So glad you were able to work through your crave.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RhinoDragon said:

Jillar your right! Sorry for the urgency

Um... mate, don't be sorry... we have all been there... that's what we are all still here for, to help each other through these wobbles... it was urgent at the time... you did the right thing and posted... nothing to be sorry about... much better to hit the SOS button and have the words of others help you through than try to ride it out alone and not succeed... no more saying sorry for asking for help... its why we are here... all of us have asked at some time... we would rather you asked than loose your quit... saying sorry is like saying you and your quit aren't worth it and they are.

12 hours ago, RhinoDragon said:

I have my pen(as my imitation fag) ready.

Just a heads up, I used a pen for my fake smoke... it worked great until I drew back a bit too hard one day and got a mouth full of ink.... so delicious, not... lol... pretty funny too having blue inc all over my mouth at work... I laugh now... but ink tastes pretty rank. LOL. used a straw after that.

12 hours ago, Lilly said:

The nicotine going is the easiest part in my opinion, it's the mental part that's the hardest and the longest.

100% agree with this ^^. So going in I knew the mental part was my biggest issue and I used NRT gum from the start... not because I wanted to avoid the nicotine detox but because I needed to take the edge off it to break enough of the mental habit as I could before completely removing nicotine.

@RhinoDragon glad you got through it... putting it out there and in words takes away half the power of the crave... it can't be a secret voice in your head egging you one when you've outed it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Um... mate, don't be sorry... we have all been there... that's what we are all still here for, to help each other through these wobbles... it was urgent at the time... you did the right thing and posted... nothing to be sorry about... much better to hit the SOS button and have the words of others help you through than try to ride it out alone and not succeed... no more saying sorry for asking for help... its why we are here... all of us have asked at some time... we would rather you asked than loose your quit... saying sorry is like saying you and your quit aren't worth it and they are.

Just a heads up, I used a pen for my fake smoke... it worked great until I drew back a bit too hard one day and got a mouth full of ink.... so delicious, not... lol... pretty funny too having blue inc all over my mouth at work... I laugh now... but ink tastes pretty rank. LOL. used a straw after that.

100% agree with this ^^. So going in I knew the mental part was my biggest issue and I used NRT gum from the start... not because I wanted to avoid the nicotine detox but because I needed to take the edge off it to break enough of the mental habit as I could before completely removing nicotine.

@RhinoDragon 

The urgency apology was because it couldve waited & other qiuttrainers might not of seen it from my perspective thats all... also wasnt as urgent in my eyes as one of us that had a fag in their hand for example. The instant support of everyone made me see sense though, I needed confirmation that now the nicotine has gone. . . Don't re-introduce it.

Lol...no no Ive taken the inards out for that reason... 

The habitual part of smoking has gone 100% with me.

Im an all or nothing guy and thats why ive opted the cold turkey route.

NSJ thanks ?

• Like 4