Smoker's To Pay More In The UK !!!

Doreensfree

From 12 O clock tonight ...smokers will have to pay 33 pence extra for a packet of cigarettes....

Due to the budget ...

Lurkers !!!!.......jump on the train now and quit !!!.....save yourself a fortune...Give yourself a pay rise instantly.....and get healthier too....

• Like 4

Yes lurkers, as you peruse the various posts take a look at our members tickers. The amount of money saved and cigarettes not smoked will astonish you. It still does me!

Edited by jillar
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Whispers said:

Manhattan its 16-17 bucks USD per pack... glad i quit... 

They said this would happen in TX too but last I saw you can still get a pack of Marlboro for $5.39...

I do like the pic too...they should all say "I'm with stupid------>" (red arrow pointing to filter)

• Like 4

Ok... so Down Under is not the place to smoke...

1 pack (Marlboro) is $34.00AUS ... which is:

£ 19

US$ 24

€ 21

Can$ 31

Indian Rupee Rs 1,746

DKK kr156

It goes up periodically and by 2020 it will be $40 per pack. More than 250% of this price is tax which is supposed to go to the health budget and to education. It is a program called prohibitive pricing designed to make people quit. So any Aussie lurkers out there or any over seas people thinking of moving down under... quit now before it sends you broke or kills you... both are likely if you live in Aus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Ok... so Down Under is not the place to smoke...

1 pack (Marlboro) is $34.00AUS ... which is:

£ 19

US$ 24

€ 21

Can$ 31

Indian Rupee Rs 1,746

DKK kr156

It goes up periodically and by 2020 it will be $40 per pack. More than 250% of this price is tax which is supposed to go to the health budget and to education. It is a program called prohibitive pricing designed to make people quit. So any Aussie lurkers out there or any over seas people thinking of moving down under... quit now before it sends you broke or kills you... both are likely if you live in Aus.

How many do you get in a pack as I keep reading Australia has bigger packages?

When i quit it was 10-11 per pack i was a pack a day. Over 300 a month i saved, Manhattan is over priced on SI 14-15 per pack roughly USD. My car lease payment i saved + what insurance cost me per month. As an ex smoker i basically have a free car (how i look at it).

11 minutes ago, Lilly said:

They have ciggs 20 per pack and also 25 per pack. They have 25's in the states but not popular here but they do sell them

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Prices given were for a 25 pack

Pack sizes.... we have..

10 packs... not common and in Melbourne sort of looked down on as the packs to hook the kids... I can only think of 3 brands doing these.

20 packs... not common... maybe 1/2 the brands do these

25 packs... what most packs are and what the prices above were based on.... 90% of brands do 25's

30 packs... not common... maybe 1/4 of brands do these

40 packs.... the most common of the larger packs.....maybe 2/3rd of brands do these

50 packs... aka bucket-a-smokes.... about 1/4 of the brands do a 50 pack.

I used to smoke 20-30 a day.... I would usually buy 40 packs.... BUT I was an expert at smoke maths and depending on what was on special I could calculate the cheapest price per smoke and would change my pack size for the most value. I smoked one of the most budget brands.

It is illegal to sell singles... or break pack seals... doesn't mean there aren't heaps of shops doing it but the fine is huge if you do.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Thanks 1

We don't do 10 packets anymore.... I did see a notice today in a local shop...ii read....

The Lowest Pack.of Cigarettes Sold Here.....£ 8 10 pence....so this will be true rubbish off  the factory floor...

The best brands will be over £10 i should imagine.......

15 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Pack sizes.... we have..

10 packs... not common and in Melbourne sort of looked down on as the packs to hook the kids... I can only think of 3 brands doing these.

20 packs... not common... maybe 1/2 the brands do these

25 packs... what most packs are and what the prices above were based on.... 90% of brands do 25's

30 packs... not common... maybe 1/4 of brands do these

40 packs.... the most common of the larger packs.....maybe 2/3rd of brands do these

50 packs... aka bucket-a-smokes.... about 1/4 of the brands do a 50 pack.

I used to smoke 20-30 a day.... I would usually buy 40 packs.... BUT I was an expert at smoke maths and depending on what was on special I could calculate the cheapest price per smoke and would change my pack size for the most value. I smoked one of the most budget brands.

It is illegal to sell singles... or break pack seals... doesn't mean there aren't heaps of shops doing it but the fine is huge if you do.

I am just trying to work out if Australia is actually more expensive if they get more per pack. 

How much was your 40 pack?

I just looked on-line for my state, Virginia (US).   The average price here is $4.69 per pack.   That's not much more than what it was when I quit almost 2.5 years ago.  I think it was $4.30 or so when I quit.

According to the table I saw, Virginia is the 3rd lowest in the US in terms of cost per pack.

Edited by Wayne045
  • Sad 1

Health Canada is looking at requiring cigarette makers to print health warnings on each cigarette. If passed, this will be a first. I bet the tobacco industry won't like that! Lots of logistic and cost issues  Probably drive the cost of smokes sky high in Canada as well. They are only about $15.00 for a pack of 25 at the moment.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-health-canada-considering-warning-labels-on-individual-cigarettes/

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Health Canada is looking at requiring cigarette makers to print health warnings on each cigarette

OK... so I was about to comment.... but wouldn't the chemicals in the printing ink be toxic... and then I realised what it would be printed on on pfft... whats a few more poisonous chemicals.... I actually thing this is an awesome idea.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

No amount of pictures or health warnings will deter smokers. After the first time you look at them you stop even noticing them. 

Nobody I know has ever quit smoking because of the packaging. It's usually pregnancy, health, cost or they just didn't want to do it any longer. 

I'm proud I've quit smoking but I still believe it should be a choice. 

Edited by Lilly
Spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wayne045 said:

I just looked on-line for my state, Virginia (US).   The average price here is $4.69 per pack.   That's not much more than what it was when I quit almost 2.5 years ago.  I think it was $4.30 or so when I quit.

According to the table I saw, Virginia is the 3rd lowest in the US in terms of cost per pack.

There has been a bust out here every couple of months, they're bringing them from your state over here . With the prices getting higher and higher the bodega out here sell them, some stores are just fronts for ciggs and drugs. You walk in them cant buy a newspaper and the deli case looks gross. They sell them for 9-10 bucks per pack the out of state ciggs. https://www.silive.com/news/2018/10/6-staten-islanders-busted-in-4m-cigarette-trafficking-ring.html    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

I am just trying to work out if Australia is actually more expensive if they get more per pack. 

How much was your 40 pack?

When I quit (nearly 12 months ago) I was paying $38.50 for a pack of 40 budget brand (so floor sweepings) cigarettes. The same pack, if I went to buy it today would cost $48.50 (aprox £27) ... I am a child of the decimal system so I only do dollars and sense... but it works out to $1.21/smoke.

The prices given for Marlboro were for a pack of 25.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

When I quit (nearly 12 months ago) I was paying $38.50 for a pack of 40 budget brand (so floor sweepings) cigarettes. The same pack, if I went to buy it today would cost $48.50 (aprox £27) ... I am a child of the decimal system so I only do dollars and sense... but it works out to $1.21/smoke.

The prices given for Marlboro were for a pack of 25.

Thanks for clarifying.

I had a feeling your pricing was for a lot more cigarettes than we got here. Your cost is for the equivalent of two of our packs so you don't pay much more than us in reality. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Whispers said:

There has been a bust out here every couple of months, they're bringing them from your state over here . With the prices getting higher and higher the bodega out here sell them, some stores are just fronts for ciggs and drugs. You walk in them cant buy a newspaper and the deli case looks gross. They sell them for 9-10 bucks per pack the out of state ciggs. https://www.silive.com/news/2018/10/6-staten-islanders-busted-in-4m-cigarette-trafficking-ring.html    

Several years ago on a weekend trip to LuRay caverns (a small town with only one cell tower)  I saw a bus pull into a small strip mall right in front of the tobacco shop and everybody headed in straight in.   Don't know where the bus was from but I would wager that it was full of people from out of state.

• Sad 3

21 hours ago, Lilly said:

No amount of pictures or health warnings will deter smokers. After the first time you look at them you stop even noticing them. 

Nobody I know has ever quit smoking because of the packaging. It's usually pregnancy, health, cost or they just didn't want to do it any longer. 

I'm proud I've quit smoking but I still believe it should be a choice. 

I agree that pictures and words alone won't by itself convince someone to quit but, it's all part of making the choice to smoke more uncomfortable and the repetition of those images does have some effect on the smoker, whether one wants to admit it or not. Also, friends and family see the images and ask the smoker uncomfortable questions about their "habit". Chipping away at the smokers belief that THEY are the special one that won't get cancer or die minus a couple of limbs or die of a stroke or hear attack is what these negative smoking messages are all about. It's like a leaky tap - drip, drip, drip. Pretty soon, you can't ignore it. Smokers always have a choice to smoke if the want to. No one is taking that away, just making it more and more socially uncomfortable to continue to make that choice.

And yes Jo, that's what smokers are complaining about here. Smokers interviewed on the news were all up-in-arms that the government was going to make them smoke ink printed on the cigarette tubes. Now THAT would be unhealthy!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

I agree that pictures and words alone won't by itself convince someone to quit but, it's all part of making the choice to smoke more uncomfortable and the repetition of those images does have some effect on the smoker, whether one wants to admit it or not. Also, friends and family see the images and ask the smoker uncomfortable questions about their "habit". Chipping away at the smokers belief that THEY are the special one that won't get cancer or die minus a couple of limbs or die of a stroke or hear attack is what these negative smoking messages are all about. It's like a leaky tap - drip, drip, drip. Pretty soon, you can't ignore it. Smokers always have a choice to smoke if the want to. No one is taking that away, just making it more and more socially uncomfortable to continue to make take choice.

And yes Jo, that's what smokers are complaining about here. Smokers interviewed on the news were all up-in-arms that the government was going to make them smoke ink printed on the cigarette tubes. Now THAT would be unhealthy!

In this country smoking is still very common place. You see smokers literally everywhere. You would want to bring a mask if you came over here ?

• Sad 3

20 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Smokers interviewed on the news were all up-in-arms that the government was going to make them smoke ink printed on the cigarette tubes. Now THAT would be unhealthy!

I remember when they changed to the "fire safe" cigarettes and everyone was crazy about what chemicals they were using to do it? 

I like the idea of printing warnings on each individual one; raise the price of them and they can't just throw it away like they can graphic packaging.

I'm seriously militant anti-smoking since I quit so I'm even all for taking them out of stores completely and smokers have to go to a separate place to get them. Stinky butt suckers.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Don't your smokes already have the brand name on the tube... ours do... it used to be a joke, can you smoke in one long drag until it saya "brand name"....and drunk morons would do it and you would then say.. But I didn't hear it.... stupid drunk teen shit... anyway.... they already have the brand printed on the smoke, whats the difference if they have a warning...sheesh.

• Like 3