Expect the unexpected triggers

Baseball Coach

Triggers can come out of nowhere, and in order to understand them and beat them down, you have to expect them, or recognize them for what they are - just a habit that you need to break.  Here's an interesting example.  I was over six months into one of my previous quits, working on a baseball diamond preparing it for our Opening Day games.  A friend of mine was running a Bobcat loader moving some dirt onto an infield - something we do every year.  He brings it to the diamond with the loader, I spread it out on the infield with the field groomer.  In previous years, anytime he would leave to go get more dirt, I'd reach for a smoke.  He turned and left, and I reached for Salem Lights.  Except this last time, I didn't have any because I hadn't smoked in months!  But the trigger was there, and I fell for it for a second or two and reached for the pack without even thinking about it, recognized what it was and had a good laugh, happy that I was still smoke free.  Like I said, a trigger out of nowhere...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Our bodies have memories, conditioned responses to feelings or situations and addiction makes full use of this.

It takes a while to change all this up. 

You are right @Baseball Coach, "they are just a habit that you need to break' ...just a habit that you CAN break.

Congratulations on your quit, Coach, good to see you around.

• Like 5

Thanks @Baseball Coach for bringing this up. I trained myself  in recognizing them, in the beginning of my quit. I am now at a point where it really annoys me to take time to examine triggers  (most of the time they are just that.. not even craves). This reminds me how important it is to see them every time for what they are: patterns. 

Changing seasons, for instance. Brings up different thoughts/moods etc. Tempting time to lay back and dwell in self pity, because of aaaaallllll the triggers 'that are still here'. While its got probably everything to do with unconciously remembering what I did as a smoker at this time of the year. 

• Like 3

The good news is: years of conditioning ourselves with cigarettes can be eliminated in one-year of reconditioning our bodies and minds.  The changing of seasons, special occasions, etc. can trigger smoking thoughts.  It can feel a little awkward, maybe even a bit uncomfortable, but with a bit of resolve the new ways begin to feel normal.

It gets easier with time and eventually becomes a mere afterthought.

• Like 3

Once a person has reached their first year anniversary, they have experienced most of their triggers.

That is why the first year anniversary is so important - this amount of time covers most situations in which the triggers can occur.

The longer you stay quit, the more time you have to experience these triggers, and just say no to them.

Eventually, almost all of them will disappear forever.

When you do experience a trigger, always keep this in mind: "A TRIGGER (or any CRAVE) IS NEVER A COMMAND".

Recognize a trigger for what it is - the weak ghost of a sleeping drug addiction - and just ignore it.

It will disappear, and then probably never return again, and that means you just gained some more freedom.

Cristóbal

Edited by Cristóbal
  • Like 5

Wow, uncanny how  I've been thinking along similar lines. 

How I was wondering about so many instances where, whether happy or sad, stressed or excited, my response would be to have a smoke.

And though there's been no trigger as such, I'm quite wary of one popping up suddenly. This is an interesting read because it reminds me how I still can be tricked by my mind and "constant vigilance" (Potter fans would recognize this phrase) is the only way forward.

• Like 5