Day 1 again!!!

Lilly

Lily, what helped me with this quit was that  smoking would not solve the issue. It will not cure my headache, it will not pay debts, it will not amend relationship. Yes, for years we had a habit to smoke when things weren’t right, but they didn’t become right with smoking. I feel for you and hope you’re healthy, but smoking is not the way. 

• Like 8

I'm sorry to hear about your relapse, Lilly.  Be careful with alcohol in the early days and weeks of a quit.

Smoking does not help anything.  It is all a lie.  You are much better off without cigarettes.  I hope you get back to your quit soon.  Yes, it is tough, but a smoke-free life is worth the early struggles and life as a smoker will only get worse and worse.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the messages. 

Just wanted to let you all know I do have a mass in my mouth but it certainly doesn't appear cancerous. She felt my neck and said my lymph nodes are fine whatever that means. 

Just didn't want anyone worrying. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

That's the best news the doc could give. You must be so relieved, Lilly!

I have something for you. It's a message from someone you know very well.

'I have been dabbling with quitting since the nineties. My quits varied in length ie 10 minutes, 10 hours and now and again weeks. I threw the towel in on every quit I had because I just wasn't willing to endure a bit of discomfort. It was much easier to go and buy a packet of cigarettes than it was to feel "out of sorts."

I would provoke arguments at home so I could blame the other person for driving me back to smoking. I would get a flat tyre and be dancing at the roadside because nobody would expect me to keep my quit under such trying circumstances. I wanted to be a non smoker but at the same time I just couldn't let go.

If you find yourself in the same position then join the forum and ask for help. Reaching out to people who have already quit could be the missing piece of the jigsaw for you like it was for me. I did it a couple of days ago and am so grateful to everyone who took the time to encourage and share their hints, tips and recipes for success. 

I found out today that when I smoked a cigarette I kind of did it on auto pilot.  I would think of a cigarette, light it, smoke it and put it out. Today I really concentrated on each cigarette and realised they don't taste great at all and I didn't enjoy any of them. The realisation that I actually was just an addict getting their fix was a bit of a revelation. I always disputed that theory and was adamant I loved smoking but now I know I was blinded by my addiction. 

Read this site as much as you can because it really is a treasure chest of information. Set a quit date and stock up on plenty of quit food. You will get so caught up in the excitement of quitting here you will be desperate to start your own quit. As they say here you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.'

You wrote this a while ago. I wonder, what will be your next step? 

I would like to give you faith and courage, but I can't. Yet, I am convinced you have it in you,  as we all do! 

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 7

Well we were worrying Lilly and I am so glad you let us know.  Please know you will have my continued prayers for your health and the ability to quit.  

I know you can do it Lilly.  Let this be the scare that solidifies your quit.

Being uncomfortable for a period of about three weeks is nothing compared to the feeling of not smoking.  I had almost resolved myself to most likely dying of lung cancer.  My self esteem was so low I did not think I cared.  Now I feel like a different person.  

C'mon girl let us do this together.

• Like 7

Thanks everyone. 

I will be back and I will quit. Just need to get my head back in the right place. 

Jane don't stay away. I posted on a quit smoking forum that I was chain smoking. You took your kid gloves off not to kick me but to help me. After all it is a quit smoking site at the end of the day. I just wasn't seeing anything clearly yesterday. I hear you today. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I will Sazerac and sooner rather than later. 

I have been referred to the hospital and they will do a biopsy which apparently they do as standard and not because the doctor was concerned.

I'm going to be fine but if I continue smoking I might not get a second chance.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I'm going to be fine but if I continue smoking I might not get a second chance.

This should be your mantra when you start your quit again...because it is the raw truth. 

Continue to read around here and whyquit.com while you find your quit.

@Sazerac bumped this post in the Introductions page 

There is so. much. POWER. in that thread! I realized after I quit that it's the people that want you to keep smoking (smoking friends, your addicted brain, and big tobacco) that say how devestatingly hard it is to quit. Harder than heroin!! 

Lies. Lies. Lies.

Then you come here and it's just...not. 

Keep finding that quit Lilly!!

• Like 5

Lily....you have had  warning...

Look at this at a chance to quit...and stay quit....

I too was given a chance...and I took it....

The whole train is behind you...believe and love yourself ...as much as we do...

No time like the present ....to pledge a NOPE ....

• Like 5

^^^ I agree with Doreen (and others) Lilly! Take the plunge NOW! There's NEVER a perfect time to quit. There will always be sacrifice and unpleasantness involved in the early days no matter when you quit so ..... what are you waiting for. Just make that commitment to yourself NOW! Your "head space" will be thrown out of kilter anyway in the early part of your quit so don't wait for that perfect clarity of mind to quit. These are all excuses that your addicted brain is feeding you to prevent you from doing what's best for you. Just quit and we will all be here to support you every minute of the day and night when necessary.. I can tell you for certain, your future happiness depends on the path you choose now. Come on .... why not quit :) 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So glad to hear the doc isn't concerned about it being cancer just wish you hadn't of given up that day you had quit. NOW I have to wait even longer to see that first month charm ?

P.S. I keep bringing up the charm bracelet because I LOVE the idea and wish I had of thought of that lol. Seriously though, you have to be ready to quit in order to succeed so when you're truly ready we will be here :) 

• Like 3

You have been given great news, be thankful and quit today, you never know if continued smoking may cause something to change again!,!!

Give yourself the best gift and quit today and start collecting those charms.

All the best.

• Like 1

You know too much now, Lilly, to ever be an obedient slave again.

Smoking has been ruined for you and will never be the comfort it once was.

You know too much.

Soon,  you will defeat your addiction.

Why not ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1