still here

Sparkles

So here I am, entering day three. Doing ok, only problem is insomnia, which I know is common. Hadn't been sleeping great as it was, so add quitting smoking to the equation and it's a nightmare. Think I had about three hours last night, and four the night before. It's really getting me down. I'm not drinking more caffeine than usual (i drink decaf anyway) nor am I eating loads of sugar. I know it will pass eventually but with everything else going on I need my sleep. Am even debating going to see my doctor . 

Anyway, just wanted to have a good moan and feel sorry for myself.

xxx

• Like 5

I got sleeping tablets from my Doctor to help me with that... it really only lasted the first few weeks... I know some people advocate taking the night time cold and flu tablets you can get from the chemist. Only do this if you know you can take them and they wont affect any other medication you might have.

Day 3 is great Pumpkin... well its not its kinda cruddy... but the fact you are still smoke free, that is great. You are getting through the tough part now.

• Like 2

Congratulations on moving to day 3 Pumpkin. Two valuable days in the bag already. The insomnia of the very early stages of quitting is a pain if you experience it. In common with others though around the 2 week mark I started to get the best sleeps I'd had in years. 

I was going to suggest cutting down on caffeine as the received wisdom is that you need to half consumption early in a quit, but starting from zero you really have nowhere else to go on that front. 

Don't be afraid to ask the doctor for help, I'm certain it won't be the first time they have been asked for assistance in this. 

You are doing great, celebrate and keep it going. 

• Like 3

Sorry to hear you're having sleep issues. That really does wear thin pretty quickly. Hope you find a solution to it soon and get some much needed rest. Some of the quit symptoms we have to go through in the early days are certainly annoying but in the end, well worth it considering the benefits you will gain. Freedom from this addiction does not come easily but it is there for all who are strong enough to pay their dues. Fight on Pumpkin! You'll get there :) 

• Like 2

Thank you all.  Its nice to have you all here.  I'm sitting here at my PC trying to translate this document (about a campsite!) and my eyes are just wanting to close.  I also keep getting a bit lightheaded.  I also remember this from the last time.

I have always been anti-nap in the daytime, but am thinking it might be good for me today.  Then again, maybe I should tough it out.  Stupid thing is I am tired when I go to bed, then as soon as the light goes out, my legs get restless and then I can't sleep, so then I get anxious, then I cry, and then I just get more and more frustrated.

Aaaaghhh!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Good to know your still here!  And... moan all you want. :)

I had sleep issues as well. It lasted for about 2,5 weeks (but starting after the first week, where I actually slept like a beast). I really hope you'll find something that works for you, to help you through this period. Take care! 

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 1

Oh, the sleep! How I missed it! I couldn't force it and standard OTC pills made me...weird: sick, brain fog, worse than quitting did. I just rode it out and would take a couple of 2hr naps at night if that's what it took.

You will find your groove Pumpkin! ETQ!

• Like 1

Hello Pumpkin,

Sleep when you are tired, rest when you are tired even if you cannot sleep.

Do some meditation, actually do a lot of meditation.

Try to relax yourself.  No screens, darkened room, get as comfortable as you can and breathe slow and deep, slower and deeper.

This will help your tissues repair even if you don't sleep.

Congratulations on your quit.

Three days is spectacular and you never have to go through this ever again.

Stay close to the board and NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

• Like 1