Bad dreams about smoking?

Ferdinand

I used to feel like having a smoke whenever I was bored or tired of doing repetitive tasks. I have dreams in which that happens sometimes; I take a couple of puffs and realize what a shit thing I've done and put it out and wake up feeling horrible.

Anyone had any similar dreams? Anything I should be worried about or educate myself about?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

What helped me, was knowing that feeling awfull with these dreams doesn't mean that I am close(er) to smoking or should be anymore on guard than I already am,  but that I definitely made the right decision and don't want to go back and jeopardize my quit. 

Apparantly the actual taste of a cigarette in such a dream can be real, bc your lungs are cleaning up tar. I'm not sure though for how long thats the case. 

In any way these dreams can be pretty gruesome, huh?   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hey @albert smoke dreams are pretty common. Lost of us have had them and they tend to be very realistic and lucid. I know when I have woken up I have been convinced I have just blown my quit and get upset with myself for being stupid.  I don't know if its right or not but I tend to look at it as at least that was a smoke thought or crave I didn't have to deal with while awake.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @MLMR, that was reassuring stuff. And the dreams are pretty gruesome! But the fact that it feels so bad does mean that we're mentally on the right track even when we're unconscious! :)

Hey @notsmokinjo. They are extremely lucid! That's what makes it so scary!

1 hour ago, notsmokinjo said:

I don't know if its right or not but I tend to look at it as at least that was a smoke thought or crave I didn't have to deal with while awake.

Yeah that's a good point! Luckily it doesn't feel good one bit!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, albert said:

Luckily it doesn't feel good one bit!

At the time I hate the feeling of guilt and shame.... but then just like you I do a little woohoo and internal happy dance because it didn't feel good and it re-enforces the fact I don't want to smoke because if I do it will feel like crud. Maybe its our subconscious' way of making sure we don't get complacent... by reminding us how shitty we will feel if we are stupid enough to throw away our quits.

So... does anyone else get the weird quit smoking dreams about people on the QT??? Or is that just me. I know at least one other who has had at least one. But I dream things about people on here (who I have never met, so how I know its you don't ask me) but they are seriously weird... like third trimester weird.... I had one were someone here was a wheelchair bound ax wielding midget who was chasing me through a maze going to chop me up and they had already chopped other people up because I could see all their body parts nailed to the walls of the maze with cigarettes... Or there was the time another member here had everyone over to their place for a barbie and they had another member here on a spit roast for us to eat and noone else thought it was weird at all and everyone was really angry with me that I wouldn't eat the member who was spit roasted over the fire where the fire was made of all our not smoked ciggies.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Makes sense to me that if these dreams are upsetting you, it's a good thing in a way. You are obviously very committed and focused on your quit or else instead of upsetting you, these dreams would be pleasing to you. That's gotta be a good thing - right? It's too bad you're having them but I think it's a good sign about the strength of your quit.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, reciprocity said:

I think it's a good sign about the strength of your quit

I think so too! Receptors have to wait for the subconscious to attack.

Take a minute to really enjoy your quit today Albert! You are working hard for it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1