Wednesday 10th October 2018

Whispers

Good morning fellow NOPErs... today is another mixed bag of shout outs... some worthy and some not so... todays honorable mentions got to Take Your Teddy To Work/School Day... why? because why bloody not, you all still have at least one, go on admit it... then there is Hug A Drummer Day, just a tip.. do it before the gig cos drummers sweat way more than the rest of the band..... then especially for our Wees, that's right @Wee fluffy me & @WeegieWoman its World Porridge Day... guess what I had for breaky?? with some stewed apples and cinnamon cos I was feelin a bit posh.... and while all three of those were worthy contenders today's spotlight shall be shone on World Mental Health Day.... Mental health problems, ranging from issues like depression and anxiety disorders to conditions like schizophrenia, affect millions of people around the world. In fact, according to current statistics, 1 in 4 people will experience some kind of mental health problem during their lifetime and many more will see friends of family members affected... so lets look at depression and anxiety... they are pretty common among smokers... especially anxiety... and did you know most smokers who have anxiety think that smoking helps control it .... sorry to burst your nicotine deception bubble but anxiety is not helped by smoking... it is actually made worse by smoking... nicotine receptors use anxiety to control you to feed the addiction, you are going to be more anxious as a smoke than as a non-smoker... yeah the early stages of a quit can see an increase in your anxiety because your mind is crying out for a hit of nicotine and well it has used anxiety and had it work in the past... but it eases up, it really truly does. Another tip for those thinking of quitting... if you do take medication for your mental health, pop in and see you doctor before you quit... the changes to you body when you quit may mean your dosage might need a tweak. Giving up smoking didn't cure my anxiety but they did improve it... much better now than it used to be. So give it a thought, mental health issues are not a reason to prevent you from having a successful quit.

nope-teddy-bear.jpg

NOPE ... not worth the angst.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

image.thumb.png.c7ccdc37df71873d65140b5930ec194d.png

Yesterday NY Islanders Goalie Robin Lehner made his Islanders debut, they mentioned he had a mental illness and i was taken back by the story.. Happy to see people get the help they need and when you get results you can finally live a normal life. A very good story and i'm pulling for the man not just because he plays for my team. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2018/10/08/islanders-robin-lehner-shutout-sharks-panic-attack-rehab/1571294002/

"I wanted to kill myself. I was extremely close multiple times," Lehner wrote. "The battle of playing hockey was nothing compared to the battle inside my brain."  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Nope :)

@notsmokinjo thanks so much for adressing that. Maybe taking it a step further even: mental health issues may be 'useful' in quitting, knowing what it is to be in the dark and how to stay strong when the world seems so alien, knowing when reaching out is crucial. 

PQh01joFJlU6A.gif

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2