Update

time4change

Well spent time watching videos most of day. Running on empty with just 4 hours of sleep. Very anxious on top of being so over tired. Going to go out in a few days and get a notebook and start making some lists of progress, benefits of quitting and yes things I can buy with all the money I am saving. Having a heck of a time just trying to type this. Never had to correct so many spelling errors. Can't seem to even hit the right keys today. Body screaming for nicotine but doing everything in my power to distract myself. Breathing long deep breaths is helping. Almost to the point of tears but I sm stubborn and refuse to give nicotine that sstisfaction.  Geez another typing mishap. See what I .mean. Best I quit typing now and nust read. Day 2 almost done.  Hope I get some sleep tonight.  

• Like 10

This is what the early days are about, unfortunately but - it is doable and YOU WILL get through it just as we all have :) Your brain has been thrown for a complete loop because you quit your addiction and it's not functioning normally at the moment plus, your addiction is demanding to be fed and can't understand why that's not happening. Fact is though that YOU are now a Non-Smoker so feeding that old addiction is now off the table :) 

Yay YOU :3_grin:

• Like 7

hello time4change,

You are in the gnarly part of your quit and you can do any/everything you want except smoke.

Well, maim and murder is probably off the table too.

But, cry, take screaming showers, go for a walk, go down to the railroad tracks and practice primal screaming as a train rolls by ( I found this very helpful).

You quit smoking and are on a brand new adventure.  REWARD yourself for every crave you beat, I am serious about this. 

It is time to start re-training your brain to understand what rewards are all about. 

The Significance of Rewards.

Post a lot, watch the scary movies, do not listen to junkie thoughts.  You have better things to do. You have a beautiful smoke free life to live.

Keep us updated, if you will.

It tracks your progress, helps newbies see how a successful quit is built and lets us know what posts from the archive we can pull up that might help you.

You are doing GREAT !

You might watch the two short vids here in The Journey

Edited by Sazerac
vid links
  • Like 7

Hi T4C- early days suck.  I wish I could sugar coat it for you-say it isn’t so bad after a certain amount of time or tantrums. I can’t. It sucks. 

As sazerac says: embrace the suck.   

You have to.  There are things to do to make it suck a little less.  Games on this forum. Crossword puzzles.  I went old school and resurrected Solitaire on my computer & devices. Mind numbing distraction. 

There are a bunch of reasons we all stay quit. Health. Money.  Smell. Stigma. Time.  A handful of us are motivated by remembering how much it sucked in the early days- and never ever wanting to go through it again (raises hand & waves ?)...

Minutes turn into hours—> to days—> to weeks—> to months —> to years. 

KTQ 

yep to NOPE

• Like 7

Just look around this place and see all the people who have endured exactly what you are facing at this moment. We are many and we want YOU to join us. It's totally doable but you must do the heavy lifting to make it happen - just as we all did for ourselves. Everyone is the same when it comes to this quitting thing. No short-cuts and there are no special flowers who get to skip the hard parts. Once you are through it, it will seem like a small price to pay for what you have gained :)  

• Like 5

You came to the right place. The people on this forum have all been there and are very supportive. Getting over the physical addiction last a few days and is hard but the real struggle, I believe, is mental. The urge to smoke presents as an "idea" more than a physical necessity. But the brain might be governed by physical mechanisms. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is I know it is hard but be careful when it gets easy. Unfortunately, a relapse can happen at any time. 

• Like 8

I learned not to force sleep or I would lie there for hours making myself crazy!

Sometimes, I would just wait it out and catch two 2 hour naps on the couch at night.

I promise there is light on the other side...just keep telling yourself that you're doing good and that you are a non-smoker!!

Keep the rewards flowing, remember to take regular breaks, snack to keep blood sugar normal. 

It doesn't feel like it now, but this really is the best thing you can do for yourself and the people that love you. We have your back T4C!!

• Like 7

Thanks for all your wise words. Forgot about drinking water for gosh sakes. Was so thirsty and had a nice big glass of ice water and boy did it do the trick. It tasted so refreshing and got me through a crave. Not thinking so clearly today. Many moments of anxiety still occurring today but managed to work my way through them. Hanging in there.  Maybe by a thread at times but not going to let 2 days of hard fighting slip through my fingers. 2 days. So proud that I made 2 whole days. I wish I could respond to each of you as all your responses are much appreciated. Just not real computer literate. But know that each and everyone of you are so important in my quit journey. Give me time and I will figure my way around here. I admire all of you for the great help you give here. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

You are doing great t4c! And yes, you will notice any number of quit symptoms like the "brain fog" and all sorts of other things. The increased anxiety is also something I felt for a while in the early days but just know that all these symptoms are temporary :) You will acclimate to your "new normal" in good time and you will be very happy about what that new normal is :) 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, time4change said:

Well spent time watching videos most of day. Running on empty with just 4 hours of sleep. Very anxious on top of being so over tired. Going to go out in a few days and get a notebook and start making some lists of progress, benefits of quitting and yes things I can buy with all the money I am saving. Having a heck of a time just trying to type this. Never had to correct so many spelling errors. Can't seem to even hit the right keys today. Body screaming for nicotine but doing everything in my power to distract myself. Breathing long deep breaths is helping. Almost to the point of tears but I sm stubborn and refuse to give nicotine that sstisfaction.  Geez another typing mishap. See what I .mean. Best I quit typing now and nust read. Day 2 almost done.  Hope I get some sleep tonight.  

Those early days of the quit are a grind.  The mental fog, obsessive thoughts, restlessness, etc., etc..

However, you will be rewarded many times over for your efforts.  Guaranteed.

The challenges of quitting are temporary.  The rewards of quitting are permanent.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, time4change said:

Thanks for all your wise words. Forgot about drinking water for gosh sakes. Was so thirsty and had a nice big glass of ice water and boy did it do the trick. It tasted so refreshing and got me through a crave. Not thinking so clearly today. Many moments of anxiety still occurring today but managed to work my way through them. Hanging in there.  Maybe by a thread at times but not going to let 2 days of hard fighting slip through my fingers. 2 days. So proud that I made 2 whole days. I wish I could respond to each of you as all your responses are much appreciated. Just not real computer literate. But know that each and everyone of you are so important in my quit journey. Give me time and I will figure my way around here. I admire all of you for the great help you give here. 

Do not worry about computer literacy here...and we don't need you to respond to all of us individually, we are a team, we are your troops.  You are not alone.

Your progress is inspiring, and 2 whole days is a great accomplishment. Reward yourself for every crave you beat.

When you communicate and I hear where you're at, I'm going to leave you links and you can peruse them at your leisure. 

Here is one on The Great Smoke Free Mental Fog

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello T4C, congratulations for completing your first two days.  You are doing just fine!

What helped me through that first week was writing, reading, sleeping A LOT. I also had anxiety. I had (still do, sometimes) the mantra: 'Quitting doesnt kill me. Smoking does. I chose life.' I read that on the board and adopted it. ?

Take care and just do it by the hour if that's what it takes for now. 

• Like 4

T4C, first three days are hard. Thoughts race, body screams, everything is different and out of place. But it passes. It might seem unbearable at the moment but it passes and you’ll start seeing benefits of not smoking very soon, and discover you’re stronger and more awesome than you’d thought! We are here for you! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, time4change said:

So proud that I made 2 whole days.

And rightly so! Two days is a fantastic accomplishment. Carry that through to the third. We'll done t4c. 

• Like 4

Looks like you quit exactly one year after i did.

Stick with it. The early days suck. But you get to a point, for me it was after a solid week, and you realize, "i can do this".

One year flies by. On Oct 6th 2019, we need to keep nosmokingjo on her toes by both of us having yearly markers.

• Like 6