New here

time4change

?Found this site a few weeks ago. I have been reading at whyquit and here also. Been a pack(sometimes more) for 51 years. Never really tried wholeheartedly to quit. Don't know why I chose today but feeling the way I feel I knew it was time. Thought about it alot today and just knew it was now or never. After reading stories here I felt why not just get things started.  Of course the anxiety of quitting is ever present. Why is that?  Why do I feel so sad and down?  Actually had a crying spell. I know this is not the right frame of mind.  I am going to go cold turkey. I am down to my last cigarette and yes no more when I finish this last one. I will be back to make my nope pledge for tomorrow.  Thank you in advance for your help.  I want this so badly. I will not fail. 

• Like 8

Good for you, Time4Change!! Welcome aboard!  Read all you can here and educate yourself about the addiction to nicotine and how to break free of it! It is not easy, I will be honest with you, but it is doable with the right mindset. There are wonderful people here who will help you with their wisdom and humor. ?

• Like 3

Welcome aboard time4change! I also smoked for a long time and quit cold turkey. Rozuki  is on the money about staying close here and reading all you can. It has really helped me through tough times. You can do this. Just one day at a time. Lots of help here when you need it. Best wishes.

• Like 5

Welcome aboard time4chang nice to have you along on this journey.  As has been said coming here and doing the NOPE pledge and educating yourself about this addiction will help greatly.  I found deep breathing techniques and drinking lots of cold water helpful.  This can be done, it will take some effort but it can be done.  Several months ago I was like you, though only with 44 years of smoking, and decided it was just time and I was definitely feeling the bad effects.  I just came here every day and took it one day at a time and learned from these great people here.  You can do this!

• Like 5

Welcome Time2change and congratulations on deciding to take back your life. I was a 35 year smoker so you're in good company with us. No one knows better than us what this quitting thing takes and just as everyone saw me through the tough days, we will be here to see you through :) 

• Like 4

Thank you all for the responses. Took a nice long hot shower which seemed to calm me down some. Ate some chips and when I was finished reached for a cigarette.  Had to remind myself that I no longer smoke.  Working through the crave. Took a tylenol pm to help me get through tonight.  Reading here and watching some videos have helped me so far. Already took my pledge for tomorrow. One day at a time. 

• Like 7

Good morning @time4change

I hope you wake up feeling good and ready to take on your quit day!

There will be alot of pacing and redirecting your thoughts away from smoking, keep your water and snacks handy! 

I'm gonna tell you quitting is as easy (and hard) as not putting another cigarette in your mouth. 

Sending you power today!!

• Like 3

Hello and welcome....

Great decision on taking your life back from this killer addiction...

There is tons of information on the main board ,for you to read through..plus Joel,s videos....they will cover almost everything you need to know..

Take smoking off the table...you can do it...

You just need to want  it bad enough...

Those who stay close ,and post often are more likely to succeed...

• Like 3

Welcome Time4change! Your story sounds very similar to mine when I quit a little over a year ago. I have smoked for decades and never really tried to quit whole heartedly but suddenly one day, I just knew I'd had enough and decided to quit on a whim basically. Well, long story short, I managed to get it done. It was not easy and it does take a 100% commitment to yourself not to smoke even 1 cigarette or not to even take 1 puff, for old times sake. That's the only thing you need to do. Not easy but very doable :) 

Hope to see you back here in the morning :) 

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Time4Change.  You've made a great decision.

21 hours ago, time4change said:

Of course the anxiety of quitting is ever present. Why is that? 

We're addicts who conditioned ourselves for years with cigarettes.  Most, if not all, of us felt some doubt and anxiety early in the process.

Challenges will be faced.  Take 'em as they come and stay true to your commitment.

With each success, confidence grows.  As your confidence grows, the anxiety and doubt fade away.

21 hours ago, time4change said:

I want this so badly. I will not fail. 

Those who want it badly make it happen.  Congratulations, you're well on your way.

• Like 3

Thank you all. Been a heck of a day. Morning was rough but I managed to do some breathing exercises and it helped. Looked at lots of videos at whyquit. Getting close to that one day down.  So many emotions. Geez I can't stand myself today. Fighting hard to get through the craves. Withdrawal truly sucks.  Doing this no matter how hard it gets. Thanks for making me feel so welcome. 

• Like 6

The early days do suck - big time but, the good news is that those days don't last all that long in retrospect and the rewards you give to yourself by quitting last forever so just grit your teeth and power through the early days. You will experience any number of quit symptoms and your addiction will try it's best to lure you back to feeding it but you know what? Your addiction doesn't call the shots - YOU DO!! So, just say NOPE each and every day. A day at a time, that;s how it's done. Those single days add up to a life long quit.

Remember to stay here as much as you can. Partisipation with other quitters seems to really help most people :) 

• Like 3

@time4change So glad you decided to make this wonderful life change.  I smoked for 42 years and tried many times to quit.  I tried hypnosis and a smoking cessation program at the Cleveland Clinic.  This is the only place I have found success.  Accept that the first few days will be tough but they are doable.  Watch videos and read as much as you can on the site.  I promise that the further you get away from the addiction you will feel so much better about yourself.  The people on this forum will be here for you.  It has been a place to open up, be honest and heal from the inside out.  

I found deep breaths, lots of fluid and I did sleep a lot the first couple of days.  Post if you need help.  We are here for you. 

• Like 4

It is as Linda Thomas said  t4c!

Linda is fairly new to this place too and the thing she didn't tell you because she may not even realize it herself yet is that she is strengthening her own quit by caring and giving advise to you about your quit! That's how things work here. It's give and take. We take knowledge and advise from others who have gone before us and we leave those same bread crumbs of knowledge behind us for those newer people following in our footsteps. This is why participation here is a valuable use of your time. It will develop and strengthen your own quit while you help others :) 

• Like 5

Thank you all once again. I take each and every response to heart.  There is so much here to read and learn from. I have closed the book on day one.  It was difficult I must say but am proud I stuck it out.  Reading others quits has been a blessing today.  So inspiring to read how many long time smokers have quit and stayed that way.  So glad I have found all of you. 

• Like 7

We are lucky to have you here too, time4change.

You don't smoke anymore and should celebrate each and every crave or pattern you beat

because you are changing your brain.

The benefits of quitting will show up by and by and astound you. 

Stay close to the board, post often.

I know you are in the gruesome bits right now but, stay your course.  You quit smoking !  How awesome is that !!

This post may be helpful to you 10 Ways to Use This Forum

• Like 4