Why am I craving so bad after almost 7 months??

CAquitter

Im guessing it's the first time that has happened and that's the reason for the trigger. Throw them away like whispers said but first drown them in water. Then give yourself a big pat on the back for being so strong :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 6

Time to get the trying pan out ...

Why would you throw away a fabulous 7 months quit..??????????????????

Flush those cancer sticks down the toilet where they belong....your almost there....

That nico monster is trying to trick you....tell it to go to h**l.....your stronger than that....

NOPE !!!

W5yshKbH5wrwA.gif

• Like 4

Good job fighting through this and definitely throw those cigarettes away.  Flush them down the toilet.

I had a similar experience around my 8 month mark after several easy months in my quit.  I was very frustrated but craves can creep up on you out of nowhere sometimes.  Just remember that the crave will go away and that lighting up a cigarette will just make things a lot worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In your first year, you will be eliminating many triggers. It is critical that you understand that completing the first year, will consist of facing these triggers.

Some you may recognize, others you may not. Some of them can be as subtle as changes of the season (length of day/night, weather, etc.), or others may simply be because of events that happen at certain times of the year.  These may be related to holidays, or other events that we experience in our lives.

Other triggers, you may never recognize exactly why they are happening, but the way to handle all of them is the same:

1. Acknowledge them.

2. Recognize that they are not serious threats to your quit, that they are to be expected. At times they make look 5 meters tall, but in reality they are just a few millimeters tall.

3. Then, give yourself time to wait for them to disappear. If you wait long enough, triggers will disappear. *ALWAYS*.  This is a promise. If they never disappeared, nobody would ever quit smoking successfully.

4. Finally - A crave is *NEVER* a command. Use your intelligence, and remember that triggers are simply reminders of a dying addiction that has no intelligence. Nicotine addiction is primitive. Triggers are primitive. As long as you continue to say "no" to them, they will eventually disappear from your life. It takes time. Be patient, and just keep moving foward.

As long as you do this, you will be on the road to permanent freedom from this garbage. Just look ahead, recognize the garbage for what it is, and do not ever look back. A better life waits for you - this is guaranteed. 

I have never met a ex-smoker, who has regretted quitting smoking.

Cristóbal

• Like 9

Some of us get craves even after an entire year quitting.

Maybe for you the "three month craves" came late?

But yeah, the best thing to do is avoid temptation. I am not going to lie, I think if someone came over and left a pack of smokes, i would likely give in if I were having a bad moment. So yeah, destroy the cigs is best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had some belligerent craves around my first year anniversary.

They were strangely powerful.

They were also the last I have had in almost five years.

You are stronger than any crave.  Appreciate how far you have come.

Reward yourself for beating out the last smokey thoughts.

You don't smoke anymore and I know, for sure, you don't want to go through the last seven months again. 

Stay vigilant and committed to NOPE.  You will not fail.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1

These things do happen to some after long periods of having otherwise well established quits. Hard to say why exactly but likely a combination of things. Different situation you haven't had to deal with since quitting (unexpectedly finding some smokes) and possibly other issues going on in your head around the same time? Small things that on their own aren't a threat can sometimes combine at the same time to give us an emotionally challenging situation. The other thing is you have probably not had to fight off strong cravings in awhile so when they come out of nowhere unexpectedly, it can really throw us for a loop. Good for getting by that and looking forward, I'll bet you don;t experience that sort of situation very often again. Remember, every situation we face successfully strengthens out quit and weakens the grip our addiction has on us :) 

• Like 2