Holy crap

Parsley

Hello Parsley,

You most likely are in a situation that has triggered you to smoke. It may or may not be identifiable, but wait 15 minutes and it should pass.

Also, eat something sweet! That always helps a lot, you may be having low blood sugar at this moment.

And stay on the board, I will stay here until the craves passes.

• Like 4

Coming here is one of the best things to do (good job on that) and post here often if needed.  Take some deep breaths and drink some cold water -- always helped me.  You can do this and you are doing this!

• Like 1

Walk. And then walk more. Beautiful weather here. How about where you are at? Cravings generally pass in a few minutes, and also the first few weeks of withdrawal from nicotine will be tricky physically. It really is withdrawal. Dehydration can be a lot of it, and blood sugar spikes. Water and cranberry juice can help. Find a new hobby. I joined the gym and started using some of the equipment, finally. Lol.

This will pass.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aine said:

Walk. And then walk more. Beautiful weather here. How about where you are at? Cravings generally pass in a few minutes, and also the first few weeks of withdrawal from nicotine will be tricky physically. It really is withdrawal. Dehydration can be a lot of it, and blood sugar spikes. Water and cranberry juice can help. Find a new hobby. I joined the gym and started using some of the equipment, finally. Lol.

This will pass.

I agree, walking is a healthy way to beat the cravings

• Like 1

Stealing another a minute real quick while I'm at work. What I did was stop the truck and get out and walk what I wanted to do was go to the gas station and buy cigarettes before I went back to work sure I was only going to have one ? I took my phone with me on my little walk and read till I barely had time to get back to work. So posting my SOS getting out of the truck and walking and reading your responses saved me! Thank you all so much! And yes the weather here is beautiful today but I think I would have walked if it had been storming

• Like 6

Finally home from work...this week so far has been a bear..no idea what came over me today. Was even a short lunch break, had virtually no time to spare and then out of no where..MUST HAVE A SMOKE...IF I HURRY I CAN GO BUY SOME AND SMOKE JUST ONE!

What...the...hell...!?  I was flipping out, i can, i wont. I will....aaarghh! 

Then I SOS'ed at a stop sign..pulled over and got out...to stop myself from from going to gas station, read posts.....and well here i am SMOKE FREE!

THANK YOU!!!!!

• Like 7

True!  I do not want to!  I know it would be nasty, no thoughts of how it would be good, probably would get faint and puke. So don't know what the deal even was....left me drained...

Earlier on in this quit I did want to smoke, I truly did....but didn't...unsure of the pull today..

• Like 3

What you experienced today is not unusual Parsley. You are 5 weeks or so into the quit and things have been getting easier to manage because you've battled through the constant craving of those very early days and weakened your addiction's strength. Now, you have a lot more "positive days" but your addiction is mad as hell that you aren't feeding it any longer and it will try to bush-whack you hard from time to time over the coming days and even weeks. Not often like in early days but it will challenge your quit commitment when you least expect it. That's how this addiction works. You have to outsmart it. As Jane said - remain always vigilant! Very important during the first few months in particular.

Great job though today in meeting the challenge that your addiction threw at you! That's the way to do it. That's the way to craft a lifetime quit :) 

• Like 4

Awesome.  Remember, after almost 6 weeks, you no longer have a physical addition, now it's all mental.  There is no nicotine in your body, but your brain wants you to smoke because it thinks you will get the same satisfaction that you used to before you quit.  Guess what?  You won't.  It will suck!  All you will have is regret from throwing away the time you have already done and you are magically back at square 0.  It's not worth it.  Get mad:  at the tobacco companies, at your brain, whatever it takes.  Just don't do it.  Be determined because you will have nothing except regret, regret, regret.  You THINK you will get that Ahhhhhhh feeling, but you won't.  Ask me how I know.  I quit several times, once for 12 years, and went back.  Never again....

On Friends, Chandler took a drag of a cigarette and said, "Oh my God."  And he was hooked again.  Just that easy....  But... it doesn't happen like that.  You will say, "Yuk, this doesn't feel like it used to, as a matter of fact, it sucks, and I just blew lots of time and effort because I just re-introduced nicotine into my body."  Crap, now I have to fight the physical addition all over again.

Keep it going, and it gets easier.  After 2 years, there are still times I think about smoking, but they are few and far between, and when I do think about it, I know it will never be the same, so why start?

Edited by Baseball Coach
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That's good to hear Parsley :) Yesterday was a large bump in the road for you. Those bumps will become smaller and less frequent the further down the road you go. Keep at it Parsley. You're getting closer and closer to your goal each day!