Decision Made

DragonsFancy

Welcome DF! You've made a great choice in quitting. Please hand around here and read as much as you can during the early days and watch some of Joel's videos about smoking (there's a whole separate page for those). Education about the addiction and how it works will be key to your quitting and staying quit. Keep that list hand so you can look at it whenever the craving to smoke threatens to push you backwards. Keep your goal fresh in mind always and be strong in your commitment - say NOPE every day in the NOPE thread (Not One Puff Ever)! See you around :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Deanna.  I quit on a whim too and will soon be 3 years smoke free.  You can do it. 

P.S.  Click on the "Ticker" tab at the top of the page to create your own.  If money is the primary reason you're quitting, the ticker gives you up to the minute tracking of the $ you are saving.

• Like 4

YAY You, Deanna !

Congratulations on making one of the best decisions of your life.

You may find the post helpful,

Ten Ways To Effectively Use This Forum.

Dosh was a major motivator in my quit.

I put aside the cost of a pack a day and kept it in a mason jar.

It was amazing how much money accumulated and Fast !

To think we paid to poison ourselves is beyond comprehension

until you understand addiction, then it makes you furious.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great job on starting your quit.  Remember to come here often to educate yourself, reach out to others,and to do the daily NOPE pledge (it really does help).  If you have any questions or just want to talk things through coming here will be truly helpful.  

• Like 3

"Dosh was a major motivator in my quit.

I put aside the cost of a pack a day and kept it in a mason jar.

It was amazing how much money accumulated and Fast !

To think we paid to poison ourselves is beyond comprehension

until you understand addiction, then it makes you furious."

@Sazerac, That is simple and brilliant at the same time!  And I wasn't smart enough to think of it on my own. ?  That's a nice way (besides the ticker) to keep track of how much of a "pay raise" we give ourselves once we stop paying for poison.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard, Deanna.  Congrats on deciding to quit smoking.  It is one of the best things you can possibly do and you will be happy you did it.

It is nice to have you here.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, TobacNO said:

until you understand addiction, then it makes you furious."

^^^ This is very important - education about the addiction! It opens your mind up to see this addiction for what it really is. Then, it's easier to quit and stay quit once you understand it does nothing positive for you. Robs your health, your wallet and turns you into a slave. The addiction needs you to feed it ..... constantly!

• Like 4

Welcome aboard DragonsFancy. Great advice from good people here. Stick close and read. You can do this and the key for me after 30 plus years was just wanting it bad enough and being fed up with all the bs that goes with smoking. Hope to see ya around and stay strong and best wishes!

• Like 4

Welcome DragonsFancy! Congratulations on taking your life back from nicotine addiction! I will echo (echo echo) read (read read) about nicotine addiction. It helps put your quit into perspective and you will learn that your quit (this quit) can be just as easy as never putting another cigarette in your mouth.

• Like 3

Yes, you are still with us and that's a great thing :) 

Those first weeks are tough and require constant vigilance and a lot of adjustment in terms of how you go about your daily routine. But, it's an adjustment that is well worth the effort! Being smoke-free, healthier and richer in your wallet is all good; not to mention that you no longer have to feed that horrible addiction every hour or so. You don't have to do that any longer because you are smoke-free :) 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...