I never really gained weight.

JB 883

My body weight has held pretty steady most of my adult life, unless I make a serious effort to drop some.

But yeah, before, during, and after my smoking years, my weight was never affected.

Last year when i dropped the habit, i was expecting to become a fatso or at least end up gaining 20 pounds but that never happened.

It was weird too because a few weeks after quitting, I was obsessed with food. That didn't really last though.

So was the whole, "you will gain weight" just another lie told by the medical field so they could sell products to help you quit?

Kind of like how they say it is harder to quit nicotine than it is crack, heroin, meth, qualudes, sniffing glue, and alcohol combined. WTF ever.

I ain't trying to boast but after a year without smoking, I think MOST of whatever noticeable changes happen have already came.

But yeah, neither getting fat nor freaking out like a crack addict ever happened.

normal?

Edited by Jet Black
  • Like 7

There are many symptoms related to quitting smoking and not everyone experiences all of them although we all experience some. It matters not which one's we experience individually providing we deal with them and not go back to smoking because of them. Learning to focus on the positive benefits that come our way rather than on the negative symptoms is important as it makes the quitting process less difficult. As we all know, quit symptoms are only temporary. Benefits from quitting are permanent :) 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Well the commitment was kept.... jury is still out on the sanity ?

No joke, im an actual umbalanced individual whose kept alive by anti-psychotics and coffee. And takes his frustation on silly nicknames on the interweb. Penis.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

First quit i gained 25 lbs as i replaced smoking with eating, fst fwrd thru the failed quits my last quit i lost weight as i replaced smoking with cardio/ walking. One thing that caught my eye while watching my mother very sick is that you don't see many overweight people last long especially the ex -smokers in assisted living/nursing homes  in their 70's, i saw them in late 40's and in their 50/60's. That was my motivation for being in good shape, i wasn't going to swap one for the other but do what you need to in order to quit smoking and work on the other things. For a lot of people weight is a big issue and food being so good is the reason, or at least one of them

• Like 5

I was absolutely obsessed with food, Especially candy the first few days and I thought it was going to become as big of a problem as smoking. For some reason though on day 10 the infatuation with food just went away.

On day 12 I forgot to put a nicotine patch on and didn't have any bigger cravings than normal so I haven't put one on since.

I have no idea if this is normal or not but I hope this trend continues.

• Like 8

Not much weight gaining here. I replaced breakfast and lunch with smoothies and vegetables three weeks prior to my quit, so that I already got used to the healthy stuff. Gradually evening tea turned back in to whisky though and I eat pies now to celebrate. And I kept doingy daily walks so I guess that evens out. BUT! I felt bloathed the first week and I think that fuelled my fear of becoming an overweight rhino. I think it was a combination of adjusting digestion and a vegetable overkill, which made me... well, let's say, the Queen of floating (in fresh water! )

Edited by My life, my recovery
  • Like 3

During my last quit i gained about 50 pounds because i basically replaced smoking with eating...and a lot of fatty foods. Now, i am conscience of this. Eating better and exercising.

Overall, last time was so hard for me, I probably used food to make me happy bc i was so miserable not smoking (STUPID!!). I am happy to say this time around has been 80% better for me. I say everyone is different in all aspects of quitting, weight gain also.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TobacNO said:

I was absolutely obsessed with food, Especially candy the first few days and I thought it was going to become as big of a problem as smoking. For some reason though on day 10 the infatuation with food just went away.

On day 12 I forgot to put a nicotine patch on and didn't have any bigger cravings than normal so I haven't put one on since.

I have no idea if this is normal or not but I hope this trend continues.

TobacNO - nothing and yet everything is normal when you're quitting ; if you get what I'm saying? It's uncharted territory for all of us when we first quit and our bodies and minds react in different ways I guess. It's more a matter of how you react to those changes that will dictate whether it's going to be a problem for you and for how long. Eventually, everything returns to normal except, we are no longer killing ourselves by inhaling poison every day :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well JB I wish I could say the same, however I gained about 20 pounds.  It has only been recently that the hunger/food cravings have eased up and I am no longer gaining (even lost a couple of pounds).  I did bring this up with my doctor after the first two months when the weight gained showed, she stated no to worry about but to only focus on the quitting.  My doctor felt that weight loss would come in time since I had lost about 70 pounds in the couple of years prior to quitting so she felt I could loose the extra weigh when the quit was well into time.  Anyway quitting was more important and my walking has increased.

• Like 4

I gained 50 lbs. in the first 9 months after I quit.  Can I blame that on quitting?  No - I gave myself free reign to eat anything and any amount to alleviate the "suffering".  The important thing though, is I recognized it was not sustainable.  I changed my lifestyle (nutrition and exercise) and believe I'm in better shape than ever.  Some people gain weight, some don't.  Some have constant cravings, others have none.

The main thing to remember is that quitting is the single most important thing you can do to improve your health.  Do not use weight gain (or any other excuse) to dump your quit.  You can deal with that other stuff later.  As a matter of fact, many of the negative symptoms you experience in the early part of your quit (insomnia, coughing, irritability) just disappear naturally.   

• Like 6

Well, I gained weight and lots of it.  To be fair my diet was not the best anyway and when I quit I definitely ate more.  Like anything results vary.  If it helps I can share my diet plan with you.   It comes with a weight gain guarantee!

• Haha 6

I have always been pretty much average all my life in terms of weight. Not skinny, not fat. About 3 years ago I lost about 20 lbs (still don't know why, I just starting losing)...and I admit, I kind of liked being "skinny". I went down to a size 4 in jeans!!! Oh, my haven't been that size since HS!!

Since my quit in 2017 came about due to my health issues, I went into a tailspin!! Gained about 50 lbs....felt like a beached whale, nothing fit me and buying new clothes was depressing. The weight gain wasn't all about food...all the meds I now had to take have weight gain as side effect and because I couldn't be as active due to pain from surgery....well, the weight just piled on while I laid around like a slug or a hibernating hamster!!!

szk5uqq1zozy.gif

Happy to say that finally I have turned the corner! Pain has retreated and I am able to be more active....I was finally able to get back to power walking (dropped 22 of those extra 50 lbs). Just started my cardio rehab this week and hope to lose more and get ripped!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Ok.... so between month 2 and 4 of being quit I lost over 40kg... not that I didn't have it to loose but I lost a person in 2 months.. and that my friends along with some funny heart events was how they found out my thyroid (and therefore me heart too) was on the fritz...... so what I am saying is some of us gain weight, some of us loose weight and some of us stay the same..... but if it is an extreme amount (either way).... go to the doctor and get checked.... downside is that like Roz all the lovely new meds they have me on have my weight up and down like a yoyo.... some months I gain.... some months I loose... I'm just keeping 2 wardrobes and will sort it out when I am better... the wierd thing is I don't eat that bad... especially now I have reduced iodine in my diet.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 6

Undertakers couldn't give a flying fig what you weigh ,when cigarettes have killed you....

Quitting is a journey....get to grips with your quit ....then when the time is right...worry about the few pounds ,if any you gained along the way...

One day at a time...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1