Escape the Vape

Ok, so yesterday we were in this vaping store, because 'it's always nice to try different liquids'. Sure. I came along. I was shocked by all the flashy, shiny bottles and the marketing around it. The owner of the store was vaping as if his life was at stake and when I told him I quit smoking cigarettes, he was almost offended that I had not started vaping. I didn't feel like discussing the addiction subject at all. I was a bit sad when we left the store. There's something miserable in seeing grown men sucking on an electronical device and being all enthusiastic about flavours, voltage and everything. ?

But ok, who am I to say. Ahum. Have been Puffing Burning Sticks for years after all. 

We seem te be finding our way in 'live and let live', concidering this subject. He tries to do it as much as possible  outside of my view and I must admit that he seems to be more aware about it since I quit. But ... I can't stand the sizzeling, burning  sound of that thing, the way it looks. With cigarettes there was at least a start and an ending, but this device is just always at hand and somehow ever present. It's like an extension of the man's arm ffs! Ok who am I kidding ... I really hate this thing. ? And the supposed ok-ness of it. It's the same bloody marketing as it was back then with cigarettes, making it look cool and  everything. I don't even want to think about the risks that might be discovered within 15-20 years from now.. but apart from all that, it's about altering brain chemistry and pretending it's fine. Just can't get my head around it. 

Wow, had to get that off my chest! Please, if you have any, share your experiences about this vaping horror.  ?

(or a smoking partner, for that matter). I am curious how you people deal with it. 

Edited by My life, my recovery
  • Like 5

If an adult chooses to vape that's their own decision.  It's another story knowing that the vaping manufacturers are targeting children with bubblegum, cotton candy, and Pebbles Donuts-flavored e-juice.  A whole new generation of nicotine addicts is being created. :44_frowning2:

Edited by BKP
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

BKP nailed it for me too. It's the kids I'm worried about.

My dad is a "vaper" -he even has like a basket(caddy) to carry all his stuff from room to room...because that is important??. Anyway, it's whatever, he's a grown ass retired man. But, my kids see the stuff. The bublegum flavor is in a bubblegum looking box, popcorn flavor is in a cute little popcorn bucket, the very cherry flavor has 2cheeries with hairbows kissing w a heart above them...you absolutely can not tell me that is marketing for a grown ass man.

So, yeah. I have some pretty strong feelings about it too.

MQ posted a good video about Juul on my vape thread, I'll try to link it over)

Edited by c9jane29
  • Like 6

I posted this earlier but I have a friend in his early 40's who never would have smoked a cigarette back in the high school days but is a vaper now and sees nothing wrong with it. 

These companies are targeting kids but also adults who are naive about nicotine.  Big tobacco knows what is doing and it is the same thing they were doing with cigarettes years ago.

• Like 6

Wow this is so true i had vaped for a while years ago and between all the juice flavors, coils, tanks, "drippers", batteries, and mods(the devices) i significantly Tleast quadrupled what i was spending on cigarettes and smoking well vaping almost constantly all dY everyday even in my house when i would never smoke a cigarette in my house....  That being said i was arguably more addicted to vaping and the lifestylr around it than i was smoking but ironically whent back to smoking as it was cheaper lmao! Vapinh started off cheaper but once i could handle bigger mods it was all about making the biggest cloud which obviously meant more juice needed to be bought and more expenaive devices some of which i paid 300$ for and had 5 or 6 totalvapes.... Lmao so sad.

Also truly sad tbat everything is marketed as safe and towards younger children to get a whole new group of people hooked....

This time i chose to not take another puff no matter what and that includes vapes!

So when someone asks me if i want to try there vape i just say no i dont smoke. They are usually deffensive that it is not me and i just explain to them that putti g anything in my lungs again will kickstart my addiction all over again!

So whileit can be tempting with all the flashy packages and greatsmells i choose not tovape!

Some people choose to vape and maybe its better for them than cigs and there not ready to quit fully more power too them but to me they are the same thing and i cannot takeeven 1 puff !

Great post thank you :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The first time I learned of vaping about six years ago, I was at a night club. Some tall, uppity looking woman was there with what looked like a cigarette and I asked if we were allowed to smoke in here (very few places allow it). Anyways she explains it is an electronic cigarette, and it is just harmless water vapor coming out.

So I wondered what the hell is the point of "smoking" water vapor? I do that every time i take an extra hot shower and the bathroom steams up. I didn't ask but it just sounded stupid.

I started to see vaping people out in public. Something about the way they did it and carried themselves screamed one thing - DOUCHE BAG. Like walking around all proud of their electronic cigarette like they were somehow sticking it to the man. At least cigarette smokers typically try to hide their habit. Vape people put their habit on display.

I asked someone about vaping and they explained you had to buy a bunch of stuff to get started. That and it really wasn't much cheaper than smoking REAL cigarettes.

People say they quit smoking but they started vape. That is not quitting, it is making a lateral move. It is like when a drunk quits drinking only to start downing bottle of cold medicine. Lateral move.

And that vape exhaust? The huge obnoxious cloud smells like someone puked after eating an entire bag of Halloween candy.

Vape companies are fighting tooth and nail to say it is not harmful or at least less so than cigarettes. Kind of like Camel said more doctors smoke camel. Cardiologists, lungologists, and even anusologists agreed.

I think the MOST healthy and most cost-effective is to not use ANY form of nicotine.

BTW, yesterday i had to go see a "cut the mole off the back of my legologist and her assistant smelled like a cigarette. I wanted to blurt out, "It smells like cigarettes" but no, if someone is chopping flesh off your thigh, it is best to be nice.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jet Black said:

Vape companies are fighting tooth and nail to say it is not harmful or at least less so than cigarettes. Kind of like Camel said more doctors smoke camel. Cardiologists, lungologists, and even anusologists agreed.

I think the MOST healthy and most cost-effective is to not use ANY form of nicotine.

Yup, i agree. Juju is one a lot are trying now. One person was telling me that they quit smoking ciggs and later picked up vaping, the said vaping is tougher to quit than ciggs .. Good read from carr https://www.allencarr.com/usa/news-and-media/is-vaping-harder-to-quit-than-cigarettes/

• Like 3

There might be more nicotine in a hit of vape than a puff of tobacco.

Either way, yeah I do not miss "needing" a smoke.

It's weird though cause the only times I have nicotine craves (even if real brief) is at night at home when I COULD feed such a habit.

• Like 1

Vaping is nuts! You can adjust the level of nicotine from what I understand and those huge clouds of "vapor" or whatever it is that they expel just looks ridiculous. As others have mentioned, it just seems people who vape take that thing in hand with them all the time! It's crazy. Like a security blanket or something - no thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2018 at 3:39 PM, My life, my recovery said:

Ok, so yesterday we were in this vaping store, because 'it's always nice to try different liquids'. Sure. I came along. I was shocked by all the flashy, shiny bottles and the marketing around it. The owner of the store was vaping as if his life was at stake and when I told him I quit smoking cigarettes, he was almost offended that I had not started vaping. I didn't feel like discussing the addiction subject at all. I was a bit sad when we left the store. There's something miserable in seeing grown men sucking on an electronical device and being all enthusiastic about flavours, voltage and everything. ?

But ok, who am I to say. Ahum. Have been Puffing Burning Sticks for years after all. 

I learned something about vaping I had not realized before.  I was talking to a guy I know through my work.  He's a vaper.  You never see him without that big clunky device with the glass tube on top in his hand.  He hangs out at some vape shop and apparently he's not the only one.  He goes there after work.  Spends hours in the place.  From the way he described it, it sounded like a pub environment.  Except instead of drinking booze they sit around and blow fruity smelling clouds at each other.  

I don't really have a point with this post.  I just thought it was weird that there is a whole "culture" out there that revolves around vaping.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boo said:

I learned something about vaping I had not realized before.  I was talking to a guy I know through my work.  He's a vaper.  You never see him without that big clunky device with the glass tube on top in his hand.  He hangs out at some vape shop and apparently he's not the only one.  He goes there after work.  Spends hours in the place.  From the way he described it, it sounded like a pub environment.  Except instead of drinking booze they sit around and blow fruity smelling clouds at each other.  

I don't really have a point with this post.  I just thought it was weird that there is a whole "culture" out there that revolves around vaping.

Cigar places out here the same environment, some of them drink there also. Thats been going on out here with the vape for 8-10 years. It really took off i'd say around 5 years ago but that was its peak. Its slowed since 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Whispers said:

Cigar places out here the same environment, some of them drink there also. Thats been going on out here with the vape for 8-10 years. It really took off i'd say around 5 years ago but that was its peak. Its slowed since 

Not to go off on a weird tangent, but it's strange that people can't just get together at some place and hang out for a bit without there being alcohol or smoke or vape involved.

As for hanging out in some place watching other people blow vape clouds...I'll paraphrase my dad here(for language purposes): I'd just as soon watch rats fornicate as to waste my time with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Scientists discover 'vaping worse for your health than smoking'

E-cigarettes dispense a vapour delivered from chemical liquids that traditionally contain propylene glycol, nicotine, and flavourings.

With the study highlighting the fact e-cigs generate similar levels of oxidative stress (cell damage) as standard cigarettes, the findings suggest more research into the long-term health effects of vaping are required.

"The observed detrimental effects in the lung upon e-cigarette vapour exposure in animal models highlight the need for further investigation of safety and toxicity of these rapidly expanding devices worldwide," Dr. Glynos concluded.

https://www.irishpost.com/life-style/vaping-worse-than-smoking-160890

• 1 month later...

I got quite the education on vaping tonight and this from a 17 year old kid. A junior in high school. I had heard he was vaping but the last time he was here I wasnt. So tonight was my opportunity to ask him about it. In front of his parents. Yes, they know that he vapes even though he's not of age ? He says he uses the non nicotine vape but my argument was is that safer? And just because the manufacturer says there's no nicotine in them, how does he know for sure? And if there isn't, what's in it to keep you going back for more? He says that he guesses about 50% of high school kids are vaping!

I then told him of the teenager who was hospitalized for wet lung. I also told him how when I was his age smoking was allowed literally everywhere not realizing all the damage smoking does. And how I was his age and had people my age telling me not to smoke and how I wish I had of listened.

Twenty years from now is when we will start seeing the ramifications of vaping. There can be nothing good about inhaling vapor. Moisture causes mold, will this be the new number 1 lung disease?

Lastly I told him about the three inhalers I use daily and the cost of each one and told him that if I didn't care about him I wouldn't be telling him any of this. I'm happy to say that he was actually pretty receptive to what I said and said he needed to hear it.

• Thanks 2