New quitter

TobacNO

Hi everyone, I smoked my last cigarette at 9:30 this evening. 

I've smoked since high school in the late 1970's and have put thousands of dollars in the tobacco companies pockets over the years but I've finally had enough. I'm in for a rough couple of weeks until I can control this addiction instead of letting it control me, But I've armed myself with nicotine patches, hard candy and plenty of gum to make things as easy as possible.

Really looking forward to a couple of weeks from now.. ?

Edited by TobacNO
  • Like 10

Hi TobacNo, welcome to the train and congratulations on taking back your life :) I smoked since high school too and continued for the next 35 years so if I can quit so can you :) Joining a forum imo is why I was able to succeed and I hope you find the same to be true because no one knows what we go through when quitting better than a group of fellow ex smokers right?!

• Like 7

Welcome aboard TobacNO and congratulations on finding your way here and arming yourself for this quit. Many or most of us smoked for more years than we care to remember. 

Read a lot, write as much as you wish and have the people here help you in the times you need help. Do write a preresponse in the SOS forum and I encourage you to post in the daily nope forum, promising yourself every day that you'll stick with the quit for the next 24 hours. 

• Like 5

Welcome to Quit Train TobacNo (love the name :)). Read as much as you can here on the forum and participate often as I think it's a great tool to help you in your quit journey. We can't quit for you but there will be a ton of people here wanting to help support you. No one knows the issues you will face like another quitter! Lean on us when you need to and use the resources here to help educate yourself about this addiction. Quitting has it's challenges but the process is so worth it in the end :) 

• Like 5

Congrats TobacNo! I hope you truly commit to the quit! There is no feeling like the FREEDOM you get from a good, educated quit. 

I have no experience with NRT but there are plenty here who do and lots of other info as well. 

A change in mindset early on will help the process...so please read about nicotine addiction and remember if you do it right, you only have to do it once! 

Well wishes TobacNo! Let us know how you are doing!

• Like 4

Welcome aboard TobacNo, great to have you along.  All above have given great tips, just remember to come here often and also to do the daily NOPE pledge -- it truly helps.  Also lots of cold water and deep breathing techniques.  

• Like 2

Welcome aboard the QTrain, TobacNo! Can't stress enough to read, read, read what is available here at the forum...it will galvanize your quit! Oh, and repeat after me....one day at a time! ?

• Like 4

Welcome TobacNo.  Congratulations on deciding to quit smoking.  You are doing a truly great thing.

Read as much as you can about this addiction here and don't be afraid to reach out if you are struggling.  Knowledge and support greatly increase your chances of quitting for good.

• Like 2

I am so glad you made it through the first 24 ! 

Please reward yourself, this will help your brain learn what true rewards are.

The Significance of Rewards

You are doing great,  TobacNo,  you are more powerful than any damn crave.

Congratulations.  You quit smoking !  That's marvelous, innit !

• Like 2

48 hours down finally!  I checked in here quite a few times today for inspiration, I really like checking my quit ticker and seeing how many cigs I haven't smoked. Two whole packs so far that I've managed to do without.  ?

It sure hasn't been fun but I'm so glad I finally took that first giant step and said Nope!  Hopefully day 3 will be a wee bit easier.

• Like 5

Stay strong and just focus hour by hour for now because you are in the early days and right in the thick of it now. That's OK because you can handle it all by just remaining true to your NOPE pledge! Do that and you'll be just fine! keep close to this board for support in your early days TobacNo! It will help you overcome the hurtles :) 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TobacNO said:

48 hours down finally!  I checked in here quite a few times today for inspiration, I really like checking my quit ticker and seeing how many cigs I haven't smoked. Two whole packs so far that I've managed to do without.  ?

It sure hasn't been fun but I'm so glad I finally took that first giant step and said Nope!  Hopefully day 3 will be a wee bit easier.

57 hours now TobacNo ! 

Already, your body has begun it's magical repair.

Blood pressure and pulse rate, your blood oxygen level are returning to normal

and damaged nerve endings have started to regrow !

Drink plenty of water to flush waste products from your kidneys and liver,

you are purging your body from a long list of awful chemicals.

Fruit juice will help your blood sugar levels.  

Take one day at a time, you will have good days/bad days.

You don't smoke anymore !  

So glad you are here,

• Like 3

@TobacNO welcome and congratulations. The first one for taking the decision to quit and hop on the QT and the second for 48 hours of staying quit. You have already received loads of valuable advice so all I will say is that guard your quit fiercely. Send out an SOS if you think you might smoke, and you will certainly get the support you need to get past that craving, and that's all it really is, just a craving, just our minds playing tricks on us. Welcome aboard again and holler if you need anything. Good Luck!!!

• Like 3