Why I fight for my quit everyday

Tammy

So I still have the occasional cravings, and they've become a bit frequent due to a lot of stress at work.

I know I'm supposed to be used to it, this roller coaster I'm on has been running for a while. However that nagging little voice keeps telling me quite a few times throughout the day - just one, what difference does it make? Just take a break ok, you can go back to being quit.

And this is what I tell that stupid voice...if it won't make a difference, why should I have even one? Will my work become less stressful with a puff?  I force myself to focus on how hard I've fought for my quit this time, and the lovely milestones each one of you on here celebrate each day. I'm in elite company, and I'd be a fool to give that up and give up on myself.

So when the urge comes knocking, I remember NOPE and keep telling myself "You're better than this, you're stronger than this and you won't be defeated by an imaginary voice in your head!" I'm prepared for the fight ahead, because there's no way I'm letting my guard down.

I've seen the benefits of quitting: not needing to hide that butt around kids, not worrying about slinking out to have a fag, not smelling like a burnt tobacco farm, not having to have way too many visits to the dentist and not having to spend money for this disgusting habit. Not having to hide the lighters, lest someone at home finds them (yes they didn't know I smoke, and they don't know I have quit), worrying I'll run out of air fresheners the odd time I used to smoke at home...oh god, the list is endless.

I fight for my quit everyday, because my quit is fighting for me!!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Hello Tammy,

Congratulations on your fine sturdy quit.

Our addict voice, once so dominant is slowly being quieted.

I don't think it ever becomes completely silenced, 

at least I hope it doesn't because we will always be one puff away from reigniting our addiction.

The voice has no power anymore but, I make it serve me as a warning, a reminder.

Do not be surprised at a weird crave, out of the blue or during times you haven't thought about smoking for months...years.

Addiction doesn't go away.  We can put it into a deep sleep but still....one puff and we are slaves again.

You said, 

"I fight for my quit everyday, because my quit is fighting for me!!! "

Stay vigilant.

The war is winding down but intermittent skirmishes can be dealt with by and by.

You have ALL the power now.

You Win.

This post, Red Flags

may be helpful in identifying unhelpful thoughts.

We all had/have them.

Also, some people have another hurdle around three months

when the 'shine' is gone from the quit leaving us a bit vulnerable, have a stroll through No Man,s Land

and another No Man's Land

Thank you for your energy here Tammy.

Your quit has been so useful to so many.

S

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great post Tammy! Sounds like you're entering No Mans Land. Just keep one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking out the door and those thoughts will start to fade

Edited by jillar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tammy you are doing great. There will be times when we feel more drawn back to our old way of handling situations. The important thing is to recognise the thought and see through the lie that a cigarette will help. You seem to be doing that just fine at the moment. 

Don't imagine you're alone in those thoughts, but it does get easier. Don't give yourself a hard time for having those thoughts, it is the actions that are crucial. 

Keep up the good work and we are here whenever you want to talk about these things. It is fantastic to have you here on the train. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are almost 3 months quit Tammy and those 3's can be difficult for some people! 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months. This addiction seems to know when we are at our weakest and tries to lure us back at the slightest opportunity. The addiction is fighting to get you back just as you are fighting to break free of the addiction. That's the mental battle that you will wage for some time but as long as you keep at it eventually, you WILL win! The addiction will be a mere memory and just an occasional thought :)  Breaking down those associations between smoking and all the emotions you experience in daily life is what takes a lot of time and conditioning. Be patient and follow what you have already been doing so far and you will be fine!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear QT friends,

Thank you for your kind words and support. I attribute my success in my quit to this forum, it really helped me get through some dark corners.

I will always always be wary of that nagging voice, and as @Sazerac mentioned, I will use it to serve me as a reminder every single day.

I'm really glad to be on here, thank you for all you do, for everyone on the forum. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Tammy said:

Dear QT friends,

Thank you for your kind words and support. I attribute my success in my quit to this forum, it really helped me get through some dark corners.

I will always always be wary of that nagging voice, and as @Sazerac mentioned, I will use it to serve me as a reminder every single day.

I'm really glad to be on here, thank you for all you do, for everyone on the forum. 

Yeah well you better not go anywhere, your our only Indian Princess and we need to you to stick around because you are already paying it forward with the support you are giving to those coming behind you and for everyone else to boot. There might be 500 gazillion people in India but you vanish and I will hunt you, and I will find you..... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great job! It is crazy how differently we can see our tobacco use once we quit. While smoking i didnt even think it really smelt bad at allbut one month in and smelling people coming back inside from smoking and ewwwwww! So grateful to be quit. Not one more puffno matter what!

• Like 3

On 9/16/2018 at 12:05 PM, notsmokinjo said:

Yeah well you better not go anywhere, your our only Indian Princess and we need to you to stick around because you are already paying it forward with the support you are giving to those coming behind you and for everyone else to boot. There might be 500 gazillion people in India but you vanish and I will hunt you, and I will find you..... :D

Love you too Jo, sorry just saw this :D

• Thanks 1