Avian is 8 years smoke free

notsmokinjo

Congratulations @Avian for being 8 years smoke free!

What a fantastic achievement and gift you have given yourself.  For the positive contributions you have made to the quits of many here, thank you. Hopefully you have something special planned to celebrate and rejoice at your 8 years as a non-smoker. Well done on KTQ. 

WoohooBirdInHighHeelsvi-vi.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Jo and everyone!

If someone had not reminded me yesterday that it has been 8 years since I quit smoking, I probably would have forgotten all about it. NOT!!  Until dementia sets in I will never forget the day I chose to, at least try, to quit smoking and it became a success. I can NEVER forget such an accomplishment.

I will never forget the first day where I was so scared and  went from minute to minute consumed with the thought that I will never smoke again. How was I going to do everyday tasks, drink coffee or wine, have a good meal, have interesting conversations, have fun, reward myself for a job well done, deal with stress, all without a cigarette being involved? OMG what if somebody close to me died? I would for sure have to smoke then. Everything that could have gone wrong the first few weeks did go wrong, including a loved ones death,  but as difficult as it was, I fought through the urges. I didn't complicate it. Each time I had an urge to smoke, I would stop what I was doing, tell myself "smoking is not an option, now get on with life" and continue with whatever  I was doing. I must have told myself that thousands of times. It was something that really helped me. 

It is so worth all the difficulties you have to go through to be free from cigarettes. Everyone's timeline is different, but you will gradually get to a point where you realize you are no longer fighting the addiction, take a deep breath and settle in to a comfortable non smoker's life. AND each year it gets even better.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3