Kids and e-cigs

c9jane29

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fda-gives-e-cigarette-makers-183914968.html

It's a start...I watched 2 young boys walk down my block passing a vape thing between them...huge clouds of white following them. Very sad...prob stole it from their parents and filled it with nicotine that taste like candy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Yes, it is a start. I have friends who are letting their teenage son vape in front of them even though neither of them have ever smoked! Supposedly the vape is nicotine free but some studies say that there are other chemicals in them besides nicotine that are hooking these kids ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Will these kids go from vape to a crack pipe? Oxygen is all we should put in our lungs....

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - People who smoke high-voltage e-cigarettes have greater exposure to formaldehyde, a suspected carcinogen, than those who keep the voltage low, according to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday.

The study, which critics say is misleading and lacks context, is the latest contribution to a debate on the safety of e-cigarettes that has so far has yielded little long-term data, though most experts believe they are less toxic than combustible cigarettes.

Researchers from Portland State University took flavored nicotine liquid made by Halo Cigs, a private company, and tested it in a personal vaporizer from Innokin. The vaporizer allows consumers to adjust the voltage from 3.3V to 5.0V. The higher the voltage the greater the nicotine kick, but also the greater the amount of formaldehyde.

E-cigarette liquids typically contain propylene glycol, which when heated is known to release formaldehyde gas. "Vaping" at high voltage also produced formaldehyde-containing compounds known as hemiacetals, the researchers found.

Edited by Whispers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I've said it before and I'll repeat myself once more: big tobacco is well aware of the current trends in nicotine delivery systems.  The same merchants of death who peddled the deadliest consumer product in the history of the world have diversified and are now heavily invested in the e-cig market.  Only the gadget is new.  The bullshit is the same as it ever was.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

OK... so the big argument is "its less toxic than combustible cigarette" .... IT'S STILL TOXIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

So, lets say I took a shit on your lounge room floor... and it was a huge one, would make a cow feel inadequate about its pats huge... and say I took a shit in your rumpus room but it was tiny, I mean there was hardly any shit there at all.. that second shit, that was less shit than the first one, would be ok because its less shit, right? Yeah-Nah... shit is shit and toxins are toxins.... no level should be acceptable and I can guarantee there would be an issue if I shit in any room of your houses regardless of how big or small it was... so how then can it be acceptable that less toxins are ok. Seriously?? 

Arguing that LESS toxins makes it better is complete bullshit! How do they get away with this????

OK... so maybe a bit controversial here but if I had a loved one who didn't want to quit and they switched to NRT gum... I'd be happy with that as a smoking alternative... but vaping.. nope just as bad as far as I am concerned.

• Haha 2

Nope, I agree, big shit/little shit... all stinks. (Please stop shitting in the house Jo or you have to go outside?)

19 hours ago, jillar said:

I have friends who are letting their teenage son vape in front of them even though neither of them have ever smoked! 

I hate that they are creating a whole new addict...someone that would never pick up a cigarette might just try "very cherry" nicotine thru a "sleek" e-device. 

14 hours ago, Boo said:

The same merchants of death who peddled the deadliest consumer product in the history of the world have diversified and are now heavily invested in the e-cig market

Its like we do not remember history...

10 hours ago, Rozuki said:

^^My sister is one of them! ?

My dad too, he was a never smoker that read about it,and got one for my mom to use to quit smoking. She didn't like it so he started using it...constantly. 

I just hate it. I know any effort to "control this epidemic" is just a smoke screen. We've seen it before...big tabacco is a one trick pony, no matter how many costumes they wear.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rozuki said:

^^Jane, My sister uses it constantly also...almost like it has become a pacifier...it is always in her hand and she is always puffing away on it! ?

My good friend uses it, tells me when he gets the urge he vapes it out . It becomes their crutch.... I stopped trying to educate him until he asks for help.

Edited by Whispers
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, Boo said:

I've said it before and I'll repeat myself once more: big tobacco is well aware of the current trends in nicotine delivery systems.  The same merchants of death who peddled the deadliest consumer product in the history of the world have diversified and are now heavily invested in the e-cig market.  Only the gadget is new.  The bullshit is the same as it ever was.

This !!!!.....100 per cent !!!!

• Like 2

The worst part of vaping is that it is the douchebag method of ingesting nicotine. Kind of like driving a Toyota Prius.

They walk around doing that vaping crap like it is SOOOO cool.

Also, they claim vaping is less toxic than cigarettes. Somehow I find that hard to believe. Think of this also - a smoker puts off a little bit of smoke with each exhale. A vape slave though puts off more smoke/steam/whatever than a ninja ever did.

• Haha 2

Stanford Medicine

Learning Objectives

1. Obtain accurate knowledge about pod-based systems (e.g., JUUL, PHIX, Suorin) and how they are made to work like a cigarette
  2. Identify marketing strategies employed by pod-based system manufacturers (e.g., JUUL, PHIX, Suorin) to attract new customers
  3. Learn about the effects that nicotine in pod-based systems (e.g., JUUL, PHIX, Suorin) has on the adolescent body and brain
  4. Identify specific marketing strategies that the pod-based system manufacturers (e.g., JUUL, PHIX, Suorin) use that may increase use among adolescents
  5. Understand the appeal of pod-based systems (e.g., JUUL, PHIX, Suorin) among adolescents in order to counter the appeal

Teachers should go through each unit and download the PowerPoint for class presentation. Teachers should also download the accompanying activities for in-class activities. Speakers' notes are embedded in the PowerPoint. Activities are meant to be printed for students before class begins. Each Unit has a Kahoot! Quiz linked below and can be used as a pre and post quiz to see how much students know before and after instruction. Discussion Guides found below can be assigned as take-home assignments.

Click on link for all the instructional materials

https://med.stanford.edu/tobaccopreventiontoolkit/E-Cigs/ECigUnit6.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

I have a friend from high school who NEVER would have smoked cigarettes back in the day.  20 years later, he now vapes and sees nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, big tobacco knows exactly what they are doing in hooking this next generation of nicotine users, mostly kids but also adults who never would have smoked nasty-smelling tobacco cigarettes.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

On 9/15/2018 at 9:21 AM, johnny5 said:

I have a friend from high school who NEVER would have smoked cigarettes back in the day.  20 years later, he now vapes and sees nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, big tobacco knows exactly what they are doing in hooking this next generation of nicotine users, mostly kids but also adults who never would have smoked nasty-smelling tobacco cigarettes.

In the news out here today is the e-cigg/vape discussions. Kids are now using them to smoke pot, i personally dont think pot is the worst drug a person can use but the topic of how the e-cigg/vape is creating addictive personalities is the focus.  https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how-many-us-kids-are-vaping-marijuana

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Whispers said:

In the news out here today is the e-cigg/vape discussions. Kids are now using them to smoke pot, i personally dont think pot is the worst drug a person can use but the topic of how the e-cigg/vape is creating addictive personalities is the focus.  https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how-many-us-kids-are-vaping-marijuana

Yes, the rig is similar...there are coils inside that super heat the wax (this stuff literally looks like earwax) to "vapor" It's concentrated THC so I can imagine we will begin to see our first marijuana addicts even "overdoses" from using this way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The first patent for an electronic cigarette was filed in 1927.... the first commercially viable one had a patent filed in 1963... but none of the tobacco companies would take it up, it is believed they were just waiting for the patent to expire so they could get the tech for free.... its nothing new but its like they sat on it until cigarettes became so unviable that it was time to have a plan B ready to go... which just makes me even angrier at big tobacco.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Don't want to keep beating the vape horse but this was an exciting article to wake up to!!

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/13/juul-stops-selling-e-cigarette-flavors-social-media-promotions/

And, a little icing on the cake

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/be010206-bc2c-3066-b81c-a328739dfb3b/threat-of-a-looming-ban-on.html

Edited by c9jane29
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Selling a "highend" lifestyle

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/14/british-american-tobacco-tastemakers-dunhill-ahead-kent/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000621

"To survive [tobacco companies] have got to get new smokers, because they're killing globally 6 million people a year," she said. "Those are smokers they need to replace in order to carry on making profits."

This sh** makes me so mad...I hate that I wasted so much time and money and life on this crap. I'm sad for those still smoke (especially those that claim they love it). I want to take lies and denial covering their eyes, but I can't....only they can.

But! I'm so glad I saw the light! I'm thankful the train is here to keep picking up new passangers that want their freedom back! 

Wear those quits with pride! 2days, 3 weeks, 6months, it doesn't matter! WE are fighting the good fight! Feel good about that!

Edited by c9jane29