wellbutrin or chantix

christine 12

Personally I had a very bad experience with Chantix (called Champix in Aus) but I have 3 friends who have had great success with it. One was a smoker of 40+ years and at least a pack a day and she did Chantix and has been quit now for 5 years. The other had 2 goes at chantix, the first time he didn't do the full 3 scrips course just the first 2 and his quit was not sticky... a few years later he went back and tried it again and is now 2 years smoke free, but he says you have to do all 3 courses. I have another friend who is currently 10 months smoke free after smoking for 30+ years. She has tried many times to quit and never gone beyond a month or 2, she swears by it.

I also have friends who it was not successful for... because they didn't do the full course, all 3 scripts, or they thought it was a magic cure all that was going to just stop their addiction and craves and they would be a non-smoker. From my friends who have had success with this they all treated it as a tool to help them quit that was just something to ease things, not something to just turn of the smoking urge. They went in with realistic expectations, expecting to have to fight craves and urges and 'wanting' smokes. The were realistic that it wasn't going to stop all or that but it might just make it easier. All of them saw this as there last chance and all or them had health issues which smoking was impacting so they had incentive to boost there dedication to the quit.

While its not for me... I have seen it work for others and if you think you need something to help push you over the edge to success then go for it. I know we have others here who have used it so hopefully one of them will come in to chat.

Make sure you discuss any other medications with your doctor in detail and make sure they check to make sure there are no clashes. Stay close to your doctor because there can be side effects, some common some not, but if you are using this method please do it with your doctors regular support.

There is no wrong way to quit, there is no right way to quit.... a quit is a quit is a quit... you can do this and be successful.

• Like 3

Yes, I quit using Chantix.  It took the edge off the cravings, but I still had to do the work.  You have to decide that there are absolutely no circumstances in which it is okay to smoke.  Regardless of how you quit, you are going to be uncomfortable, even miserable on occasion.  Scream, cry,  rant, rave, run, dance, sing....anything but smoke.  And you must remember there is no such thing as "one puff, or one cigarette."  Thi s quit needs to become the most important thing in your life.  Quit making excuses for yourself, asking how many times other people tried, and commit to your own quit!!

• Like 5

Gday

Yes I quit with Champix. 

Like others have said it's a tool you have to supply the motivation to remain quit. Not One Puff Ever is me.

Im nearly 3 years into rest of life quit....I've gained so much and never miss trying to kill myself with smoking.

C

• Like 4