hurricanes

Sazerac

I was just checking that out too sally. Two tropical storms behind Florence and tropical storm Paul, my hubbys name lol, in the Pacific. 

I hope all our East coasters and Gulf coasters stay safe and dry, we're thinking about you guys

• Like 3

We have Paul723, in the hills.

also Boo is somewhere around. 

Nancy in Knoxville  might get a big rain event.

It looks like this thing is likely to stall once it hits land.  Never a good thing.

Devil Doll in Savannah.

Our Johnny, of course.

Lust4life is in S Eastern US.

I'm in NOLA.

Roz is on Long Island, NY.

Colleen is MA North Shore.

I wish we had a map with all of us listed.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, Sazerac said:

A lot of rain this afternoon.  Flash flooding in spots.  No high winds to speak of.  Things have slowed to a steady downpour in the last hour or so.

For those of you closer to the frontlines of these storms: godspeed and hunker down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

18 hours ago, jillar said:

Yea Johnny is over in North Carolina too ?

Yeah, I live in the Raleigh area.  I am a couple of hours inland from the coast but that doesn't matter a lot when there is a category 4 storm (as it currently is) and Raleigh seems to be in the center of the projected path.

For @Sazerac or anyone else wanting local coverage of Hurricane Florence, WRAL is one of the top local networks here and their weather coverage is quite good.

https://www.wral.com/

and

https://www.wral.com/weather/

Dan "Big Weather" Schwenneker is a meteorologist on a rival station here and his twitter feed is pretty good at covering storms.

https://twitter.com/BigweatherABC11

18 hours ago, Rozuki said:

I hope Florence takes a hard right soon! My niece and her family just moved to Wilmington NC August 1st and it is on the coast! ?

I love Wilmington.  It is one of my favorite parts of NC.  Obviously the beaches are nice but the downtown district by the Cape Fear River is awesome.  I also hope the storm takes a hard right soon and spares that area.

My parents have a place at the beach slightly north of Wilmington and they are expecting extensive damage there...as well as probably here in Raleigh.  ?

WECT is a news network in Wilmington that is covering the storm..

http://www.wect.com/

Yeah, I'm definitely concerned.

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 4

Thanks for the links @johnny5

you are right, they have excellent coverage.

here is a 'refreshable'

animated loop of the Atlantic

and a good Weather Underground Blog

click on latest entry and scroll down to the comments.

Some are very informative.

Don't forget Levi's 

Tropical Tidbits

he will have a post later this evening.

and of course, The National Hurricane Center

This is a serious storm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

Thanks @Sazerac 

We've discussed this before but I'm a weather geek too.  I'm very familiar with Weather Underground  but Levi's Tropical Tidbits is new to me.  Thanks for sharing this link.  This looks really good.

I discovered Levi on the Weather Underground blog comments, someone gave a link a few years ago.

Levi is tops.  He is calm and super informative, a true teacher. 

Plus , his site has lots of geek stuff,

like airplane reconnaissance data and lots of things I hope to understand some day. lol.

Thanks again for the local links.  I was impressed with their delivery...not frantic but, well informed.

Stay as dry  as possible, J.

S

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

This is a serious storm.

Florence has already been upgraded to Category 4 and is on the brink of becoming a Category 5 hurricane.

I'm trying to think of something positive to say here, but this doesn't look good.

6 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Thanks for checking in @Boo & @johnny5 ... stay dry and safe you blokes.

We just had a "rain event" here in my neck of the woods today.  No big deal.  And looking at the track of the incoming hurricane, it looks like inland storming will likely stay to the east of here.

Best wishes to Johnny and all of our friends in the Carolinas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2018 at 11:49 PM, Sazerac said:

Nancy in Knoxville  might get a big rain event.

It looks like this thing is likely to stall once it hits land.  Never a good thing.

Devil Doll in Savannah.

Our Johnny, of course.

Lust4life is in S Eastern US.

I'm in NOLA.

Roz is on Long Island, NY.

Colleen is MA North Shore.

I wish we had a map with all of us listed.

Thanks sazerac- I’m far enough inland to be spared.   I’m watching this beast- hoping she is downgraded or takes a right.  I’m thinking of all of you in her path.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Just leave now... all the reports of people saying we will stay put for now... just go she is slow moving which means she is just getting bigger and bigger... and then the prediction that once she hits land she is going to prop or slow further.... this is one of those disasters that seems to be coming in slow motion and it doesn't feel good watching from down here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@notsmokinjo, the one time my sister was able to get my mom to evacuate my mom slipped on the hotel wet stairs and broke a bone. She will never evacuate again which means neither will my sister because she stays for my mom.

The important thing to note here is that when they call for mandatory evacuations by a certain time, at least in Florida, it means that after that time there will be no emergency personal to respond until the order is lifted. Not sure if the Carolinas are the same but it's worth the risk to go to safer ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1