hurricanes

Sazerac

54 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

So true, Lusty one, and the Gulf water is hot as hades right now., perfect for trouble.

It looks like another panhandle of Florida event.

You are right, @notsmokinjo,  Levi is a prince, here Tropical Tidbits.

Not good   https://www.ventusky.com/?p=24.4;-70.4;4&l=temperature-2m

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hoping for the best for the folks in Florida and Georgia, in the direct path of Michael. 

South Carolina and North Carolina are also in his path as a tropical storm.  There wasn't much flooding in my area but areas closely south of here are still dealing with high rivers, flooding damage, etc.  The last thing they need is more rain.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

22 hours ago, SmokeFree said:

Thank you so much for the ventusky link, SmokeFree.

It is v. cool.  Watching the temp, waves, wind, etc.  V. cool.

I heard Charleston was flooding because of the King tides last night

and you are right, Johnny.  Nobody in that part of the country needs anymore water.

ugh.

• Thanks 1

It's entirely possible that I wasn't paying attention, but did this storm escalate quickly as compared to other storms?

It seems like we typically hear from sources tracking these storms for at least a few days before they make landfall.  With Michael, it feels like it practically popped up overnight.

To any of our friends on the Gulf Coast: Godspeed and be safe.

• Like 5

Just now, Boo said:

It's entirely possible that I wasn't paying attention, but did this storm escalate quickly as compared to other storms?

It seems like we typically hear from sources tracking these storms for at least a few days before they make landfall.  With Michael, it feels like it practically popped up overnight.

To any of our friends on the Gulf Coast: Godspeed and be safe

I noticed the same thing.  I am praying for all in its path.  

• Like 5

Prayers coming from down here.

Michael is moving super quick, normal takes more than 24 hrs to go from cat 1 to 3, can even take days but ... Michael went from 1 to 3 in less than 7 hrs and then to 4 in a few more hours. Super quick so going to go deep.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Boo said:

It escalated pretty rapidly.  It was one MPH below Category 5 at landfall (155 mph) after just forming a few days ago.

For the weather geeks, some info on Michael from CNN:

Hurricane Michael is already a historic storm for it's sheer power. But how powerful? Here are a few key stats to put this storm in perspective.

Michael is the strongest hurricane to strike the FL Panhandle on record.
    Michael is the strongest storm to make landfall in the continental US since Hurricane Andrew in 1992.
    Michael’s pressure (919 millibars) was lower than Hurricane Andrew and the third lowest pressure ever measured in a hurricane making landfall in the US.
    Tropical-storm-force wind speeds stretch for more than 320 miles.
    More than 30 million people are under Hurricane or Tropical Storm Warnings or Watches.
    Watches and Warnings for the storm extend to six states: MS, AL, FL, GA, SC, NC.

Prayers for @Lust4Life and everyone else impacted by this.

Edited by johnny5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

@johnny5 Ugh. What a beast!   My family is ok; trees down in yard ; one fell on my mom’s house but did not break thr/ roof thank heavens.  They are trapped in their neighborhoods due to downed power lines & trees.  My friends on the coast evacuated but will come back to devastation- Mexico Beach, Port St Joe got pummeled.   Winds & rain picking up in my neck of the woods now.   We grilled a steak, baked a potato, poured some wine...enjoying the AC.  It is raining & crazy humid outside. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Lust4Life said:

@johnny5 Ugh. What a beast!   My family is ok; trees down in yard ; one fell on my mom’s house but did not break thr/ roof thank heavens.  They are trapped in their neighborhoods due to downed power lines & trees.  My friends on the coast evacuated but will come back to devastation- Mexico Beach, Port St Joe got pummeled.   Winds & rain picking up in my neck of the woods now.   We grilled a steak, baked a potato, poured some wine...enjoying the AC.  It is raining & crazy humid outside. 

Relieved your people are OK.   The ferocity wasn't unexpected.  The gulf is boiling hot and perfect for a hurricane.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lust4Life said:

@johnny5 how are things in your area? Glad to see you online = you’re OK.  My friend in Greensboro said the winds were terrible- she lost power around 1pm. 

My power just came back on about an hour ago.  There were a lot of trees down but nothing like what you guys saw.

I used to live in Greensboro.  It seemed like the damage was worse in NC the further west you went.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sazerac said:

Nadine the hurricane is headed towards Portugal

@MrTitWank  ???

Yeah, stay safe, Stewie.  I just looked this up and it is about to hit Portugal.

Crazy weather....hurricanes and tropical storms hardly ever hit Europe.

Edited by johnny5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3